• April 27, 2024, 06:18:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Introduction & Windscreen Advice for FXS  (Read 5158 times)

BamBam

• View Profile
Re: Introduction & Windscreen Advice for FXS
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »

Okay, I certainly will do a follow up.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »

I received the MRA V-Flow C version windscreen from Twisted Throttle yesterday and will try to get it on this weekend, but no promises.  I heard back from MRA and the special mounting clamp that attaches to the handlebar riser cap to secure the angled mounting rod is available for purchase separately from them.  They are going to follow up and send me details of how to order the clamps.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:59:50 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 03:44:03 AM »

Perfect. I will follow the progress of the mounting with attention!
Zero S 2023, Zero FXS 2016

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 04:15:33 AM »

Well I don't have the windscreen fully installed yet, but I did have a chance to compare the MRA V Flow C type to the Z type before returning the Z to Twisted Throttle.  The C type is definitely the one to go with.  It provides the best fit for the FX/S model.  The cutout at the bottom allows the windscreen to be located just above the instrument cluster giving it more height than the Z type.  The C type also lets you get the windscreen closer to the handlebars.

I also examined the hardware that comes wit the MRA HKSL mounting kit and it looks like the small clamp that comes with the kit could be adapted to use on the handlebar riser like shown in the photo in post #9.  This could be used in lieu of the handlebar clamp.  I've included a photo of the clamp.  I think all that would be needed to adapt it is a small spacer to fit between the riser cap and the clamp, but you would also need to bend the mounting rod, so I'm going to use the handlebar clamp for now.
Currently Owned Bikes:

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 08:16:17 AM »

Thanks !
Is this clamp in your picture made from plastic or metal?
I expected that some metallic clamps of this kind could be used:
https://www.mrashop.de/com/mounting-kits/bmw-g-650-x-challenge/6323/hks-d-special-mounting-set
https://www.mrashop.de/com/mounting-kits/honda-cb-600-f-hornet-11-/6329/hks-g-special-mounting-set

After MRA told me that they were unable to help me for the choice of a mounting set, and told me that they had never got any FXS to experiment, I proposed them to buy several mounting sets from their parts (I don't need the commercial packages, only the parts), to experiment myself, to take pictures of the most appropriate mounting and send them, then return them the unused parts, and finally get refunded for these returned parts. I sent this proposition to MRA on October 19th, but I got no answer.

Another possibility could be that some owner of a FXS or a FX could bring his bike to the MRA factory (they are in Teningen, Deutschland, here: https://goo.gl/6chyz4 ), and they could check which is the proper mount...

But at the moment, I expect that you will get a fine solution and show it to us  ;)

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 11:55:11 PM »

Okay, I was able to get the MRA V-Flow C with Sport X-Creen installed over the weekend.  The installation was fairly straightforward.  The X-Creen was a little challenging at first because there are a lot of parts, but I finally figured it out.  The installation instructions are actually pretty good.  It's from Germany so what else would you expect.

I used the MRA HKSL mounting kit and mounted the handlebar clamp just below the mount for my Tusk hand guards.  Ideally, I would have liked to have mounted the clamp higher up on the handlebars, but I didn't have enough room on the right side because of interference with the front master cylinder.  I ordered the mounting kit with the longer straight rods to be on the safe side since I didn't know what length I would need.  The rods measure about 9.5".  I ended up cutting 2.5" off the end of the rod for my final installation. 

I only have two grips which have more to do with the engineering details than anything else.  First, the mating surface where the handlebar clamp and mounting rod clamp bolt together should have ratcheting notches so the they lock together when the bolt is tightened.  As it is now, you have to get the bolt pretty tight in order to keep the connection from slipping and rotating.  Second, I don't know why the attachment of the X-Creen to the windscreen has to be so complicated.  There are two holes in the windscreen on each side for mounting the X-Creen brackets.  It seems logical that all four mounting points would use the same hardware, but they don't.  Two of the holes use an overly complicated press-in bushing and tiny torx sheet metal type screw as opposed to a standard socket head bolt like is used for the other two holes.  Really, how many people have that small of a torx bit on hand.  I ended up using different screws that I had on hand.

Alright and now for the verdict on the windscreen setup.  I had a chance to test it out on my commute to work this morning.  The bottom line is I like it a lot.  It was about 40 degrees F this morning and I was able to ride with my helmet visor cracked.  I am about 5'-11" tall and with the X-Creen adjusted properly, I was able to get the air to deflect over the top of my helmet and still be able to easily see out over the windscreen.  The supplemental X-Creen spoiler is a must for taller riders as the main windscreen alone would not be tall enough.  The sport version of MRA's X-Creen is really nice because the articulating dog bone connector allows the spoiler to be adjusted for both height and angle.  I think this windscreen setup is a really good option for the FX/S model.  Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase.

