• October 01, 2024, 07:26:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Riding in the rain...  (Read 699 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Riding in the rain...
« on: January 14, 2020, 05:21:36 AM »

Have any Energica owners ridden their bikes in serious rain? Not drizzle or a light rain, but rain that will seep through most riding suits after 30-60 minutes?

I've been caught in light rain on my EsseEsse9 and it did fine but I have to admit I'm nervous about the thought of riding it in any real downpour.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: Riding in the rain...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 07:14:30 AM »

I don't get that serious of rain pretty much ever where I live. I've ridden my Zeroes and my Energica SS9 in what I would call *moderate* rain. So far the Energica doesn't seem to care, whereas the Zeros would regularly throw up error codes/isolation faults until they dried out.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 07:58:04 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. Having grown up in South Carolina and Georgia, I wouldn't compare Northern California rain to the storms we had growing up but I just hadn't purposely taken my SS9 out in what the local news would call a level 2+ rain storm. I probably won't intentionally go out in any real rain but it would be nice to know that if I do get caught in a significant storm that the Energica will handle it without issue.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:42:39 PM »

Just a few months after purchase, I caught the biggest summer shower in my life on the way back of my commute. The rain was so severe that me and another motorcyclist had to drive 10-20 mph on the left shoulder lane (cars even stopped) and the water was pouring over my helmet like someone was emptying a bucket. There was a layer of water on the highway.

I was afraid that anytime a warning would appear on the dash or the bike would die on me: nothing happened! Due to the severity of the rain, the bike was actually very clean when the shower was over. I can only recall some fog in the head light (has vents on the back) that went away later.

I have caught showers more often and am therefore not afraid of rain with the Energica. BTW, For rain drivers, please check out Energica part number ENA006081, it's a splash guard for the SS9 (Eva has other code), keeping your back(pack) and saddle dry (and clean) in the rain.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:44:18 PM by SBK74 »
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »

Thanks for the tip on the splash guard. I saw that in the Ribelle configurator. I may go ahead and order at least one for my EsseEsse9.

Anubis-R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:15:49 PM »

Hi Bigpoppa,

I'm located in france;Brittany, and here, the weather is like UK's one  ;D
i'm riding my Eva every day for commuting (20k kms), so i'm experiencing (pretty often...) big rains with big winds

ere are my thoughts :

- one of my headlight ballast have been destroyed by a short circuit, this causes the entire headlight to shut off... which is not really a good idea while riding during winter...  :-\ :o
TIPS : even with low beam Out of service, you could use your high beams if you switch it ON BEFORE starting the bike.
 ;)

this issue have been solved very efficiently by energica within the warranty by changing the light and ballast. :)

TIPS 2 : I put some tape under the headlight to avoid water from washing the interior of the headlight.  ;)

- I stick to rain mode when really wet, this is very slippery in sport mode, and already experienced a nearly highside 2-3 times...
my tires are now michelin Road 5 and I love it, perfect for rain and good also for sport/dry road

- the best of raining equipment is a waterproof jacket and waterploof trousers

- Charging AC under soft rain have been fine to me too  ;), didn't try with heavy rain though
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:27:05 PM by Anubis-R »

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Anubis-R! I switched to sport touring tires on my EsseEsse9 once the stock rear wore out. I'm a firm believe in sport touring tires for my every day riding.

All the feedback so far makes me more comfortable that should I get caught in any significant rain the Energicas should do fine. I still won't intentionally head out in the rain though since I'm a little anal about keeping my bikes clean and I'm too lazy to spend an hour or so cleaning it up after commuting in the rain each day.
Pages: [1]