• April 26, 2024, 11:56:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2010 DS MBB bad and not available need Bypass  (Read 1514 times)

Timstef

• View Profile
2010 DS MBB bad and not available need Bypass
« on: August 26, 2018, 05:39:01 AM »

Since I cannot find a Main Bike Board for my 2010 DS I am hoping to find a way around that part of Zero’s system to continue riding it. Story is a bought a month ago and have been enjoying it learning all the ins and outs of electric motorcycles. I had been chasing an issue but riding and getting 25 miles out of it averaging 40mph. A week ago I hooked up a volt gauge to see how far I could run it down till the BMS cut out the motor, that was 44.1 volts. I put it back on the charger and it popped back up to 58 volts. Went to turn it back on BMS beeped all good and then nothing. Went through everything and determined that the MBB is shot, burnt board. Would love to get back up and running but Zero no longer has the mbb available.  I have been reading a bunch of old posts on the forum but looking for some help.

2x0

• View Profile
Re: 2010 DS MBB bad and not available need Bypass
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »

Can you explain how you arrived at the "burnt board" diagnosis?  What controller is in there?  How many of the functions of the MBB/BMS combo can you live without?

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fixed-a-zero-xu.1293998/

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7232.0

Timstef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 06:10:34 AM »

See pic of board.
Would love to keep as many things as possible but since zero abandoned the early stuff, I am coming to the conclusion that straight battery to controller is my only way to go. Volt meter would be just fine and can hook up speedo in place. Without a BMS I do have concerns about keeping balanced.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »

If Zero No longer sells or supports that board, try asking if they can give you a circuit diagram so you can have it repaired.

2x0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »

I thought the MBB would be potted but it does look fixable if you had the right component.

If you bypass the mbb and wire it like a golf cart, a programmable controller could provide some of the features of the mbb.  I'm not sure if the bms and or charger would work independently without the mbb, though.

Timstef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:26:59 AM »

In 2010 the MBB was a board in a clamshell case in the battery box then in 2011 they moved it outside the battery then it was potted.
I did find a wiring diagram which helps but still tracing down power going in to the mbb and then what is going through it.
The BMS and the 12volt converter are before the MBB but there is something like a low voltage control wire that is not powering everything up. I am hoping that I can eliminate/bypass only what is not working.

igorbaldo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »

I'm afraid you will have to eliminate the BMS also... or maybe leave it connected to the battery pack, but losing the functionality implemented through the MBB (safety interlock, battery gauge). This diagram should help you to hardwire the system: https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Doc100-081-A_DWG-AXE-PermMag-no-Rev-wire-dia.pdf
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:09:40 PM by igorbaldo »
2010 Zero DS w/ belt drive
2010 Suzuki Burgman 400
1997 Honda NX 350 Sahara

Timstef

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »

This discussion was moved to another thread noted below.
PS I did retain full functionality on the BMS including lowest voltage cutout.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8244.0
Pages: [1]