• October 01, 2024, 01:13:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Esse Esse 9 at 621lbs or 591lbs, either way, too heavy?  (Read 1149 times)

jbtx

• View Profile
Esse Esse 9 at 621lbs or 591lbs, either way, too heavy?
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:44:40 AM »

I love the beautiful design of the Esse Esse 9, and there is no question that the trim level is higher than zero sr/f or the hd LiveWire. On the topics of appearance, equipment, range, power, or charging speed, Energica wins. But the weight! It probably has so much extra of these things that it outweighs the competition by 100+ pounds to come in at 590-620lbs depending on old battery or new. Throughout the years I have ridden heavy motorcycles. And my large adventure bikes with high seats are my favorite for long distance road trips and off-road fun. This bike outweighs even those monsters.

I’m just very curious for those that transitioned into this motorcycle what the handling is like at slow speeds in the city, where I do most of my riding. I’ve never dropped a bike on the street before, and I am a cautious older rider. But I’m also not looking to push my luck.

I’m leaning towards a new zero SR/F purchase primarily based on the weight issue alone. Has anyone else struggled with this decision based on weight?

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Esse Esse 9 at 621lbs or 591lbs, either way, too heavy?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 11:39:10 AM »

I love the beautiful design of the Esse Esse 9, and there is no question that the trim level is higher than zero sr/f or the hd LiveWire. On the topics of appearance, equipment, range, power, or charging speed, Energica wins. But the weight! It probably has so much extra of these things that it outweighs the competition by 100+ pounds to come in at 590-620lbs depending on old battery or new. Throughout the years I have ridden heavy motorcycles. And my large adventure bikes with high seats are my favorite for long distance road trips and off-road fun. This bike outweighs even those monsters.

I’m just very curious for those that transitioned into this motorcycle what the handling is like at slow speeds in the city, where I do most of my riding. I’ve never dropped a bike on the street before, and I am a cautious older rider. But I’m also not looking to push my luck.

I’m leaning towards a new zero SR/F purchase primarily based on the weight issue alone. Has anyone else struggled with this decision based on weight?
I have ridden my 2020 SS9 (the older heavier one) at very slow speeds with no issues, but I would prefer the light Zeros for such.

What does the SR/F weight? I don't remember how it compares in weight to the Energica. But the SR/F has no reverse or slow forward.  The Energica does and that often helps a lot with very slow speed stuff, such as moving it around a few feet.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jbtx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 11:44:07 AM »

Don, the SR/F standard version is 485lbs

I’m encouraged to hear that you have not experienced awkward handling a slow speed’s. The available reviews all seem to quote the heavy weight that is reasonably high up as a factor in downtown urban riding with this bike.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 11:52:05 AM »

Don, the SR/F standard version is 485lbs

I’m encouraged to hear that you have not experienced awkward handling a slow speed’s. The available reviews all seem to quote the heavy weight that is reasonably high up as a factor in downtown urban riding with this bike.
I am very used to heavier bikes, so I really don't notice. When I need to, I ride my 1,000 lb Harley around town with no issues.

Nevertheless, for around town stuff, I would say the lighter the better. But that doesn't mean you cannot do the same with a thousand lb bike. I have done such enough times with my Harley and they don't make many two wheel bikes heavier than it.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 06:07:10 PM »

Weight factored in my decision to buy the SS9 but in its favor. I test rode the Zero SR, DSR, and SR/F Premium. The SR/F was the only Zero I liked on the freeway. Then I test rode the Energica SS9 and Eva107 and liked them even more on the freeway. Since my last 6 gas bikes were heavier bikes, the weight of the Energicas didn’t bother me at around town speeds. I was already used to riding heavy bikes at slow speeds. I commuted and toured on a Victory Cross Country Tour for a few years so compared to that beast everything else has felt very nimble, not that the Victory was bad, it wasn’t. It was just a physically big bike.

