• April 27, 2024, 10:48:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Storage bag popped out and got run over...  (Read 1381 times)

biolife

• View Profile
Storage bag popped out and got run over...
« on: May 15, 2014, 02:36:46 AM »

It all happened so fast. I was riding to work this morning and saw a gas biker a block or two behind me. I slowed down slightly to give him a chance to catch up, then stayed in close proximity to give him a chance to check out my new SR. Of course, the SR doesn't look like a particularly fast bike, so riding with traffic doesn't really do it justice.

Turns out we were both heading in a similar direction, so we rode near by each other for the next 30 blocks or so. Obviously with morning traffic, it's a little hard to rip it around without taking some unnecessary risks, so I decided to keep my throttle hand steady with the flow of traffic until we hit the bridge, where it widens from 2 lanes to 4 for a good half-mile or so.

"This is my chance," I thought to myself, "to show this guy what my bike is really capable of." So, cruising along at 60km/h, I pulled onto the bridge, ducked forward a bit and gave the throttle a firm twist. The car in front was probably 200 meters ahead, so I knew I had more than enough room to get it up to a quick enough speed to make my point. 80, 90, 100, then all of a sudden a black object appears out of nowhere, hits my right arm, and rolls onto the road behind me. I look in my mirror as I let off the throttle and tried to figure out what just happened. Then it hit me. I looked down and saw an empty hole in front of me.

I'd stripped the SR bare the night before, pulling off the fairing and the seat to take a peek at what lies beneath. I guess in putting the storage bag back in I didn't give it enough of a push to secure the velcro. Oh, and I didn't even think about securing it with the helmet lock.

I slow down to about 60 and start cruising again, obviously feeling a bit stupid but also wondering whether it's worth going back for. The case is pretty poor build quality and has a cheap feel to it, so I've been fond of getting rid of it and doing something else with the space anyway. However, I figure I should at least go back and pick it up off the road so it's not in the way of other cars. So off I go, taking a detour back over the bridge, then making another couple of turns to get back on. Thankfully as I enter the bridge, I see cars stopped at the intersection before waiting for the light to turn green. I bump up my speed to leave enough room behind me, then brake firmly next to the bag, reach over and pick it up, then pop it back in before I gun it again. As I take off, I look in my mirror and notice a bus behind me has turned on his hazards, so I wave my hand to say thanks and continue on to the office.

I guess someone thought it would be a good idea to run over a black box (personally I'd have avoided it, since it's a pretty big object), and it didn't fair too well as evidenced in the attached photos.

So what's next? Well, after taking my SR to the grocery store and realizing how little actually fits in the storage bag, I'm not really seeing much value in having it in there. I don't bring my cable with me, since I've just been charging at home for now, and I normally have a messenger bag anyway to carry my laptop, iPad, etc. so if I need the cable I figure I can just toss it in there.

What I may do is just pull the storage bag out and leave it empty. I kind of like the idea of having it open, that way people who walk or drive by will be even more confused by the big empty space where the gas tank is supposed to be. Alternatively, I may just see if I can order the fairing used for bikes that have the power tank, that way I'll have plenty of space below it to play around with, and plenty more options to consider as I move forward (like a helmet storage area underneath the fairing, a folding latch so I can lift it up and put my bag or some groceries underneath, etc.). The possibilities are endless.

ReeveSteves

• View Profile
Re: Storage bag popped out and got run over...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:57:50 AM »

That will happen. If you have a windshield an empty storage bag will pop up at about 75 MPH. I'd imagine it will pop up at higher speeds even without a windshield. The top is in a low pressure area behind the dash. Really it seems like an afterthought to use the space meant for the Power Tank. If you want to keep it, it should always be locked in place.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:07:31 AM »

Dang. I guess I will lock mine in too. I occasionally don't even zip up the top and that lid flops around in the wind, but never thought the whole storage unit could fly out, and I also don't have mine locked into position...well now I do cause I just locked it. The storage unit on your SR might be different than my 2013 S though.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:25:31 AM »

That sucks. If it helps, I refer to the storage bag as a "lunch box", which is about what it's good for. Or an extremely minimal overnight bag. ;)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:30:48 AM »

Hah! I learned this lesson early - the exact same thing happened to me on my test ride!  :-[  Now I don't feel so bad!
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:26:38 AM »

Well, you could always fill the empty space with another battery.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:40:00 AM »

Nature and Richard abhor vacuums. I might just leave it open too, but I would probably pony up for a new storage unit cause I use mine all the time for phone, glasses and drink refills from Subway.

Bakersbread

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »

I fill mine with hope dreams and rainbows. Lol

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »

Wow, I'm glad I've been keeping shtuff in mine to keep it weighed down. I generally have my brake lock, a small first aid kit, an electronic flare/flashlight, and the charging cable in there when I'm riding. The brake lock is by far the heaviest; no way it's going to fly out of there with that thing in it!

I installed the rack and Givi trunk to carry shtuff that I don't always want on the bike. I love it -- for one thing, it serves as an actual helmet lock. But it's surprising how many groceries you can fit in there too!
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 07:51:53 AM »

Yesterday I bought a small artist's paint brush from Hobby Lobby and l put it in the storage area. It was inside a small plastic bag. I then zipped the storage bucket about half way around like I always have done before and rode home 8 miles. When I got home, the plastic bag and brush were gone. How they got sucked out of there and past me without me seeing it is a mystery. The bucket itself is locked into place now since following this thread, so it isn't going anywhere, but from now on I will zip the bucket closed if I have something small inside it. The only other thing I've lost is a rolled up newspaper I stuck rather loosely in the tube frame, but that is understandable. I didn't see that fly out either, but I remember someone behind me honking at me for no apparent reason.

krash7172

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »

It's junk. Someone should come up with a cost effective lid.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3755.0
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
2015 BMW R nineT
2014 Zero SR
2013 Ducati Monster 696
1991 Honda VFR 750

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 08:44:01 PM »

I prefer the idea of replacing the bag with a battery.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »

The zipper is typically the weak point on the bags.
I have heard of some folks taking them to an upholstery shop and getting the small zipper replaced with a YKK type zipper. Not too expensive from what I've heard.
It might also be a good idea to buy some adhesive backed Velcro and completely cover the bottom of the tank bag area in the tank as well as the bottom of the bag itself for possibly better retention of the bag.
Also wise to use the helmet lock to hold the bag strap.
Pages: [1]