• September 24, 2024, 01:27:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tesla charge adapter  (Read 3391 times)

Zluz

• View Profile
Tesla charge adapter
« on: November 09, 2018, 03:42:14 AM »

I can confirm that the Tesla High-Power Wall Connector (HPWC) and the Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) can be used to charge an Energica Ego using a TeslaTap adapter.
I believe that since it works with the HPWC it would also work for destination chargers (which may be the same thing).
This would not work on a Tesla Supercharger.

This is the adapter I tested was the TeslaTap 40 amp:
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=102

This is an alternate adapter but I have no experience with it:
https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla charge adapter
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 04:52:22 AM »

Great report glad to hear!

The TeslaTap adapter at UMC-1772 website you've just mentioned is the same unit that earned a positive review from the Tesla Time News / Now You Know producers:

I've heard some bickering and of bad business deals in the effort to get these kinds of adapters to market; If you've had a *bad* experience with these type of adapters please comment and include who you bought it from and what the issue was with it. I'm not sure if it matters who you buy the adapter from because so far as I am aware the parts are all being machined from the same design spec.

Zluz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 05:14:25 AM »

Ooh, I hadn't heard about the bad business deals. I might have thought twice about the purchase if I thought there was any risk.
I did know the possibility existed that there may be incompatibility between the power connectors and the adapter or between this adapter and the Energica. That's why I thought it was valuable to share my experience.

Regarding the purchase experience I was very happy with how things worked.
I ordered online from that link, paid using paypal, shipped priority 2-day.
I placed the order Thursday afternoon and I was emailed a tracking number the same day. It arrived Monday.

The adapter was well packaged and included some instructions. It did not include a lock.
I had seen some review of a Tesla-J1772 adapter that included a small padlock but this item did not. I would rather save the few bucks then get a tiny lock anyway.

This item feels solidly built. I do plan to wrap the Tesla port in heat-shrink tubing (this end seems to be a big chunk of milled aluminum) so it doesn't scratch anything.

The fit of the Tesla plug into the adapter is tight but I guess it has to be since there is no mechanical lock to engage; it is held in with friction.
The fit of the J1772 plug into the Energica seems to have a little room around the lock solenoid. I was able to press the release while the lock was supposed to be engaged. This could have been my fault; I may not have had the plug seated in all the way.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:18:59 AM by Zluz »

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 06:00:24 AM »

Why is Brandon in their video for a product that is not diginow branded?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 06:09:17 AM »

Why is Brandon in their video for a product that is not diginow branded?
I recall Brandon showing off a UMC to J1772 like adapter on a YouTube video he might have been the first one who posted a video that was easily found. Whether it is the same product or not I would guess not based on what I have been told previously.

Also, the "Vortex Optics Defender Flip Cap - Objective Lens O-50 (55-59 mm)" ( ~$20usd @ amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ADUFVZU )
is a good fit for those UMC ports on the adapter according to EMF user DonTom. Credit for that idea to use a rifle scope cover for the charging port goes to Zak Vetter (and Brandon too? I've forgot the story how that came to be).

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 05:55:03 PM »

What is the charging speed with the Tesla adapter?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 11:02:09 PM »

What is the charging speed with the Tesla adapter?
It's just an adapter--it does not change anything from the charger, so the charging speed will be the same as the charger used and whatever the vehicle can draw.

I own two Tesla wall chargers and at these two houses I have a Tesla Tap Type DSS-EV-40P-V3 (40 amp Tesla to J-1772 adapter).

I also own a new Tesla Model 3 so I now also use 240 VAC to charge my Zero's with, using the above adapters.

At my third house, where I mainly only want to charge my Zero DS 6.5, I use one of these. Which also can be used to charge my Tesla.

At each house I also have two Zero quick chargers--all running from 240 VAC.

This way I do not have to run any extension cords to run the three Zero chargers. All of my  Chargers are on 60 amp 240 VAC circuits, but the MustStart charger is on a 50 amp outlet.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 01:47:55 AM »

Heres the skinny for you guys :

The good :

Me and a couple of guys reverse engineered and developed the first units. Later we started working with the Tesla Tap guys, who are good. We still work togrether as needed.

The Bad

Tesla tap and us do some things different. Their implementation is clean and SIMPLE but this limits them to pre gen2 stations (doesnt work with the latest stations), but it is a solid adapter and we share the same inlet and pin design. The only difference with our build is that we have a special switch which requires some manual intervention so it always works. But that means its a manual flip of the switch to turn it on.

The Ugly

There was another player Quick Charge Power in this who wanted in from San Diego... They ripped tesla tap off for $200k and have tried to steal all the work we have put into this for their own crappy design. Made me real sad to hear, because this guy hads been a real asshole to me already, and then he turned into a real asshole for the Tesla Tap guy and actually stole his money. I wish I had given a firmer warning to them about him.

-EC

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 01:50:22 AM »

Also, to clarify for anyone not familiar with the intracies of charging :

This lets you plug into AC Tesla stations and therfore will not expidiate your charging, unless you have a charger capable of taking advantage of it. It will just let you use extra stations.

ashnazg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 12:51:45 AM »

There was another player Quick Charge Power in this who wanted in from San Diego... They ripped tesla tap off for $200k and have tried to steal all the work we have put into this for their own crappy design. Made me real sad to hear, because this guy hads been a real asshole to me already, and then he turned into a real asshole for the Tesla Tap guy and actually stole his money. I wish I had given a firmer warning to them about him.

Dang, wish I'd known about this way back when  >:(
2015 Zero SR
2015 Zero FX (previous bike)
2011 Zero XU (previous bike)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 01:56:22 AM »

Dang. I keep hearing sketchy things about QCP. Thanks for clarifying what’s going on with Tesla destination adapters. It’s a murky grey area in this only slightly fancy marketplace around productizing 220V AC.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

cheesymac47

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 03:08:48 AM »

-EC

Well this makes me feel better about not buying his version of the Duosida and just making my own adapter cable.

c47

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »

Goodjob @ cheezymac, also NICE NAME!!

ANyone who needs help making cables or adapters can reach out to us, if we dont have the cable in stock, or the time to make the cable you need, we will tell you how to DIY it.

Usuially the ones we make are the ones that are at least mildly dangerious for DIY if you don't know what is going on. So we wouldn't tell you to build something at home which could be dangerious.

Best,

Brandon

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »

They're saying they work with Gen2 Tesla Destination Chargers now. Needs to be plugged in to the EVSE for 1-2 minutes before plugged into the vehicle however. I've had mixed results.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6D2PW4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 03:21:35 AM »

Unfortunately, I am the one that designed and reported the hacks to tesla. What they are describing is not true :(

You need a switch for the gen2 and gen3 especially.
Pages: [1] 2