I like my SS9 so much that I sold my Triumph Trophy to make room for the Ribelle I have on order. In the end, it’s what you get used to. If you’re used to big heavy bikes, the weight of the Energicas probably won’t bother you. If you’re used to much lighter bikes then you probably won’t like the Energicas.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

jbtx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 06:36:18 PM »

Thanks for feedback keep it coming. To answer the question, I guess I’m used to a heavy bike for long distance touring to absorb the road. And a more nimble lighter bike for downtown and urban riding. For me in the past, the electric use case has been the latter, not the former. So I’m just trying to rationalize the SS9 use case, Which seems more cafe racer /scrambler style. Not touring. I just love the look so much! I’m trying to talk myself into it LOL.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 06:42:32 PM »

I can see the Energicas feeling ungainly in a pure urban environment. Since I’m in the Burbs, the SS9 works for me since I spend just as much time on the freeway as I do around town.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 09:16:19 PM »

I have weighed my 2018 Zero S with a Power Tank and it weighs 452 pounds. Even that bike is very difficult for me to push around, especially backwards and uphill, as I need to do to get it parked in my garage. I don't think I could move a 630 pound Energica more than a couple of feet before I collapsed, being 75 and weighing 155 pounds. While I have never tried to push around an Energica, I do know that my Zero is a lot more difficult to move due to the drag of its direct-drive electric motor connection than most ICE motorcycles in neutral. I would say that my Zero adds about 100 pounds to its pushing effort. So that is my personal concern.

But I will admit that a heavier motorcycle typically rides smoother and is more stable on the highway, just not around shopping center parking lots - or two car garages.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »

I have weighed my 2018 Zero S with a Power Tank and it weighs 452 pounds. Even that bike is very difficult for me to push around, especially backwards and uphill, as I need to do to get it parked in my garage. I don't think I could move a 630 pound Energica more than a couple of feet before I collapsed, being 75 and weighing 155 pounds. While I have never tried to push around an Energica, I do know that my Zero is a lot more difficult to move due to the drag of its direct-drive electric motor connection than most ICE motorcycles in neutral. I would say that my Zero adds about 100 pounds to its pushing effort. So that is my personal concern.

But I will admit that a heavier motorcycle typically rides smoother and is more stable on the highway, just not around shopping center parking lots - or two car garages.   ;)

The Energicas have a slow mode (forward and backward) to maneuver it around in parking lots and such. This means you at least don't have to push, just make sure to not tip it over.
Energica SS9+

Anubis-R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 09:40:04 PM »

@jbtx :
I had a SV650 before buying my EVA, and don't regret it at all! :)

that's an heavy bike but all is pretty well balanced, this means it's not that hard to manipulate, and the slow Forward an Rear mode are helping a lot.

for cornering, that's like a big 1300 cc roadster

i never have been near from dropping the bike, even while sidelaning in city it handle well.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 10:17:23 PM »

The Energicas have a slow mode (forward and backward) to maneuver it around in parking lots and such. This means you at least don't have to push, just make sure to not tip it over.
Here in Auburn my driveway is quite steep all the way to the garage door. I have much more difficulty backing my Zero SR in the garage than my SS9. The SS9 slow reverse makes it very easy. I wish all my bikes had that.  Weight makes a big difference with such stuff, but the reverse and slow forward makes it even easier than a light bike.

BTW, I have never had my Harley at this house. It will be too difficult to deal with trying to get it in and out of the garage. It needs the reverse the most of all, but doesn't have such.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

jbtx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 01:14:58 AM »

I’m approaching 50 and have never dropped a bike on the street. Off road, plenty :-) But I’ve also not rode a bike over 500 lbs in an urban/downtown daily setting. The SS9 weighs more than my Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport - a bike I LOVE for touring and off-road. That just has me a bit spooked for downtown and urban setting.

Lots to consider thanks again for all the comments.

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 01:42:38 AM »

The Zero SDS 414 lb chassis is better balanced for trail braking, whereas the 620 lb SS9 was reviewed as standing up on trail braking, so you'd have to do your braking straight up, before corner entry.  The massive, high bars on the SS9 were listed as needed to combat the understeer.

The new 20 kWh MotoE bikes apparently have the same problem and need to be 'steered with the rear.'

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 06:04:40 AM »

But I’ve also not rode a bike over 500 lbs in an urban/downtown daily setting. The SS9 weighs more than my Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport.

Not saying the SS9 is light but it's not that much heavier than the Africa twin, you fill the tank up and your at ~560lbs on the Honda.
As for city riding when you are in motion you just don't give it a thought, 2020 bikes with 30 less lbs even less so.

Link to a good video about low speed handling of a 2019 SS9. For reference this was his first time ever riding a Energica. At the end of the day it's all training and mental confidence.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 06:39:35 AM »

As for city riding when you are in motion you just don't give it a thought, 2020 bikes with 30 less lbs even less so.
My older bike is the 2020 model, here in the USA. I purchased it in August of 2019. I think they will be calling the new bikes with the larger battery 2021 models here in the USA.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X