• April 24, 2024, 01:34:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Safety equipment to install on a bike?  (Read 1173 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Safety equipment to install on a bike?
« on: November 21, 2019, 04:48:20 AM »

Are there any suggestions for safety equipment?

I saw a recommendation for sliders https://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-aero-style-frame-sliders-for-zero-ds-13-14-zero-s-13-15-zero-sr-max-performance-16 but does anyone have any experience with them?  Are they effective?  There are some videos saying some sliders are dangerous.  What do they do?  Where do they end up on the bike from afar? (all these close ups are hard for me to figure.)

There are also axle sliders, like https://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-rear-swingarm-protectors-for-zero-ds-13-14

I saw the Weiser Technik signals.  https://www.weisertechnik.com/zero  They're very bright.  I have them on my Christmas list.  Does anyone have an experience with them?  All I know is that they have an office in Scotts Valley not far from Zero.  I've heard the suggestion I'd need a different relay for them on my '14?

There's also reflectors.  I really like putting 3M on my bicycle, and the tire strips seems the way to do it.  The wider the better, of course, which leads to to the curved tape vs the straight tape https://customtaylor33.com/shop/white-chrome-silver-high-intensity-rim-tape-all-vehicles/ seems expensive, but they are pre-curved pieces.

And as much as I'd like a parking brake - stopping on hills is a real pain - I don't know about this implementation.  https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=95757&sku=ZM10-08172&description=Zero+MC%27s+Parking+Brake+Kit+%2D+ZM10%2D08172 Has anyone tried it?  Does it mess with the rotor any?  Mine's already kinda bent.

I saw some hand guards with turn indicators on them yesterday I really liked, but I don't have a link.  They were awesome, I could see this rider through a string of parked cars in the dark.

And I'm already working on accent lighting utilizing about four meters of 12v 144 LED/m strip which will be hidden under the frame of the bike (and will have a much slower animation utilizing not full-bright!)

Should I break this into several threads?  What on-bike safety gear do others suggest?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

ESokoloff

• View Profile
Re: Safety equipment to install on a bike?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 06:45:57 AM »

Can't comment on sliders as I don't have them.

What I do have are drop bars that (unfortunately) I've used a time or two :P

I sprung for the Weiser Technik's for the rear as I was not able to come up with a better (but cheaper) solution (Amber turn & Red stop).
I wish they featured a continuous on low powered Red (Running) light & they may in the future.
NOTE: The turn signal housings do not appear to be fully waterproof so I took precautions.
I blocked off/sealed where the wires leave the assembly as I figured this was an exit point for air/moisture that might be drawn in via Venturi effect (on the rear).
I also applied a thin & narrow swath of clear silicone sealing the clear lens from the black housing. I used tape to limit the swath. I made sure that the weep holes were not blocked on the underside of the lenses.

For the front turn indicators, I was able to cram a set of (extremely) modified https://www.lasfit.com/collections/led-turn-signal-light/products/lasfit-amber-yellow-1157-bay15d-led-turn-signal-parking-reverse-light-1157a-7528 led bulbs.
I had handgards that I installed two 3w forward faceing & one 1w side facing Amber Oznium https://www.oznium.com/led-bolts-prewired-leds/led-bolt bolts to each side.
These are run through a Skenedesign turn signal modulator  https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/IQ-250-A-TS-Front-Lighting-Controller-with-Alert-%26-Turn-Signals-p80222667 that creates a nice flickering effect (PWM) that increases conspecuousness. NOTE: I found that this PMW effect causes a noise in the DC/DC power supply reminiscent of high tension power lines crackling in humid conditions but no othe negative effects observed.

I also fabricated an 8 Oznium bolt array to the bottom of the Givi trunk rack giving rear & side Running, turn, & brake indications. I ran the stop indicators through a flasher controller https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/strobe-controllers/brake+light/ from superbrightled.com

Also up front I have a pair of Selective Yellow 10w fog lights.
I fabricated T brackets out of scrap heavy gauge sheet metal angles left over from a window trim (curtains) project.
I mounted the brackets to the fork tube protector attachment points via standoffs & longer screws.
I run the power along side of the brake/ABS lines & used the hollow axle bolt to get it to the other side. (A bag of 4" black zip ties & a real zip tie gun made all the difference).
I replaced the incondesent headlight & running light with a LED to free up some electrons for all the other light. 

I installed two Hella (Hi/Low) horns in the front crevices of the faux tank.
For the horn relay, I used a DPST relay & ran the power for my elect shirt through the N.C. contact.
That way I limit the power draw when applying the horn(s) (3 of).

On my ICE bike (2003 BMWR1150RT) I installed reflective tape to the rear of the side bags that's black until hit by light.
After being told someone almost hit my bike in a parking structure, I applied alternating Red/Yellow staggered strips off 3M 1" reflective tape.
I alternated reflective tape & removable masking tape to achieve the staggered effect.

