• April 26, 2024, 09:58:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My DC - DC converter has died again, local dealer has gone bust (now fixed)  (Read 4748 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Re: My DC - DC converter has died again, local dealer has gone bust
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 07:41:32 AM »

I've been through a lot of water lately so I hope that's it. I plan a good tear down and connector drying session followed with a new coat of dielectric grease. I was getting lots of chassis leakage errors but those stopped, now this.
2016 Zero FX, 2014 KTM 1190

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 07:20:15 PM »

Unfortunately I was told that they get shorted internally and then they stay that way, I have added a switch to shut mine off until the replacement arrives, since the original won't shut down I plan on using it as an always on supply run from a switch
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

johnphillips390

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 06:12:21 AM »

Unfortunately there will be no dealers in Australia now, so I have no idea how we can get ongoing support

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2012 Volt
2013 E-Rider Lightning EV Scooter
2015 Zero SR

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 03:56:31 PM »

Had my last session with the support tech via skype, he seems happy that there is indeed a fault in the MBB but he raised a point that the BMS may have a date issue with logs once the MBB is replaced. You need the DBI (I think) plug and diagnostic tech to set it. Not sure how to get around that.
check out my second last post here http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7060.0

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 03:05:20 AM »

Had my last session with the support tech via skype, he seems happy that there is indeed a fault in the MBB but he raised a point that the BMS may have a date issue with logs once the MBB is replaced. You need the DBI (I think) plug and diagnostic tech to set it. Not sure how to get around that.
check out my second last post here http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7060.0
Might be able to access setting the date and time with a serial console to (new?) MBB, and the appropriate access codes, i.e. you could use a DigiNow Data Reaper Dongle as one possible way to get access to the bike settings.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »

I somehow lost track of this thread and caught up now.

If pin numbers to check could be supplied along with some photos, that'd be helpful for documentation about the enable line.

IIUC the MBB to DC-DC converter connections must be very short so a resistance or connector problem does sound likely.

An OBD connected console to the MBB is a good idea.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »

Unfortunately I was told that they get shorted internally and then they stay that way, I have added a switch to shut mine off until the replacement arrives, since the original won't shut down I plan on using it as an always on supply run from a switch

Can you show how you did this and what parts you used? How has it held up?

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 03:25:03 AM »

I've been in Europe for the last month and will try to update when I get home
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »

Has anyone (outside of Zero) ever taken one of these broken charges and diagnosed it?

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »

I somehow lost track of this thread and caught up now.

If pin numbers to check could be supplied along with some photos, that'd be helpful for documentation about the enable line.

Here is the email extract about the pins...

Hi Glenn,

Maybe I should have given you what I expect to see from each connection:

On the 34-terminal connector on the MBB itself:
-          Pin 20 and pin 7 ( expected value is 151k-ohm )
-          Pin 20 and pin 18 ( expected value is open-circuit or 10s of mega-ohms )

Between the harness-side MBB connecter and DC-DC converter connector:
-          Terminal 20 and DC-DC enable terminal ( expected value is less than 1 ohm )
o   Sounds like this connection is good given your results below.

Please let me know what resistances you measure for the top two measurements listed above.

All the best,

Brian Simmons
APAC Customer Experience Electrical Engineer
Zero Motorcycles

Also this email...

Hi Glenn,

It appears that the problem lies within the MBB or the connection between the MBB and the DC-DC converter. I have never seen the MBB’s internal circuitry that drives the DC-DC converter enable signal fail, but it’s not out of the question. Since it’s so rare, I’d say we should take a look at the harnessing first. Pin 20 on the 34-terminal MBB connector carries the signal that drives the DC-DC enable.

I’m including an image of the face of the harness-side of the 34-terminal MBB connector. You’ll have to mirror the image below to get the correct terminal arrangement on the MBB or you can look at the rear of the connector to see how the terminals are arranged. On the MBB itself, please measure the resistance between:
-          Pin 20 and pin 7
-          Pin 20 and pin 18

see attachment below

Also check the resistance between terminal 20 on the harness-side connector and the enable terminal at the harness-side of the DC-DC connector. To get a good connection to terminal 20, you’ll need to remove the orange face from the connector. The tabs on the sides of the face can be bent a bit to allow for the face to be removed. Once you have a good connection, try manipulating the harness to see if the resistance changes with any movements which might signify damage in the harness.

Please also check that all terminals you see during the above procedures appear clean, unbent, fully seated, and without signs of moisture.

All the best,

Brian Simmons
APAC Customer Experience Electrical Engineer
Zero Motorcycles
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:26:29 AM by grmarks »

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »

Brian is a great guy and his instructions he gave are very straight forward. This is a great resource for all of us to quickly test if we ever have the same issue.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »

I simplified what was communicated but I think I captured it reasonably well:
http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#DC.2FDC_12V_converter

I'm stymied by only having the 2013 routing trace, which disagrees about which pin the enable signal comes from, so I listed both results.

There should be a generic "this is how to check a connector" section but I've reached the end of my writing abilities for today.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »

The engineer said that every year has different pin configuration and a different plug by design so you can't plug the wrong MBB into your bike.

Good news though, my new MBB arrived today and everything works again. Yey. Only took about 3 months :(

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »

The engineer said that every year has different pin configuration and a different plug by design so you can't plug the wrong MBB into your bike.

Good news though, my new MBB arrived today and everything works again. Yey. Only took about 3 months :(

Well, at least you're back on the bike.

Every year has a different pin configuration by design? What the hell...

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »

The pin configuration changes as new features are added (that part is not necessarily by design) but the different plug is by design so its not possible to plug a incompatible MBB into your bike.
It beats me why they need to change the existing pins around when there are plenty of spares in the plugs.
If they kept the pins in the same place and added new features to spare pins (and the software was engineered for it) then all you would need to do is reflash a MBB from latest year to the specific year model. Then you would not need to keep spare stock for older bikes. It could also be possible to upgrade your older bike with new features latest features.
Harley Davidson often brings out retrospective kits to upgrade older bikes to new features. This way your bike doesn't age (technologicaly) so quick.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4