• October 01, 2024, 10:23:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: CalMotor==anybody here going?  (Read 1965 times)

oobflyer

• View Profile
Re: CalMotor==anybody here going?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »

I think their best looking Energica  is the red Ego. But their most comfy bike is the SS9.

I agree - I used to ride more aggressive sport bikes (Hurricanes and Ninjas) when I was younger, but when I sat on the Ego I had to lean forward much more than the Ribelle or the SS9. Although the Ribelle has a slight forward-leaning stance it seemed much closer to the SS9 than the Ego, to me.

If I were to pick one I would go with the Ribelle as it seems like a good compromise; sportier and nicer looking than the SS9 (but not quite as comfy), but more comfortable than the Ego.

Here is are two pictures one of me sitting on the SS9, the other on the Eva Ribelle - not too much more of a lean on the Ribelle:

2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2020, 09:22:19 AM »

the better charging system is not a feature all of us can use yet.

Where are you located Crissa?

CCS charging stations are already all across the US (the first picture is from PlugShare with only CCS chargers displayed).
(There are more listed on other charging station apps and websites.)

They just installed another 12 or 15 where I live in Stockton, CA
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2020, 09:35:54 AM »

So did you guys test ride or just look and take pictures?

llukas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 09:42:30 AM »

Don, Energicas are big, heavy, and not designed for anything but sport-bike posture and weighting.

I also attended Calmoto event and have different impressions about Energicas. I expected them to be heavy, based on what I read earlier, but it didn't feel this way at all. I'd even say it didn't feel heavier than 790 Adventure I use. I also sat on SR/F and didn't remember it feeling lighter - Energica has overall way better finish (I had deposit for SR/F but passed on it).

SS9 has a comfy upright position.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »

Don, Energicas are big, heavy, and not designed for anything but sport-bike posture and weighting.

And like Richard said, the better charging system is not a feature all of us can use yet.

The Energica is definitely the best you can buy - but that doesn't mean it's best for everything.

-Crissa
Much like the SR/F. I find of the four electric bikes (three Energicas and the SR/F) the SR/F is the most uncomfortable to me. Certainly performed well, however. The Esse Esse 9 is a lot more comfortable than the other two Energicas and even more so when compared to the SR/F. But that is for me. Other people may find the SR/F fits them well. But for me, it was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I have been on, other than I thought the seat was a lot better than my two Zeros. But I wasn't on it long enough to be sure.

By far, my most comfy bike for a long trip is my heaviest. The Harley. That would be my pick for going across the country. I do not have a favorite bike and I will not say one bike is any better than the other. They simply have different uses.

I have my Esse Esse 9 charging on 120 VAC right now. Kinda charging off and on.  It's in the LPR (Long Period Rest) mode to keep it charged at the perfect percentage as I have not ridden it for almost two months.

The bikes I ride the most are my two Zeros, and by far. Those are great get around town bikes.

Have you ridden an SS9 to see if it feels heavy to you?  I really don't notice it as all that heavy, because I have many bikes a lot heavier than it, so I am very used to heavy bikes. On the freeway, I prefer heavy bikes and that's where I mainly ride my Esse Esse 9. But not so much in the middle of winter. Now it's a better time for my ICE bikes. But I still use the Zeros for very short trips.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »

Here is are two pictures one of me sitting on the SS9, the other on the Eva Ribelle - not too much more of a lean on the Ribelle:
I can see the difference as you have to left your head up more on the Ribelle.

Strange, but I could not feel a big difference between the Ego and the Ribelle when I sat on them. I did NOT test ride either, however.  The Esse Esse 9 is where I feel the big difference.

If I were into sport riding, I would have the red Ego, but I am more into the comfort.

Those photos were great, I wish you could have included the Ego in there. I wonder if I could notice the difference between it and the Ego that way.

I know most people (but that term often leaves me out) like the Ribelle. I had no opinion on it until I sat on it yesterday. And I was not all that crazy about its looks. I certainly like the looks of the red Ego better, but I will not buy a bike based on looks. I want to ride bikes, not look at them. And I cannot see what it looks like while I am riding anyway.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »

the better charging system is not a feature all of us can use yet.

Where are you located Crissa?

CCS charging stations are already all across the US (the first picture is from PlugShare with only CCS chargers displayed).
(There are more listed on other charging station apps and websites.)

She is in Santa Cruz.

There are many CCS chargers but they are not spread out very well. Between here and Reno, there are six places I can get a CCS charge in that 99 miles. Also no problem going west of here. I just wish the entire country was like that.

BTW, I rode through Stockton yesterday on my Moto Guzzi.

-Don- Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 11:21:34 AM »

I also attended Calmoto event and have different impressions about Energicas. I expected them to be heavy, based on what I read earlier, but it didn't feel this way at all. I'd even say it didn't feel heavier than 790 Adventure I use. I also sat on SR/F and didn't remember it feeling lighter - Energica has overall way better finish (I had deposit for SR/F but passed on it).