I have handgards so I was able to tie a heavy duty string in a loop around the right side that resembles a tassel ;D
I'm able to apply the front brake & loop this knot over the lever to hold the brake.

I replaced the oddball turn flasher with a solid state unit & had to swap the +- on the bikes socket. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:04:09 AM by ESokoloff »
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 06:50:03 AM »

Those R&G products will not fit 2015+ model year bikes.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 07:11:06 AM »

Well, that's perfect for me, then.  ^-^

But are they useful to have?

NOTE: I found that this PMW effect causes a noise in the DC/DC power supply reminiscent of high tension power lines crackling in humid conditions but no othe negative effects observed.
Hmm.  I'll look into putting some capacitors into the controller to help modulate the power draw, then.

I could just add a PWM module to the Weisers to make a plain tail light, like fire trucks do.  Tho I have been yelled at by some non-neurotypical because they bother some people.  Meh, more flashing is more noticing.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

-Crissa
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:20:51 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 12:58:32 AM »

I think that adding lights to increase your visibility is the best safety measure you can take on a motorcycle.  I highly recommend adding some auxiliary running lights up front.  I mounted these to my Zero crash bars on my DSR.  Crash bars would be another good safety item.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LMUR5K4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791NB4FM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, the price on the Heise running lights from Amazon are a bargain right now.  I paid over twice that a year or so ago.  (These are now back up to the regular price.)

I also converted my front turn signals into running lights.  See this thread.
https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8522.msg72188#msg72188
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:46:47 PM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 01:14:02 AM »

Well, that's perfect for me, then.  ^-^

But are they useful to have?

Are you concerned about damage in the case of a low-side or a drop? Then sure. I had the axle sliders for a bit on my 2013 DS, but never had to use them. I think the only time that bike really took damage was when a car backed into it while parked, and the annoying part was the front forks being bent, because those FastAce forks aren't very robust at all.

Zero's tend to take less damage than most bikes when laid down, but these are sacrificial parts for even that. I will say that Zero FX and S/DS bikes aren't too much of a danger of pinning the rider's leg that I've heard of unless of course the incident is catastrophic. This is because the handlebar tends to take the impact or a side case, leaving space under the bike.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 08:12:43 AM »

Are you concerned about damage in the case of a low-side or a drop? Then sure.
Yeah, I don't expect to need them, but... I have almost dropped it a couple times so far but haven't.  Being in the mountains I'm not always parking on the best terrain and I was thinking it would prevent damage if it tipped.  If it just could lay over without worry, that would be neat.

I also converted my front turn signals into running lights.  See this thread.
https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=8522.msg72188#msg72188
Do you think that'll work with the Weiser Techniks?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 08:46:02 PM »

I had my 2014 S fall over on the right side once.  The only thing broken was the rider's foot peg.  That seems to be the primary crash protector on the Zero. You might consider keeping a spare one under the seat just in case of a tip-over.   ;)

Take it from me, riding a motorcycle without a place to put your foot is no fun.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 06:05:33 AM »

Modulating tail light. Kisan Tail blazer or Gear Brake. Signal Dynamics Backoff is another.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 06:35:46 AM »

Modulating tail light. Kisan Tail blazer or Gear Brake. Signal Dynamics Backoff is another.
Oh, yeah!

A Gear Brake was the first thing I bought.

I haven't installed it since I had trouble taking the tail apart and wanted to get some connectors other than just butt-crimping everything.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 07:46:09 PM »

Forgot to mention Fobo TPMS.........
https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 08:06:23 AM »

Oh, neat!  Thanks, Eric.  I'd heard there were tire pressure management systems for bikes, but I hadn't actually found any.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 10:24:40 AM »

Oh, neat!  Thanks, Eric.  I'd heard there were tire pressure management systems for bikes, but I hadn't actually found any.-Crissa
All ten of my motorcycles have a TPMS. So does this RV. On my Triumph, I un-programmed the stock TPMS and am using the external type which I find to be a lot better than Triumph's, which normally give a low battery indication within six months and cost $200.00 each tire for just the part (battery could not be replaced). So all my bikes now have an external type  sensor TPMS.

My two Zeros use the TPMS that are in the Garmin GPS. Those sensors are too large for my Energica, but these fit perfectly on my SS9.

On some bikes, such as the SS9, one has to be very careful that the sensor does not hit the front brake caliper.

-Don- rainy Payson, AZ (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 05:41:19 AM »

So those sliders I bought don't fit between my battery case and the frame.  Not to mention they don't fit with the cowling.

*sigh*

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 06:24:46 AM »

The R&G sliders? Maybe they didn't do such a good job of fitment, then.
Pages: [1] 2