• April 26, 2024, 08:25:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lightning goes for 400 miles/charge & teases new models  (Read 919 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Lightning goes for 400 miles/charge & teases new models
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »

Hey all, here is an article based on an interview with their CEO recently.  Enjoy!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110448_san-francisco-to-la-on-one-charge-lightning-motorcycles-to-give-it-a-go
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Lightning goes for 400 miles/charge & teases new models
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:16:29 PM »

The high-capacity battery necessary to fit into a motorcycle frame with enough energy to power it for 400 miles will come from a company Hatfield connected with via the Battery Innovation Center of Indiana.

It will be a prototype pack, and won’t be sold, but Hatfield hopes this proof of concept will help propel the technology from lab bench to salable product faster.

My takeaway from the article :D

So they are going to make a bike, which looks like a "normal" bike, shove an experimental battery into it just to beet a record ... then not sell the bike ... :/
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:33:39 AM »

The high-capacity battery necessary to fit into a motorcycle frame with enough energy to power it for 400 miles will come from a company Hatfield connected with via the Battery Innovation Center of Indiana.

It will be a prototype pack, and won’t be sold, but Hatfield hopes this proof of concept will help propel the technology from lab bench to salable product faster.

My takeaway from the article :D

So they are going to make a bike, which looks like a "normal" bike, shove an experimental battery into it just to beet a record ... then not sell the bike ... :/

Kind of reminds me of a company called Lightning.  ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 06:08:50 AM »

I think there's some value in doing the exercise. The nay-sayers are always harping on the lack of range of EVs, so I think it's worth showing that even with today's battery technology, it IS possible.

It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with, and if he's going to have to ride all that way on the 5 freeway at 50 mph to make it. I wouldn't do that on a bet.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 06:35:13 AM »

I think there's some value in doing the exercise. The nay-sayers are always harping on the lack of range of EVs, so I think it's worth showing that even with today's battery technology, it IS possible.

It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with, and if he's going to have to ride all that way on the 5 freeway at 50 mph to make it. I wouldn't do that on a bet.

You could do that as a hood ornament on a big rig truck.  :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 06:44:08 AM »

With zeros 2013 stats as a base that is ~51kW of energy needed to go 400 miles at 52.5mph ... (I have a spreadsheet I made for my bike to find out best range / battery / charging for long range trips.)

Obviously this number goes down when you get better streamlining ... I don't know the base metrics for lightnings other bike or I could run the mafs for it as well :D

Oh ... and these are "advertised" specs ... which we have already found out come from testing without wind resistance :/

It will be interesting to see just how big (kW's) they have to go and what voltage they settle for.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »

He said they will go highway speeds so I expect they will go with the flow of traffic.  I don't think they are interested in hypermiling.  It is important to them that they are seen  as being better than gas bikes.  No compromises like having to ride at a slower speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »

The most notable part of the story for me was this > Additionally, Lightning intends to expand its lineup. Its current single LS-218 superbike starts at $38,888; the company says it will be joined by at least one smaller electric motorcycle that will cost less than $20,000.

IF Lightning offers a sub 20k bike with DCFC, then I will be the proud owner of a Lightning.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »

Just when you think he's gone, he pops back up for more attention.
They kind of rag on Terry and his "cobbled" Vetter bike but that's his nature.  I only know of one Lightning that was ever "sold", they dropped it off to some CEO at a company pep rally and I doubt it has 500 miles on it.
It's what, five years old now, I don't know if you can call Lightning a motorcycle company as much as a fun lab for records.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »

The most notable part of the story for me was this > Additionally, Lightning intends to expand its lineup. Its current single LS-218 superbike starts at $38,888; the company says it will be joined by at least one smaller electric motorcycle that will cost less than $20,000.

IF Lightning offers a sub 20k bike with DCFC, then I will be the proud owner of a Lightning.

Lightning already has shown a sub-20K bike.  I saw it at the 2014 Cupertino EV show.  Nothing new there, other than I don't think they ever sold more than one.  ::)

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 11:22:49 PM »

I wonder if their strategy is IP (intellectual property) and they are just waiting to be bought out by some big name bike maker?

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »

Already been done, and needs no proving.
The team of Dutch university students mentioned here already did it (Eindhoven University of Technology  STORM Pulse project). I read elsewhere that they did indeed get ~230mi typical range at highway cruising speed (not the 100mph max).
IMO doing a long-distance 14K mi trip is much more impressive than a single 400mi run .

Also, very few ICE bikes have a 300mi range, let alone 400mi -- pretty much only a few adventure-type bikes can top 250, and that's really more aimed when leaving paved roads to where there may not be any gas stations.
Sport-tourers and even full tourers nowadays  seem to sell quite nicely with a 200mi range.
IOW, a 400mi e-bike isn't interesting.

More significantly, why aren't Lightning building & selling bikes instead of doing one-off concepts?
I suspect they either don't have the cash, or are  incapable of mass production for other reasons (as it is, the LS-218 is falsely named "world's production motorcycle", because the 218mph run was done using a slipstream fairing and non-standard gearing, and I haven't been able to find indications they sold any after the single sale mentioned 2.5 years ago).

Doing silly concepts is a pointless waste of effort... Or, worse, just PR spin.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:19:40 PM by wavelet »
Pages: [1]