• May 06, 2024, 08:29:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Repair ISO MBB for 2010 DS or S (previously WTB)  (Read 1226 times)

Timstef

• View Profile
Repair ISO MBB for 2010 DS or S (previously WTB)
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:44:16 AM »

I need a Main Bike Board for a 2010 DS and assume S would work as well. I picked up a 2010 DS and have been enjoying it learning all the ins and outs of electric motorcycles. I have been chasing an issue but riding and getting 25 miles out of it averaging 40mph. I ran it down all the way till the BMS cut out the motor put it back on the charger and it popped back up to 58 volts. Went to turn it back on BMS beeped and then nothing. Went through everything and determined that the MBB is shot, burnt board. Would love to get back up and running but Zero no longer has them available.

Timstef

• View Profile
Re: Repair ISO MBB for 2010 DS or S (previously WTB)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 04:06:26 AM »

No longer need, cut out the mbb harness and direct wiring.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 02:12:00 PM »

No longer need, cut out the mbb harness and direct wiring.
Hmm. Moving topic from Buy/Sell/Trade. Got pictures or video of your repair? Could be helpful to others...

Timstef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »

Since shadow moved this to the discussion portion I thought I would update the project for removing the 2010 Main bike board (mbb) and wiring direct.  Prior to the mbb going out I would get 57.9-58 volts from a charge and 25 miles @ 45 mph average. Given I still have life left in the battery I thought it was worth salvaging.  I wanted as many functions as I could keep, basically only lost all the safety interlocks that were controlled by the mbb.  The stock D.C. Converter was used to go from 48volts to 12 volts (13.5 actual)so I have all the 12v stock functions like green system light, headlight hi/low, turn signals, speedometer, tripometer, horn, stock 5k throttle assembly, kill switch, and key assembly.  I could not find the feed for the fuel gauge so I mounted a volt gauge where the warning blinker light used to be (that was controlled by the mbb as well). I was able to utilize the stock charger with all stock wiring and maintain all functions of the battery management system (BMS).  I get the beep for acceptable voltage on start up and it will alert me if I turn power on while the charger is plugged in.  It will beep when it hits the low voltage point which is around 44.1 volts on my battery pack. The mbb controlled the safety shutdowns so I don't have the low voltage pulsing feedback through the motor or the motor shutdown for high temperature and maximum low voltage (volt gauge used instead) also no way to keep the current sensor which fed into the mbb. Since the 2010 has the constant on fan and I was able to wire that up, I am not concerned about the motor getting hot enough to overheat.
I utilized this forum to gather as much info as possible but there was a lot of time spent tracing wire with the ohm function and volt meter. I will include pictures and as much reference material as I can over the next week or so.  Pics of when I started and will add mods as I can. I need to finish up the modified wiring harness. 

Timstef

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:24:02 AM »

Took the bike out again last night and everything is working great got about 25 miles out of it with a little left in capacity. I did run it down past the 44.1 volt mark as well and it did beep at me and I was surprised that the BMS actually slowed down the motor.  Then the volt meter I have hooked to the BMS output went dark. This confirmed what DrBass had in an old post on rerouting past the mbb to determine lowest voltage, this is the yellow plug and black wire on one end then the gray wire that I connected to it cuts power to protect the battery.
Pages: [1]