• April 26, 2024, 05:16:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It's all over for Australia  (Read 2032 times)

johnphillips390

• View Profile
It's all over for Australia
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:33:30 AM »

So received the following overnight. I took a leap of faith purchasing my Zero, but this makes it near impossible to maintain my Zero, certainly for any future firmware updates etc

This message is to inform you that Zero Motorcycles is ending consumer sales in Australia and other Asia Pacific markets

Zero and its distributor partners in the region have invested significant resources into developing these markets over the past several years, but have been unable to build an economically sustainable retail business.  Unfortunately, the costs of providing an exceptional customer experience coupled with unfavorable exchange rates and taxes in these markets makes it difficult to offer competitive pricing today.

Please know that continuing to support our existing customers is extremely important to us. Therefore, Zero will continue to provide support to Australian owners through GBT Imports, Zero’s exclusive distributor, to ensure a matchless ownership experience is maintained.

This decision came after much deliberation, and was the best choice for the business at this time. Zero will continually monitor the region for changes in economic and consumer trends that could create more positive market conditions for electric motorcycles in the future.

All questions and comments should be directed to support@zeromotorcycles.com.

Thanks you very much for choosing Zero.

Best Regards,

Mac McMath
VP of Global Sales

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2012 Volt
2013 E-Rider Lightning EV Scooter
2015 Zero SR

E-Luke

• View Profile
Re: It's all over for Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:50:49 AM »

Wow, that sucks for Oz... I'm an Aussie living in LA on a 2016 DSR. Love the experience of riding it in the California climate, and paying virtually nothing for my transport.

I understand the decision based on market factors, and for the ultra premiums that have to be paid (shipping,tax, exchange rate) I am not sure I'd be riding a zero back in oz right now.

Here's hoping the wind changes on importing th de great machines.

Safe riding and keep an eye on the used market herein the meantime;) Always something going online!

42Cliffside

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:19:31 AM »

Please know that continuing to support our existing customers is extremely important to us. Therefore, Zero will continue to provide support to Australian owners through GBT Imports, Zero’s exclusive distributor, to ensure a matchless ownership experience is maintained.

johnphillips390

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »

Tough ask as they are an importer/ distributor, not a dealer who should have the required knowledge and tools to perform updates, diagnose electronic and software issues
Mechanical issues don't bother me, but the electronics are a different matter

2012 Volt
2015 Zero SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »

Tough ask as they are an importer/ distributor, not a dealer who should have the required knowledge and tools ...
Let me stop you right there, it has been my experience that Zero authorized dealerships have had none of those things (knowledge and tools) unless I am physically present to insist that the work is getting done.

No love remaining for moto dealerships. An importer/distributor that can operate basic computer software has a better chance of doing a correct install or diagnostic on a Zero Motorcycles vehicle. Best wishes for those fellow Zero riders in Australia. Let us know how it works out...

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »

Ug just saw that email today. With my bike not going and the Victoria dealer gone bust customer support from the US has been helping me. Got no joy from the importer (wouldn't even talk to me) had the NSW dealer put my case to him/them with no joy. The NSW dealer suggested contacting customer support in the US  who have been helping me.
I mentioned to the tech that WiFi would be a great addition to the bike as then he could connect to my bike via my home router etc and he thought it could be done through the DBI port connecting to a WiFi card (I'm thinking arduino here).
Any electrical engineers out there think they could come up with a wiring diagram and arduino setup?

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:49:55 PM »

Not just over for Australia but the asia pacific regin too.

johnphillips390

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »

Ug just saw that email today. With my bike not going and the Victoria dealer gone bust customer support from the US has been helping me. Got no joy from the importer (wouldn't even talk to me) had the NSW dealer put my case to him/them with no joy. The NSW dealer suggested contacting customer support in the US  who have been helping me.
I mentioned to the tech that WiFi would be a great addition to the bike as then he could connect to my bike via my home router etc and he thought it could be done through the DBI port connecting to a WiFi card (I'm thinking arduino here).
Any electrical engineers out there think they could come up with a wiring diagram and arduino setup?
That would be fantastic if it can be done

2012 Volt
2015 Zero SR

johnphillips390

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »

Not just over for Australia but the asia pacific regin too.
You're right, bad news for us all

2012 Volt
2015 Zero SR

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »

Agree with everyone that this is very disappointing news although this has been known to some of us for many months, just not official.