Welcome to the forum! What time were you there?

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2020, 11:32:30 AM »

I wonder why most Wal*Marts do NOT have a J-1772 station. The one in Elk Grove does. But I think only there. They are all from Electrify America, so I wonder why they do not have the most common station  of them all. What I mean by most common, is AFAIK, every EV (motorcycle or car) can use the J-1772 in one way or another. Even Teslas, Zeros, Energica. What EVs  cannot use J-1772? Are there any? Is there any EV charger that cannot run from 240 VAC? I have yet to see such.

There are many that cannot use CCS, such as Tesla.  I would think they would have the J1772 everywhere they have CCS.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »

As a relatively newer rider in the USA, i would like to be as objective as possible to this discussion:

I guess what would really be great is, if any eMotorcycle company could come up with a bike that has size (weight and dimensions) similar to a Zero S/SR, but with DC fast charge. This would be a great as a commuter and as an occasional long riding bike. Which would mean that this could probably cater to most of the newer motorcycle market (atleast in the USA). I say this as not many of the newer motorcycle riders would want a huge bike or something that need to go cross country.

I have seen many new bikes in my workplace pop up in the last year or so. Of course a lot of these are gas bikes. The most of what i have seen are naked ~600CC bikes or sport tourers. I dont see any Harley's or super sports. I can see that maneuverability, comfort and being less intimidating than the other categories of bigger and/or more powerful bikes as a good factor.
The age group of these new-riders-to-workplace is between 25-40 from what i have seen.

At this point i since there are only 2 major companies manufacturing eBikes, i only see 2 options:
1. Energica could come up with a new model which uses the same battery tech as their 21kWh pack, but with something like 13kWh capacity. This would certainly reduce the weight. Also this would mean reducing weight elsewhere on the bike too. Like a smaller motor enough for a 0-60 in 4-5 seconds and a 100mph(more than enough for real world roads), smaller rear wheel and tire, lighter frame etc. This would certainly be priced competitively with the Zero S/SR too.

2. Or Zero somehow brings in DC fast charging to the S/SR models.

I guess until either of this happens, the good chunk of the newer riders will always have to make a compromise on one thing or the other, just like i did. Sure i would love to have DC fast charging on my bike, but the Energicas look intimidating in terms of their size and power/torque figures and way above my budget too. I do get bummed that i have to wait a good chunk of time to charge when i go on the occasional long rides (150-200 miles). But the reality is that i have to live with it for now :)
-Shayan

2023 Energica Ribelle RS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:52 PM »

CCS is great for short charging, but they're installing it at like Whole Foods now.  I don't understand why they're putting CCS at places where you expect to spend more than twenty minutes, tho.

But I don't know of any in Santa Cruz.  I could use them if I wanted to get to North Bay, but that's out of my riding ability, too.

-Crissa

The reason it hasn't happened is because the electronics would be more expensive and heavier.  But yes, the charging faster seems to be a more important thing than range.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

llukas

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »

Welcome to the forum! What time were you there?

-Don-  Auburn, CA

I think 11-13ish. Tall guy in blue jacket with orange backpack.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »

CCS is great for short charging, but they're installing it at like Whole Foods now.  I don't understand why they're putting CCS at places where you expect to spend more than twenty minutes, tho.

But I don't know of any in Santa Cruz.  I could use them if I wanted to get to North Bay, but that's out of my riding ability, too.

-Crissa

The reason it hasn't happened is because the electronics would be more expensive and heavier.  But yes, the charging faster seems to be a more important thing than range.

There are a couple CCS stations in Santa Cruz. I use them often.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »

I think 11-13ish. Tall guy in blue jacket with orange backpack.
Was Laurence showing you another black backpack? If so, I was the guy who said hello to Laurence when you were done with him.

I think I do remember seeing a guy there with an orange backpack, but I am not sure if we said anything to each other.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2020, 06:20:51 PM »

The first time I sat on an Eva the biggest difference I noticed compared to my SR was that the Eva is very much a full sized motorcycle. The SR always seemed small. Yes you get used to it but it was something I noticed every time I got on it. It left me wishing that someone would build a full sized electric motorcycle and Energica did that. Lots of concern about the Energica's weight and no question they are not light.  But I have ridden mine on the Tail of the Dragon in western NC and the weight didn't seem to be any issue when pushing it through the tight twisties of the Dragon. Energica also has far stronger regen than the SR has. You are not going to use those Brembos nearly as much as you would think given the weight of the bike.

I think something we are seeing here is that competition is good for everyone. I think it will be interesting to see how the SR/F and the Eva Ribelle compare in sales for 2020. Both bikes will have their fans but the choice between them isn't obvious for new riders. For a long time Zero was the only game in town if someone wanted an electric motorcycle and that is no longer the case.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4