• April 26, 2024, 05:09:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero S 2014 progressive loss of power - anyone seen this problem?  (Read 561 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
Zero S 2014 progressive loss of power - anyone seen this problem?
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »

A friend of mine in Australia has a 2014 Zero S 8.5 with a problem that started a couple of months ago.

"The power output at the rear wheel slowly decreased over the period of a few rides until now it has insufficient power even to start as fast as a bicycle. When I open the throttle fully, I can easily stop it moving at all just by hand, and only about 1 bar of power appears on the dash."

The issue seems to be unrelated to the battery as the bike was able to be readily charged after the bike was ridden and the state of charge had no effect on the problem.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour or suggest a potential cause. The bike  has been at the local dealer in Sydney for over a month but the owner has been told they are not getting support from Zero to resolve the issue. Other Zero owners are also being told by that dealer that Zero are not providing support for the recent battery related firmware upgrades.

I have a spare throttle that we'll try to use to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
Re: Zero S 2014 progressive loss of power - anyone seen this problem?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

I may have a similar issue. 2014 S 11.4 Initially, power loss occured at 10% and then after a few months, gradually power loss started to occur at 13%, 15% and 20%. I'm about to start diagnosing it with the Zero techs. They are actually very helpful but may be overworked as I'm sure the company is growing. This all has occured before the recent firmware update though. The only thing I lost with the firmware update was the ability to change custom ride settings as experienced by many with a 2014 S and the recent firmware. Hope your friend gets it sorted quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »

Maybe have the motor and the controller recalibrated?  (Not sure that's the right word.)
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:08:05 AM »

Sounds like a battery issue ...

Time to download the log files and post them here on the forum. There are a couple of helpful guys here who will have a friendly look at them to try and understand what's going on.
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Pages: [1]