• April 26, 2024, 08:12:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Solved: Power Loss on throttle and "motor stop switch" ignored  (Read 676 times)

winfried

• View Profile
    • Atelier Algorythmics
Solved: Power Loss on throttle and "motor stop switch" ignored
« on: September 24, 2017, 01:09:35 AM »

Hello,

I Just wanted to do a short ride with my  Zero XU 2013: When I turned the throttle grip, only a very small torque was applied,  so small it doesn't move the bike. After a while key on/off, turning the grip, the torque increased over time, so the bike moved slowly; switching to from ECO to sport also gave a little more torque. After more time (10 minutes) of switching on off and so on, I recognized the "motor off switch" does not work, so I can drive the bike with motor off switch "off" !

With reduced power, I did a round trip nearby on a small road and after a while I got a usable torque,  motor stop switch still in off position. Switching off the bike for a while and trying again, it start with the same behavior as described above, with much to less torque, but recovered faster.

Anyone experienced this ?

Since I need the bike for commuting, I would be thankful for any thoughts, how to start debugging and repair it this weekend.

I downloaded the logs (attachment) but I cant find any line which explains this behavior.

- winfried

PS: Maybe connected to this problem - two day ago the motor suddenly stopped  on driving downhill with the red triangle (System Warning Indicator) blinking on the instrument panel. Stopping at a side lane, I inspected the side stand (which can cause this) but then I saw the motor switch off (but couldn't remind i switched it off before) and also had the feeling last month that the torque has decreased on start a little bit... but I am not absolutely sure about the later.

PPS:
I saw this topic with an similar problem, but I think this is different and there was also no solution posted: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7322
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:45:57 PM by winfried »
peugeot elecscoot 1999 ... Zero XU 2014

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Power Loss on throttle and "motor stop switch" ignored
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »

Different motor and such on my 2016 DSR but that is in the shop currently for some issues:
Uncontrollable acceleration (changes in applied power with steady unchanging throttle)
Accelerating with throttle disable switch engaged
Persistent ride-through faults at the motor controller
Weakened regenerative braking force

The preliminary diagnosis is a bad encoder / motor. Having a commissioning done on the suspect motor and controller reduced the trouble but there remained all of the problems at higher motor output (speed / hills).

winfried

• View Profile
    • Atelier Algorythmics
Re: Power Loss on throttle and "motor stop switch" ignored
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 12:56:11 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, this means I will bring the bike to my dealer, since I couldnt find the failure on cabling and throttle device.

mfg winfried

winfried

• View Profile
    • Atelier Algorythmics
Re: Power Loss on throttle and "motor stop switch" ignored - solved
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »

Resolved, I just got it back from my dealer.

The exchange of of the throttle bar and motor switch did the trick in combination with new software flash, even I tought, the XU has no newer firmware, but sometimes reflashing helps.

A second problem was that one of the batteries didn't close the contactor or the time, so I had to switch on the bike with the key sometimes twice or more before it started to work, but this is another story. Software has been replaced

My conclusion :
The main failure was the throttle, so it the it only worked for a small resistance range and with the time the software adapted this, so the range was increasing. The second failure was the Motor of switch, i have to investigate the the old one further.

With the new throttle grip it feels a lot stronger, which means I didn't realize the increasing failure of the throttle over the last years, mostly thinking that I just got adapted to higher acceleration and did not sense it as when I got this bike, but it seems it just lost power over time .... ;-(.

Thanks for answer !

mfg winfried

Pages: [1]