• September 21, 2024, 08:47:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NIU RQi electric motorcycle  (Read 2076 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
NIU RQi electric motorcycle
« on: January 08, 2020, 08:57:40 PM »

Nice looking and would be great for urban usage, especially with its removable batteries, but a bit short on range and perhaps a little too pricey for what you get for the general motorcycle market. However, the real issue will be setting up a retail, distribution, repair and parts supply operation in the U.S., if they want to sell their vehicles here:  https://electrek.co/2020/01/07/niu-rqi-gt-electric-motorcycle-unveiled-affordability/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:31:06 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: NIU RQi electric motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 12:22:09 AM »

Hey, I already linked to it :P

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 02:54:47 AM »

Hey, I already linked to it :P

-Crissa
And this is the reason why you don't put a click bait (and just plain false) title on your threads. Not only does it lead to reposts it does nothing to help people searching for it in the future.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 02:58:52 AM »

And this is the reason why you don't put a click bait (and just plain false) title on your threads. Not only does it lead to reposts it does nothing to help people searching for it in the future.
Niu is a Chinese manufacturer, and the keywords in the search string were correct afaik.

I mis-typed the manufacturer the first time; I was posting from my phone.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:24:53 AM »

Niu is a Chinese manufacturer, and the keywords in the search string were correct afaik.

I mis-typed the manufacturer the first time; I was posting from my phone.

-Crissa
But it's not a copy of the SR/F and probably not of the Arcimoto either (I'd never heard of those before, but a quick search shows it to be a three wheeler thing, not that unique). The way you wrote it made it sound like they'd made a clone or ripoff of them.

As for the keywords, I can't see them. While you may have tagged it with the right terms and it might show up in a search having that vague title doesn't help pick it out from a long list of search results.

Besides that there's just no need to click bait here, it's not like you're getting paid for every person that clicks on the thread.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 03:37:14 AM »

Richard literally commented in the thread I made.

Their bike is trying to have the same features, is described in their promotional materials the same way, as those two that began selling last year.  So yes, they're a copy.  Not an infringing one, but they're definitely aiming for the same market.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 04:08:10 AM »

I would also prefer that we not cast aspersions in a thread title. It influences web search ranking and gets fed into databases implying very fuzzy but onerous conclusions.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 04:10:54 AM »

What features, that are unique to the SR/F? The performance isn't the same, the range isn't the same, the styling isn't the same. The only thing they have in common is that they're electric motorcycles, if you're going to call that a copy then so is a Super Soco, or an Energica, or a CSC, or a Sur-ron, etc. In terms of specs (and probably pricing) its closest competitor will actually be a 7.2kW/h Zero S.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 04:48:24 AM »

All I can say is that my memory isn't what it used to be and that wasn't all that great at the time.  Sorry about duplicating a thread subject.  But there are so many electric motorcycles being announced on the internet, that it is hard to keep track of them all.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:51:12 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 04:50:44 AM »

The always-online interactive TFT display... Basically all the electronic features of the SR/F.  ABS, traction control, etc.  No, not the performance.  They describe it as an interactive appliance in the same way Zero describes theirs.

I was listening to what they said instead of just skimming to the performance details.  Because that's what non-performance-oriented-people like Execs and well, nearly everyone who doesn't drive a manual vehicle, does.  Which is also nearly everyone!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 05:57:33 AM »

The always-online interactive TFT display... Basically all the electronic features of the SR/F.  ABS, traction control, etc.  No, not the performance.  They describe it as an interactive appliance in the same way Zero describes theirs.

I was listening to what they said instead of just skimming to the performance details.  Because that's what non-performance-oriented-people like Execs and well, nearly everyone who doesn't drive a manual vehicle, does.  Which is also nearly everyone!

-Crissa
And all of those things are unique to the SR/F? Plenty of bikes have TFT dashes and traction control these days. Niu's scooters have had TFT dashes for a while, perhaps even before the SR/F. My KTM Duke had one back in 2016. The vast majority of the features they've put into this bike were also available on their scooters, including the bluetooth connectivity (which my Duke also had) and cellular and GPS connectivity for tracking. It also has features that the SR/F doesn't have such as an adaptive headlight (perhaps they copied that from BMW), tyre pressure monitoring (also copied from BMW among others), and remote lock/unlock/start from a connected phone.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 06:57:18 AM »

Why would any single feature have to be unique to the SR/F for them to be copying it as a product?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 07:16:58 AM »

Because otherwise I can just say they copied those features from other companies, which I did. Of course I did so jokingly because suggesting that they copied any of those is absurd. The only things it has in common with the SR/F it also has in common with other bikes, and the SR/F has in common with those bikes. If it's a copy then so is the SR/F, and so are the bikes that the SR/F copied from, and so on until we get all the way back to the Daimler Reitwagen.

If you want to know what copying really is then go have a look at the Chinese clones of bikes like the CG125 and Honda Cub. Bikes that are near identical except for badges and minor component differences.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »

Yes, every bike is a copy of a bike or collection of bikes before.

That's how development of technology works.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »

Well if that's the way you view it (I view it more as inspiration than copying, but that's semantics) why feel the need to point it out? And why is it a copy of the SR/F specifically? Pretty much every feature on the bike has likely existed on another bike prior to it, that's a given with most bikes. Mentioning it would be useless and deciding which particular model it "copied" would essentially be random. It would be the same as if I said the SR/F was a copy of the Super Duke, it probably has just as much in common with it as Niu's bike does with the SR/F and there are probably a dozen other bikes I could replace the Super Duke with.
Pages: [1] 2 3