• September 24, 2024, 11:22:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tesla Charge Port to CCS Converter  (Read 743 times)

PWM

• View Profile
Tesla Charge Port to CCS Converter
« on: April 21, 2022, 09:41:30 AM »

Understanding that Tesla owners are allowed to charge 3rd party vehicles at Tesla charge stations, yes?

Need to mount an external charge port on my EvaRibelle because the TopBox carrier requires seat removal and when traveling this becomes an issue, been trying hard to make improvement to TopBox mount but will not compromise load carrying capacity and proven approach.

The CCS charge handles are much bulkier than a Tesla charger handle, have not studied circuits or any such stuff would appreciate sanity check, is this doable in terms of required hand-shake protocol? 

More convenient charging opportunity and smaller connector form factor are design drivers.  Looking for cots solution not something that requires coding unless it is open source and proven.

BTW - removable seat in certain circumstances is a very good thing - looking forward to enhancing what already works.

Advance thank you - with the crummy winter weather nearing a close and day job demands easing a bit making plans for Energica enjoyment is on the mind...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:53:13 AM by PWM »
BMW eK75 Conversion (Retired)
Energica EVA Ribelle (Black Frame Matters)

PWM

• View Profile

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Tesla Charge Port to CCS Converter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 12:09:29 PM »

Tesla Destination level 2 EVSE != Supercharger

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 12:40:28 PM »

The only place this is allowed is in the Netherlands. Outside of there you aren't charging anything but a Tesla at a Tesla supercharger.

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 01:14:38 PM »

Gotcha - no magic. 

CCS receptacle it is then, no problem. 

Apt to put it on a pigtail and rig it for travel only given how porky this sounds.

Appreciate the prompt replies!

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 07:03:25 PM »

The only place this is allowed is in the Netherlands. Outside of there you aren't charging anything but a Tesla at a Tesla supercharger.

They opened up non-Tesla Supercharging in Norway and France in January. It's on the way here in the states since there's going to be a lot of federal money on the table for Tesla when they do. Though I'm not yet sure if they'll make dual cable stalls or sell CCS1 adapters.
2020 Energia Ego

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 03:40:04 PM »

Well, I think to use the US SC's you'd need a female Tesla to male CCS adapter. Surely there will be some 3rd party products when the SC's open up in North America? In Europe, Tesla is selling a CCS kit which goes the other way around: They update software on the charger and the deliver a CCS female to Tesla male adapter so the Tesla-only models can use the widely available CCS chargers here.
Come to think of it they should install some dual stalls at the locations when they open up for other brands, not much use opening them up if nobody can use the plug right?

PWM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 07:10:48 AM »

Integrated to bike w/o altering stock setup - hacking something like this was the original thinking...
https://evadept.com/tesla-supercharger-to-ccs-adapter-guide/

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 09:55:50 PM »

Integrated to bike w/o altering stock setup - hacking something like this was the original thinking...
https://evadept.com/tesla-supercharger-to-ccs-adapter-guide/

I'd hate to lug that round in my car or even worse, my backpack while riding.
2020 Energia Ego

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 03:03:18 PM »

They also have some Superchargers in Norway that is open to other brands. PM Motor (Norwegian Energica dealer) showed a pic on twitter where they were charging an SS9 RS there.
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 03:07:51 PM »

Too bad Tesla charges 71ct/kWh here in NL for non-Tesla vehicles, despite already having a Tesla and an account. At 8km/kWh that's gas prices here. Guess the convenience is also in the price ;)

MrMogensen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 03:36:56 PM »

Too bad Tesla charges 71ct/kWh here in NL for non-Tesla vehicles, despite already having a Tesla and an account. At 8km/kWh that's gas prices here. Guess the convenience is also in the price ;)

So there IS a price difference?
It makes sense that other brands pay more so Tesla customers pay less. Having a Model 3 myself I can deal with that  ;D
/// MrMogensen ///
Former Yamaha FZ6 (since 2008) now sold and find myself wanting a Ribelle.

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 01:20:58 AM »

How often are we really using DCFC stations? Are the heavy users unable to charge at home/work?

I personally supercharge my Model 3 Performance 2 times a year at most despite driving 16k miles in the same time.
2020 Energia Ego

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2022, 03:10:43 AM »

How often are we really using DCFC stations? Are the heavy users unable to charge at home/work?

I personally supercharge my Model 3 Performance 2 times a year at most despite driving 16k miles in the same time.

I almost exclusively charge my SS9 from DC stations. We charge our Model X 99% of the time at SuperCharging stations because we bought it with the Free SuperCharging for Life promotion. Monterey Bay, where I am, has extremely high electricity costs. So high, in fact, that it's often cheaper to charge at a public station than at home.

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 03:33:37 AM »

I live in a very walkable area and only do short trips to the climbing gym and visiting some friends in a nearby town. I do a lot more miles on longer trips where I'll DC charge 2 or 3 times along the way.
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos
Pages: [1] 2