• April 24, 2024, 10:08:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trouble fitting my windscreen and my modifications  (Read 2062 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Trouble fitting my windscreen and my modifications
« on: October 28, 2013, 05:01:42 AM »

I have the Dual Sport screen from ZERO.
The only place I see it fitted on a bike is on the police version of the DS:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/fleet/police/?album=police-videos
Have a look to the "studio" pictures
But I can't put my screen as far frontward as on the police one and my links between handlebar and windscreen can't be oriented as the police ones
Futhermore my brake cable is too short to go OTHER the links even with unscrewing the brake hose holder on the fork to get maximum lengh. I have to go BELOW the link and the brake hose is rubbing on the link when the fork compresses
What's your experience with the windscreen ? Do you have the same trouble as me ?
Have a good week
Laurent
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:29:59 PM by Le Z Turbo »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Trouble fitting my windscreen
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:35:49 AM »

That's strange. You have a DS like I do, and when I got the commuter screen, it came with straight mounting bars instead of the mounting bars with an elbow. I think they worked fine and could possibly provide the reach you see online.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 12:29:56 PM »

And do you have the front brake hose above or below the left mounting bar ?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:27:04 AM »

And do you have the front brake hose above or below the left mounting bar ?

Oh, that's a good question. I put it under the left mounting bar, but the instructions (yes, those were provided, although they were spare) said to run it over the bar. I think it sat more naturally under it, but maybe putting it over the bar makes it sit more firmly. My access to the ignition key would be kind of cramped, either way.

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:03:26 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am in Alkmaar right now preparing for EICMA or I would have seen this sooner. 

First, note that we have two different screens with different mounting mechanisms: the Commuter Screen with straight mounting arms and the Dual Sport Screen with the bent mounting arms. 

In both cases on the Zero DS, the instructions suggest routing the brake line under and over.  You'll see this in the attached picture from the installation on my motorcycle.  This gives you sufficient extension and also secures it from rattling.  Although there is nothing scientific here.  In fact, I believe you can turn the handlebar riser clamps forward to have the screen extend further forward than shown in my picture.

Be sure to properly torque those screws on the handlebar riser clamps.  :)

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »

Two photos are worth at least a thousand words.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »

First, note that we have two different screens with different mounting mechanisms: the Commuter Screen with straight mounting arms and the Dual Sport Screen with the bent mounting arms. 

In both cases on the Zero DS, the instructions suggest routing the brake line under and over.  You'll see this in the attached picture from the installation on my motorcycle.  This gives you sufficient extension and also secures it from rattling.  Although there is nothing scientific here.  In fact, I believe you can turn the handlebar riser clamps forward to have the screen extend further forward than shown in my picture.

Be sure to properly torque those screws on the handlebar riser clamps.  :)
Thanks for the photo. I'll include one of my setup (not terribly close in) for comparison. My cable just goes completely over both bars. I did orient the bars and screen forward to ensure that I could completely tuck behind the screen. Also, I applied a generous amount of blue Loctite to all the bolt fittings.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 05:11:51 AM »

In both cases on the Zero DS, the instructions suggest routing the brake line under and over.  You'll see this in the attached picture from the installation on my motorcycle.

Hi Aaron and thanks for your pictures. It seems to me that your brake hose is really stretched by the left arm. I had the same setup but if you lift the front fork from the ground don't you almost rip off the brake hose letting the brake hose so in tension that it's him who limit the fork extension ?

Have a good Sunday you all
Laurent

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble fitting my windscreen and my modifications
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

I have "de-bent" the windscreen arms to put my winscreen a little further front:

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble fitting my windscreen and my modifications
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 03:43:04 PM »

I also added a MRA (same brand as the Zero original equipement) spoiler that you can adjust on the fly:

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »

I'll include one of my setup

I can see you on the mirror !!! Nicely done, I will try to hide myself in a future photo, could be like a contest !!!
Have a nice sunday
Laurent

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »

Hi Aaron and thanks for your pictures. It seems to me that your brake hose is really stretched by the left arm. I had the same setup but if you lift the front fork from the ground don't you almost rip off the brake hose letting the brake hose so in tension that it's him who limit the fork extension ?
[/quote]

It's close but I do get a full extension.  It's not easy to tell from the pictures, but I often put my bike up on a stand to bleed the front forks and haven't found a problem.

I love your ingenuity on adjusting the bars and adding the Varioscreen.  Let us know how that works for you.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star
Pages: [1]