• April 25, 2024, 09:21:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: uggs...I was so happy with this bike until 12,000 miles,  (Read 1104 times)

Moe

• View Profile
uggs...I was so happy with this bike until 12,000 miles,
« on: November 05, 2019, 06:35:13 PM »

I have 2017 zero Ds that has been in the shop for over a month, it rides fine, but now has charging and electrical problems. they replaced the battery board, I had it home for the weekend, but it didn't work, now its been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting, meanwhile gas prices suck and im driving my fj which is supposed to be in semi retirement.  I am now Leary of my bikes future, just want a bike that lasts. the dealer thinks its the battery itself, but sounds like zero will exhaust all options before doing that. thanks for listening and let me vent a little....anyone else have charging issues, I do live in AZ, and I wonder if its just the heat that fudges it up,

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: uggs...I was so happy with this bike until 12,000 miles,
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 07:03:35 PM »

The charger is by far the weakest point on the bikes.
I hope they can get you fixed up and back on the road ASAP.
My 13 needed a new battery and it sucked having to wait for it but after it was done it has been fine.
Just hit 32,000 miles.
Good luck

NoMoreIdeas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 10:02:24 PM »

Did they try charging it with an offboard charger only?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 01:38:13 AM »

That sounds pretty frustrating, and unfortunately there are some bikes that get out to owners and then back in the shop for a while until Zero works something out with the bike, or to replace something major.

It very well could be the heat - generally if you park a Zero in the sun in a place like Arizona, it seems like problems crop up. Certainly, Zero advises against leaving a bike out in the sun (without a shade, something to keep the rays off of the battery casing and probably the frame which would conduct heat into components like the charger).

I also know that Zero is trying hard to fix the delay in this cycle. But it might not be solved for you, specifically. Best of luck and try to stay calm with the technicians so they don't get defensive. Usually Zero tries to make up for this as best they can.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 06:45:10 AM »

I have 2017 zero Ds that has been in the shop for over a month, it rides fine, but now has charging and electrical problems. they replaced the battery board, I had it home for the weekend, but it didn't work, now its been 3 weeks and I'm still waiting, meanwhile gas prices suck and im driving my fj which is supposed to be in semi retirement.  I am now Leary of my bikes future, just want a bike that lasts. the dealer thinks its the battery itself, but sounds like zero will exhaust all options before doing that. thanks for listening and let me vent a little....anyone else have charging issues, I do live in AZ, and I wonder if its just the heat that fudges it up,
Is the firmware up to date? I think one of the updates  was for how the BMS works, perhaps allows better charging in the heat.

I had a problem with my 2017 DS when it was new. It as extra hot an wouldn't charge or run. I played around with the BMS reset buttons and it all came back to normal.  However, it also probably cooled off a lot by then.

BTW, I am headed for AZ right now  in my RV.  I have my Zero DS on a cycle ramp on the hitch. First stop will be Payson, then down to Case Geande, Tucson and Organ Pipe Cactus Nat'l Monument. I probably wont be back home (Auburn, CA or Reno NV) until springtime!

I avoid  Phoenix  on all these trips even if I have to go hundreds of miles out of the way to do so!

By any chance did you buy your Zero DS in the shop  (On Any Moto) in Tucson?  I have been there a few times over the years.

-Don-  (near RidgeCrest, CA)

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 06:19:33 AM »

> Is the firmware up to date? I think one of the updates  was for how the BMS works, perhaps allows better charging in the heat.

My last visit to Zero HQ was to address bike-not-onboard-charging issue, and they said they fixed it with a firmware update.  That was probably 18 months ago, a 2014 SR, so it may not apply to you, or it may be a small clue.
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/
Pages: [1]