And now for some photos.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:07:22 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 02:40:38 AM »

Thanks BamBam ! It will be very helpful.
I planned to install my windscreen a little bit lower than you have done (I am 1m70 tall, i.e. 4" less than you).
I have a question: how are the two rods fixed to the windscreen? It seems that there is a spherical plain bearing there. Can the angle of the rod with respect to the windscreen be chosen freely?
And if you can add a picture showing us the mounting at the right hand side of the handlebar it would be interesting. I realize that I have not the same brake fluid tank as you, and probably not the same hose pathway.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 02:59:33 AM »

The rod end at the windscreen is a ball and socket type joint so the rod is able to swivel in all directions.  There are screws that allow you to tighten the clamping force on the ball to prevent it from rotating freely once you have it in the final position.  I'll include a photo of the right side mount sometime later this evening.
Currently Owned Bikes:

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

I left my phone at work so I'll have to take additional photos tomorrow, but the right side mounts right below the handguard clamp just like the left side. The reason I can't mount it higher is because the master cylinder is in the way. The MC is a Nissin 11mm from Webike Japan. Here is a link in case anyone wants more info. BTW, the handlebars I'm using are the Protaper Adventure High Bars.

https://japan.webike.net/products/450472.html

Currently Owned Bikes:

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 05:29:23 AM »

Well I just completed my second day of commuting with the new windscreen and an annoying issue has developed where the windscreen wants to rotate toward me at the top due to the wind pressure.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, the joint at the handlebar mount needs to have serrations or teeth that mesh together when the connecting bolt is tightened to prevent the joint from rotating.  I don't dare tightened the bolt any further since the mount is made of plastic and I don't want to risk breaking it.

A friend of mine suggested inserting a serrated or star washer between the mating surfaces.   In theory this should work so I'm going to give it a try.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  MRA are you listening.

Other than that problem, which I think is easily fixable, I'm really liking the new windscreen.  It has made commuting so much more enjoyable.

And here are a couple pics of the right side handlebar mount that gt13013 wanted to see.

Currently Owned Bikes:

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:30 AM »

Thanks for the pictures. It really helps me to take a decision.
I will try to find a solution to fix the windscreen on the 2 front bolts of the central handlebar riser. By this way, I expect to get an all metallic mounting, and avoid slippage.
Clearly, plastic parts are not a very good solution in order to fasten the windscreen securely...

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 01:57:45 AM »

This page shows interesting mountings:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3264.0
Using bent rods adds a lot of degrees of freedom.

I have to figure out, from the very sparse information in MRA website, which could be the most convenient kit...
https://www.mrashop.de/com/mounting-kits/
If they gave pictures and dimensions, it would help...

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 03:07:57 AM »

Yes, there's some good information in the other thread that you provided a link for.  Here are my observations with trying to use the handlebar riser clamps to support the MRA V-Flow C Type windscreen on the FX/S.  First, you will need to use a bent arm since the location of the mounting bracket on the windscreen does not line up horizontally with the top of the riser cap.  For that reason I don't think a simple straight arm will work.

Second, you could buy the MRA HKSL mounting kit (the one with the longer straight arms) and try to bend the arms.  The problem is the arms are 9mm (almost 3/8") in diameter and are solid stainless steel which seem to me would be difficult to cold bend.  You also need to make sure the two support arms are bent exactly the same or else the windscreen will be off center since there is no back and forth adjustment.  I suppose you could also heat the arms up until they were red hot and bend them that way, but that may melt the plastic ball attached to the end.

Third, judging by the length of the arm that would be needed to work with the windscreen the way I have mine positioned, I don't think one of the special mounting kits with the bent arms that MRA sells will work.  I don't think the portion of the arm with the ball attached to it would be long enough.  I was planning to take a coat hanger and mock up the arm profile that would be needed for my setup.  I'll get back with the dimensions so that can be compared to what MRA offers.  I too wish MRA would provide the dimensions for the mounting arms on their website, but I'm sure they would provide that information if you contact them.  Their CS has been pretty good with addressing my questions.

PS - the way the guy has the support arms mounted in the other thread that was linked is not really the proper way to position the arms.  The proper way is what's shown in the photo in post #9.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:56:41 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »

I was able to use a piece of coat hanger and mock-up what the arm profile would want to be in order to mount the V-Flow C screen using the handlebar riser mounts and have attached a photo of it in actual size.  Since the total length is 9" you could buy MRA's HKSL mounting kit with the long arms and bend them to shape.  However, the arm is pretty beefy so I think it would be really hard to bend.  One of MRA's special mounting kits with the angled arms might also work, but the problem is there isn't any dimension information on MRA's website.

As a follow up to the issue with my windscreen wanting to rotate from the wind pressure using the HKSL mounting kit, I put a toothed lock washer in between the joint that is slipping and tightened it up really good so we'll see how that works on my next commute.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:28:05 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:

gt13013

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 02:07:13 AM »

Thanks BamBam for this detailed information.
Perhaps the MRA HKS-I mounting kit could work.

Could you please give me the length of the plastic part (red arrow on the picture), and I will try to estimate the dimension of the HKS-I from this information.

Pages: 1 [2] 3