• April 26, 2024, 03:38:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SR/F Front Brake Lever Not Communicating W/ Computer  (Read 1066 times)

noyesknifer

• View Profile
SR/F Front Brake Lever Not Communicating W/ Computer
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:50:44 AM »

I've had my SR/F for 2k miles now, and I have the latest firmware 5V02 I think it's called. I applied the update like a day after it released, so like the 7th of November.  Today I noticed that my brake regen was no longer turning on when depressing the front brake lever, and I can further confirm that the front break lever is not communicating with the computer because it will not turn off cruise control either.  The latest error code I received was error 8 which is update failed, but it always says update failed even though it succeeded, so I have not had a code since the update.  turning the motorcycle on and off does not fix the problem.  I have not modified the lever at all since I got the motorcycle.  Any ideas on how to fix it before I go back to the dealer? 
2020 Zero SR/F Standard (sold)
2019 Yamaha Niken
2021 Triumph Rocket 3R

vinceherman

• View Profile
Re: SR/F Front Brake Lever Not Communicating W/ Computer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:48:50 AM »

I had something very similar happened to me. The dangerous thing is that your brake light is not being lit either. The dealer replaced the contact switch that is part of the front brake assembly and everything works as it should now. Go to your dealer immediately because this is a safety issue.

noyesknifer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:55:08 AM »

yeah, you're right the brake light is not illuminating.  Guess I have to take it to the dealer.
2019 Yamaha Niken
2021 Triumph Rocket 3R

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:47:00 AM »

Does it work with rear brake?

noyesknifer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »

It was working with the rear brake yeah.

I was reading the thread vinceherman started when he had this issue and one user suggested tightening some screws under the base of the lever.  For future reference these screws are Torx 6 size, so if you have an SR/F I suggest buying a Torx screw with the size 6 head in case this happens to you.  So I tightened those screws and the brake light started coming on again when I pressed the front brake lever.  Guess there's no need to go the dealer yay
2019 Yamaha Niken
2021 Triumph Rocket 3R

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »

Had the same problem. The microswitch on my front break lever was replaced under warranty. It sometimes worked again after wiggling the wires. But no proper fix. You really need to replace the part.

edit: in my case it happened after a few very wet rides. I think it's not as sealed for water as it should be being up front unprotected. Had a first wet ride today with the new switch. If it fails again I'll know for sure and probably make some splash protection for it after having it replaced again by the dealer. I use my SR/F all year round in any weather so this problem might return sooner or later.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:11:44 PM by Hans2183 »
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 06:51:21 PM »

in my case it happened after a few very wet rides.
I also had a number of wet rides before the failure so we have at least 2 data points supporting the switch seal.  :)
I have had a fair number of wet rides since the replacement with no issue.

noyesknifer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »

Just for reference I've never had a wet ride before
2019 Yamaha Niken
2021 Triumph Rocket 3R

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 11:13:25 PM »

It does sound like this switch deserves some more ingress protection or a better fastening.

Do keep in mind that if this happens to you, the rear brake pedal has an inherently more reliable sensor to help invoke regen/lights/etc. which is enough to get you home to check the microswitch.

For what it's worth, there are more common motorcycle models with similar brake lever sensor issues - the new platform is showing a lack of robustness around a faulty switch, though, which probably deserves a little attention.

Does anyone have a clear photo of the switch? Particularly one that's had some trouble, in case the loose position is visually distinguishable or something.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 03:36:44 AM »

My faulty one is gone now. I do remember it still clicked and it worked from time to time.

Indeed rear brake is what I used while waiting for the new part to arrive. Took 1 week. The rear isn't so sensitive to the touch so you really have to use it to get the light working. Almost as if it is pressure sensitive instead of a mechanical switch.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 05:11:59 AM »

Glad it's resolved.

The rear pedal sensor is definitely a pressure sensor and not a mechanical deflection switch.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

noyesknifer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 01:20:35 AM »

This morning the front brake sensor stopped working again, so I think I do have to go to the dealer.  This sensor should seriously be a safety recall for all SR/Fs because it causes the brake lights not to illuminate.
2019 Yamaha Niken
2021 Triumph Rocket 3R

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 01:36:47 AM »

If it affects more people, certainly.  Fortunately or unfortunately, it's just a standard part.

You should really never be using the front brake without the rear, though.  C'mon, tap the back.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »

You should really never be using the front brake without the rear, though.  C'mon, tap the back.

I can ride for miles and miles in stop and go traffic with my middle, ring and pinky fingers covering the front brake lever ready to squeeze.  But the contortion needed with the high SR/F peg location to cover the rear brake with my foot is only sustainable for a short period.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 11:00:03 PM »

But the contortion needed with the high SR/F peg location to cover the rear brake with my foot is only sustainable for a short period.
That's not good and seriously sounds like an ergonomics problem!  Also, the rear brake is slightly easier to repair and otherwise takes less wear so you really want to use it as much as possible.

Also the msc instructor would not be happy ^-^ (tho from all my bicycling time I always cover the front brake, too.)

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1] 2