• April 25, 2024, 01:16:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Unofficial Manual submission - Front Brakes  (Read 730 times)

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
Unofficial Manual submission - Front Brakes
« on: November 09, 2019, 10:29:18 PM »

I have a submission to be added to the Unofficial Manual to do with the Front Brake Pad changing process for my 2018 DS (so all models under the 2015+ S Platform section).

The situation is that I was changing the front pads which were slightly worn and a stainless steel spring plate fell out of the caliper when I dropped the right pad after not getting the left one all the way seated. It was not mentioned in the manual so I started making records. In addition there were some stainless steel side plates on the outsides of the stock pads which I had no idea whether to move over to the new pads or discard.

In the process of making inquiries on the Facebook group, I was told or found the following...

===

1. The stock Front pads may be fitted with stainless steel shims that are held onto the outside of the pads by four small folded clips. These are called anti-squeal shims and should be carefully removed, cleaned and transferred to the new pads in the same orientation. A light coating of copper anti-seize grease to both the outside of the pads themselves and the anti-squeal shims is advised.

2. When removing lightly worn pads without taking the caliper off first it is possible to dislodge a stainless steel rectangular spring from the top of the caliper body. If this drops out, the caliper must be removed according to normal instructions to refit the spring. It is an anti-rattle spring and exerts a small amount of spring pressure on the top surface of the pads to prevent rattling when riding on rough surfaces.

Take the opportunity to clean the spring. Hold the caliper in your hand with the rotor slot facing up towards you and the pad locking bolt at the front. You will see the caliper body has three sections of metal between the two sides. The loose spring only fits on the rear-most one. Note the two small folded lugs on the spring and place those face down into the body of the caliper. There is also another steel clip at the very back which is usually more firmly attached. It has a small lip visible on it (indicated in picture) and the back edge of the loose anti-rattle clip should go under this lip.

Replace the pair of pads and hold them in position with the pad locking bolt. In this position, the pads themselves hold the anti-rattle spring in place properly. You may now replace the caliper as per standard instructions (remembering the pad locking c-clip). Clean the rotor with IPA or brake cleaner and pump the front brake lever a fair few times to build back up the hydraulic pressure. Test braking in a safe area through low to mid speed controlled stops before progressing to mid to high speed emergency stops.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:31:46 PM by DanielCoffey »

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial Manual submission - Front Brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 04:56:30 AM »

Thanks for the information. I just changed my front pads and don't recall seeing the anti-squeal shims that you show. The brake pads on my 2018S squealed loudly from new and I had coated the backs of the pads with anti-squeal compound several times and never noticed those shims. The new EBC pads don't have them that I recall and they are completely quiet - so far.

The anti-rattle spring stayed in the top of the caliper when I changed the pads.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 05:25:58 AM »

On my FX, the primary anti-rattle spring falls right out when the pads are removed. It must be held in place while putting the pads in. The spring has an arrow embossed on it, which I believe is meant to point up.

The thin metal shims may need to be transferred from the old pads to the new pads. It's trivially easy to throw them out by accident. It might be that they don't perform much of a function anyway.

I used anti-squeal grease on the outside of the shims. That didn't help at all, and made a huge greasy mess replacing the pads next time around. I have not tried it under the shims but maybe that's the ticket.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 05:34:32 AM »

Okay, I'll add this to my near-term queue, thanks.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

calamarichris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 08:14:08 AM »

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this! I've been very frustrated because I kept trying to mount that anti-rattle clip to the center section instead of the rear-most. Doing it that was caused the clip to rub noisily on the outer edge of the brake rotor and damaged the clip. Fortunately, I bought a spare.

Been a PITA to finally find this info (and it's not easily found in the unofficial manual.) Such a relief to finally find this. THANK YOU!
2018 SR14.4 (in January 2018)
2015 BMW F800GT
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R
2000 Kawasaki W650 (2)
Pages: [1]