• April 25, 2024, 09:32:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: STORM Pulse tour visits US West Coast  (Read 2240 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
STORM Pulse tour visits US West Coast
« on: October 11, 2016, 02:16:50 AM »

I got to meet the STORM Eindhoven team on their 80-day world tour, on day 56 as they showed their work in San Francisco's Embarcadero EV Week show, for Fleet Week.

I got some design information which was pretty interesting:

The bike's weight varies from 550-750lbs depending on the hex cel load.
Each hex package has 18650 cells with an individual BMS.
The motorcycle itself has a coordinator BMS which manages the interactions between the various power packs hooked in.
They spent two years designing and testing the bike, and are traveling with a spare motorcycle for parts and backup.
The frame is entirely custom designed around the battery module concept.
The powertrain itself runs at a much higher voltage (300-400V?) than the battery which has about the same pack voltage as the Zero.
The controller/inverter is German and they had early bugs to shake out with them at the start of the trip.
The hex packs run 3 in a series and are labeled for their position in the pack so that imbalances don't get combined badly. Up to 4 series can be loaded in parallel.
They indicated roughly 30kWh max capacity with all hex cell slots loaded. Range with that should be 250 miles.
The motor and controller have a modest liquid cooling system fed through two 4.5" fans behind the front wheel.
The hex cell arrangement has about 3-4mm of gap around each and some air flows through the gaps at speed for a little battery cooling.

One aerodynamicist modeled and designed the fairings, but they admitted that the lack of a tail was a deficiency.
They're all university students but the team is separate from the university for funding reasons.
Hex cells are charged overnight from local power only in a custom box frame.
Getting the battery transported from Asia to the US was difficult requiring certification and ultimately a specialized shipper.
Finally, photos!

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
around the world in 80 days! Re: STORM Pulse tour visits US West Coast
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 07:00:50 AM »

That was very cool.  Thanks for letting us know they were doing this, and posting the great photos!

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
Re: STORM Pulse tour visits US West Coast
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »

Did they mention anything about the smeshgear? I am curious about it's real life performance and usefulness.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:03:27 AM »

Looks like the trip is finished.  Congratulations to the students for such an amazing accomplishment!

http://newatlas.com/self-built-electric-motorbikes-storm/46247/
2014 Zero S

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 11:52:45 PM »

Looks like the trip is finished.  Congratulations to the students for such an amazing accomplishment!

http://newatlas.com/self-built-electric-motorbikes-storm/46247/

Man that 236 miles at 99mph sure would be nice to get out of a Zero....  :(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:57:26 PM by ZeroPointZero »

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 01:19:09 AM »

I believe that are just the numbers for the top speed and the range at granny speeds, not the range at top speed.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 01:24:33 AM »

I believe that are just the numbers for the top speed and the range at granny speeds, not the range at top speed.

Yes, that's right. It's not that efficient at top speed at all. And the range achieved is at a cost to weight. That weight range of 550-750lbs is all about the batteries. And it doesn't carry an ounce of cargo.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 01:41:09 AM »

Well my current range at granny speed on the '16 SR is 65 miles, so this bikes range would be a vast improvement.  Zero should maybe consult with these guys...

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
STORM Pulse tour visits US West Coast
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »

Well my current range at granny speed on the '16 SR is 65 miles, so this bikes range would be a vast improvement.  Zero should maybe consult with these guys...

What the hell is granny speed for you? Terry got a 200 mile run out of his 2015 SR (with Power Tank) at ~25mph. I get 100 miles on my DSR at 65mph.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:31:49 AM by BrianTRice »

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »

Was meant to type 165 miles in granny speed not 65, surely... no?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 12:28:02 AM »

See the figure of 30kWh max capacity (weighing 750lbs). The fairing may have aerodynamic limitations, but it is streamlined despite lacking a tail and I totally believe a 236 mile figure given that, and that's at least twice the battery capacity on a modern Zero without Power Tank.

Zero's range figures are very accurate for the riding conditions they describe.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »

What the hell is granny speed for you? Terry got a 200 mile run out of his 2015 SR (with Power Tank) at ~25mph. I get 100 miles on my DSR at 65mph.

Do you have a power tank Brian?  For me, granny speed is eco mode on an SR, and maybe because Im spoiled by sport mode  ;)  So sadly the SR can only carry my 245lb ass for 65 miles highway at 70mph before Im down to single digits on the battery.  Im told payload doesnt matter so much as motor RPMs, but the extra weight has to create extra load thereby impacting range.  Im probably not very aerodynamic so that hurts my range as well.  I posted a pic of my National Cycle Street Shield EX in the windscreen topic...   (Adding Politically correct disclaimer) I do not mean to disparage Zero at all, I love my SR!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:53:42 AM by ZeroPointZero »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »

Do you have a power tank Brian?  For me, granny speed is eco mode on an SR, and maybe because Im spoiled by sport mode  ;)  So sadly the SR can only carry my 245lb ass for 65 miles highway at 70mph before Im down to single digits on the battery.  Im told payload doesnt matter so much as motor RPMs, but the extra weight has to create extra load thereby impacting range.  Im probably not very aerodynamic so that hurts my range as well.  I posted a pic of my National Cycle Street Shield EX in the windscreen topic...   (Adding Politically correct disclaimer) I do not mean to disparage Zero at all, I love my SR!!!  ;D

No power tank, just a supercharger and a parabellum windscreen. Eco mode doesn't help efficiency as much as turning off regen without braking.(Regen that you don't need is a wasted energy conversion)

I see that you bought a windscreen but went for a cheap one. The expensive screens have better airflow generally. At least adjust your windscreen for smoother airflow, particularly so air comes up underneath it, and tuck behind it.

RPMs are not directly relevant. It's drag that mostly matters, especially sensitive to bad airflow and headwinds. I spent two months tuning my parabellum mount including fabricating adjustable struts (There's a forum thread just about that). Mass only draws power while accelerating or ascending, but it can affect the tire contact patch. Raise tire pressure to about 42psi for a little more efficiency.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 06:19:25 AM »

@ZeroPointZero so not to completely disrupt this thread please see (and feel free responding to) my post in the Range Experimentation thread. I did a grocery run 90mi+ and have 19% SoC remaining.

ZeroPointZero

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 12:46:54 AM »

No power tank, just a supercharger and a parabellum windscreen. Eco mode doesn't help efficiency as much as turning off regen without braking.(Regen that you don't need is a wasted energy conversion)

I see that you bought a windscreen but went for a cheap one. The expensive screens have better airflow generally. At least adjust your windscreen for smoother airflow, particularly so air comes up underneath it, and tuck behind it.

RPMs are not directly relevant. It's drag that mostly matters, especially sensitive to bad airflow and headwinds. I spent two months tuning my parabellum mount including fabricating adjustable struts (There's a forum thread just about that). Mass only draws power while accelerating or ascending, but it can affect the tire contact patch. Raise tire pressure to about 42psi for a little more efficiency.

All good tips thanks!  Ive got a different shield on order, its a national cycle plexifairing 2 , which Im going to trim a bit, but it should provide better aerodynamics.
Pages: [1] 2