We're a tiny market here in Australia but very enthusiastic and have punched above our weight with contributions to these forums, group rides, fast charging, bike mods etc.

There may be some good news after the bad as the proposed changes in Australian motor vehicle import laws in 2018 could allow us to bring in new or near new Zeros at a lower price. In Australia:
- From 2018 you can personally import a new car or motorcycle from another country once every 2 years.
- The other country’s vehicle standards must be comparable to Australia, the vehicle can’t be more than 12 months old and must have no more than 500km on the odometer.

Maybe a 17kWh 2018 SR might be a possibility after all.

P.S. For fellow Australian Zero owners, I have the connectors to access the Main Bike Board and Sevcon controller and happy to share those if you need help to fix, maintain or upgrade your bikes. Also have a few spare parts from my stripped down SR if you need them (tank, fairings etc). Whether its a speedo adjustment or firmware updates I'm happy to assist Oz Zero owners and Zero remote support in keeping our bikes on the road.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

johnphillips390

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 07:23:59 PM »

Agree with everyone that this is very disappointing news although this has been known to some of us for many months, just not official.

We're a tiny market here in Australia but very enthusiastic and have punched above our weight with contributions to these forums, group rides, fast charging, bike mods etc.

There may be some good news after the bad as the proposed changes in Australian motor vehicle import laws in 2018 could allow us to bring in new or near new Zeros at a lower price. In Australia:
- From 2018 you can personally import a new car or motorcycle from another country once every 2 years.
- The other country’s vehicle standards must be comparable to Australia, the vehicle can’t be more than 12 months old and must have no more than 500km on the odometer.

P.S. For fellow Australian Zero owners, I have the connectors to access the Main Bike Board and Sevcon controller and happy to share those if you need help to fix, maintain or upgrade your bikes. Also have a few spare parts from my stripped down SR if you need them (tank, fairings etc). Whether its a speedo adjustment or firmware updates I'm happy to assist Oz Zero owners and Zero remote support in keeping our bikes on the road.
EVtricity, that is a fantastic offer of assistance that I would love to take you up on when the time arises. Ive no intention of giving up my Zero and will attempt to keep it running as long as possible
This is a great group as you say and maybe we get even tighter and take matters into our own hands as much as we can, I'm up for it anyway cheers
John

2012 Volt
2015 Zero SR

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »

Do you think there's any chance that someone could persuade Zero that the diagnostic equipment currently in the hands of an Australian dealer would be best passed on to a Zero owner who can provide some unofficial support? Probably not, but worth a try.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »

It's good that you can take on this role.

Let's make sure the unofficial wiki manual is up to the task of keeping owners informed and able to deal with small issues (or at least troubleshoot safely) on their own, too. AU/NZ are large areas to cover even with some dealers present. Anyway, feel free to make comments or direct questions to the areas to improve, or possibly contribute directly.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 09:41:25 PM »

Do you think there's any chance that someone could persuade Zero that the diagnostic equipment currently in the hands of an Australian dealer would be best passed on to a Zero owner who can provide some unofficial support? Probably not, but worth a try.

If you know your dealer, try asking them for spare or throwaway hardware at least. The main issue, though, will be licensed access to the software and online support.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 04:14:43 AM »

If you know your dealer, try asking them for spare or throwaway hardware at least. The main issue, though, will be licensed access to the software and online support.

I'm on it. My Zero dealer at Procycles Hornsby is only 5km away so I'll go in and have a chat to them.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf
Pages: [1] 2