• April 26, 2024, 12:38:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F Battery Drain in Storage  (Read 742 times)

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
SR/F Battery Drain in Storage
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:45:50 PM »

I've had my SR/F "put away" in my basement for about three weeks now, I've been checking the SOC once a week or so, and to my surprise, it has dropped from 45% to 41% just sitting there.  My DSR would sit all winter and not lose 1%.  Looks like I may end up having to top it off to keep it over 40%. 

STeve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Hans2183

• View Profile
Re: SR/F Battery Drain in Storage
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:46:15 PM »

FYI: Every time you switch it on to check you reschedule its storage mode. It's programmed to go into that mode after 30 days of no use. In storage mode it will only let you charge to 60% and if it was more than 60% it will automatically discharge the battery to 60%.

As long as you don't go below 30% all should be fine for longer periods of time.

(that's all I know, from the manual)
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »

I think the SR/F communicates via cell networks with Zero to automatically update it's software and location, doesn't it?  The older models didn't have this capability and required the bluetooth connection to a cell phone to determine if a software update was necessary (and they don't have a built-in GPS to let you know where it is located).  That might explain why you're seeing a slightly faster battery drain than on the older model.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 11:00:24 PM »

stevenh, you can ship it down here to Atlanta.  I'll keep it warm and walk it everyday.   ;)

I'd say it's a combo of what Hans and Jamie said.  Can you check the SOC from the phone app while the bike is still off?  That would be ideal.  Let the phone send you an email saying it's below it's target storage SOC.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 02:06:55 AM »

FYI: Every time you switch it on to check you reschedule its storage mode. It's programmed to go into that mode after 30 days of no use.

So if he's had it parked for three weeks, it wouldn't have entered "storage mode" yet anyhow. He'd have seen same the SoC drop.

Is it getting colder in the basement? That would lead to a drop in voltage, which the BMS might interpret as lower SoC.

It's also possible the new bike has a higher quiescent current draw, for whatever reason. I'm with JaimeC, my first suspect would be the new element, the cell modem.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 02:11:29 AM »

Once I have the notifications configured I can make that notification at a specific soc available
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 04:14:53 AM »

This is my experience with my Zero, but I've seen the SoC actually rebound as I've moved the bike to somewhere 20F warmer.  So yeah, a few percents is really hard to worry about.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 12:15:56 PM »

I am almost certain I read in the manual that the SR/F has a heater blanket for the 12 volt battery  and when the temp drops below a specific threshold,  it will warm it up to maintain its health.
When the voltage drops because of this heating (in the 12V battery) the big battery will send some juice to keep it at the nominal voltage.
This transfer of energy has to be noticable  as the days go by, if the temperature is low enough to trigger this feature.
2020 Zero SR/F

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 05:51:47 PM »

Seems my SR/F has trouble getting cellular in the basement, so I'm not seeing updates on the mobile app (for three weeks).  Any use of notifications is probably out.  It's not that cold down there, it never gets below 55 degrees F.  I may just plug it in and let it charge to 50% or so, and then leave it alone for a couple of months before I check it again.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 07:19:46 PM »

Seems my SR/F has trouble getting cellular in the basement, so I'm not seeing updates on the mobile app (for three weeks).  Any use of notifications is probably out.  It's not that cold down there, it never gets below 55 degrees F.  I may just plug it in and let it charge to 50% or so, and then leave it alone for a couple of months before I check it again.

Steve

AHA!  Don't know about the SR/F, but I do know that when my cellphone is searching for a signal, the battery drains faster than when it has a steady signal.  In spotty areas if I need the battery to last, I either shut it off altogether or put it in "Airplane Mode" for that reason.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »

Steve

AHA!  Don't know about the SR/F, but I do know that when my cellphone is searching for a signal, the battery drains faster than when it has a steady signal.  In spotty areas if I need the battery to last, I either shut it off altogether or put it in "Airplane Mode" for that reason.

I think it's possible to turn off cellular in the settings.  I'll give that a go since it can't get a signal anyway.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

ben.m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 08:56:28 PM »

SR/F battery pack equals around 1440 iPhones... i think it can loose the signal without a massive battery drain :)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »

SR/F battery pack equals around 1440 iPhones... i think it can loose the signal without a massive battery drain :)

The OP didn't say "MASSIVE."  Stop with the straw man arguments.  He said he lost about 4% in three weeks and that it was draining faster than his DSR.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:05:23 PM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

ben.m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 09:13:42 PM »

4% is a lot of energy, almost 600Wh !

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 02:38:53 AM »

4% is a lot of energy, almost 600Wh !

Which averages to just over a watt over the 504 hours in three weeks. That's not unreasonable for a cell modem searching for a signal, combined with whatever else draws current when the bike's shut down. I'd agree, shut that thing off if you're going to store the bike.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: [1]