• October 02, 2024, 02:27:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: I guess it’s official...bigger batteries  (Read 4077 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: I guess it’s official...bigger batteries
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2019, 11:48:57 PM »

As mentioned previously in this thread, it appears they are using the redesigned battery casing and system from the Moto E race program. Energica claims the new battery is both smaller and lighter - presumably referring to the fully assembled module.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/motogp/motoe-energica-ego-corsa/

"Initially the Ego Corsa MotoE bike started out as an Ego road bike that was stripped of its road equipment," Testoni explains. "However, we quickly changed the suspension, chassis, battery, brakes, electronics and in the end the only part that remains the same is the electric motor and the chassis’ geometry.

"The MotoE bike’s battery is both smaller and lighter than the road bike’s but contains almost double the energy due to new cell technology while the electronics are also updated. In a few months of concentrated development on the Ego Corsa we achieved what would have taken us years of road testing."

"The MotoE bike can already exceed 167mph, weighs less than 260kg and its battery has almost double the capacity of the current production bike with just over 20kWh," he said, "And every year the lap times have to reduce to show MotoGP fans we are advancing.

"This technology will come back to the Ego road bike and in 2020 we will unveil a completely new platform of electric sportsbike based on the MotoE bike’s technology. We are aiming for a range of 125-miles irrespective of use with similar torque levels to the current bike."

A&R also had a chance to examine the Corsa bike.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/energica-ego-corsa-photos/

Peering beneath the fairings, I could spot the absence of the grey cast aluminum battery housing, which has given way to a black plastic enclosure. I would wager 50 lbs is lost in this change alone. Of note though, the PMAC motor retains its cast aluminum enclosure.

A total bike 5% weight loss would be ~15 kg.

I can’t find any information on who supplies their battery cells - only a “Far East” manufacturer (presumably meaning S Korea or China).
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2019, 05:02:50 AM »

I visited the Calmoto shop today and the place was dead. It looked like half of the employees were laid off and the rest apparently are moving to their shop in Livermore, CA. The Energica's will be relocated to that shop and will be sold there. I am not sure what their plan is for servicing the bikes. Right now they are being trucked to the nearby Energica maintenance facility for servicing and repairs. The Livermore location is about an hour drive away - if the traffic isn't too bad (which it usually is).  Attached is a photo of their showroom. The shop closes for good on November 15 and will be leased out to two different businesses, a martial arts gym and a Hertz car maintenance facility. (Or so I was told.)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2019, 06:34:13 AM »

The Energica's will be relocated to that shop and will be sold there. I am not sure what their plan is for servicing the bikes. Right now they are being trucked to the nearby Energica maintenance facility for servicing and repairs. The Livermore location is about an hour drive away - if the traffic isn't too bad (which it usually is).
Lawrence from the Redwood City shop picks up the bikes in a van with his helper. They picked mine up from Auburn and brought it back to Redwood City and back to me in Auburn. They told me they have even gone to southern CA to pick up a bike. So Livermore will be nothing for them.

BTW, have you ever been to the Energica shop in Redwood City to take a look?

Energica Dealer and Service Center
815 Sweeney Avenue Suite A (Bay A)
Redwood City, CA 94063
tel. 415 243 6355

-Don- NewBerry, CA (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

ultratoad

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »

Very sad....  I bought my first BMW from Calmoto years ago....  Really liked them....  Always treated me right....  Wish the Livermore shop and Energica the very best....

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »

I have never been to the Energica service center in Redwood City. Maybe some day I will stop by.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »

Lawrence from the Redwood City shop picks up the bikes in a van with his helper.

Don, The 'helper' you're referring to was the GM (Mr. Stefano Benatti).  He's been the GM here in the U.S. since about Aug 2017.
We are extremely lucky to have both Mr. Stefano Benatti and Mr. Laurence Kuykendall (Marketing Director) looking after us. 

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »

Don, The 'helper' you're referring to was the GM (Mr. Stefano Benatti).  He's been the GM here in the U.S. since about Aug 2017.
We are extremely lucky to have both Mr. Stefano Benatti and Mr. Laurence Kuykendall (Marketing Director) looking after us.
Oh, I sure guessed that  incorrectly!

-Don-  Newberry Springs, CA (RV with Zero DS on  ramp on the hitch).
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2019, 12:09:48 PM »

Oh, I sure guessed that  incorrectly!

-Don-  Newberry Springs, CA (RV with Zero DS on  ramp on the hitch).

Agreed! Laurence has been a great help with getting me to know the ins and outs of my bike!
2020 Energia Ego

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2019, 01:38:24 PM »

The amount of stuff the people in the Redwood City location get done is shocking.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2019, 10:36:04 PM »

I'm always amazed at the level of customer service exhibited by Energica USA. Kudos to Laurence and Stefano as well as the rest of the staff in Redwood City.

I hope they're able to keep up the outstanding customer service. I'm definitely reassured on a regular basis that I made the right call in going with the EsseEsse9.

Looking forward/not looking forward to trading up to the EsseEsse9+ (or maybe even the Ribelle). ;)
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2019, 02:57:49 AM »

Any pricing yet?

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2019, 03:18:47 AM »

I've read unconfirmed reports that the pricing on the 21kwh battery bikes will be the same as last year while the 13kwh battery bikes will see a decrease in pricing. I think this was based on information from the European site but I'm not tech savvy enough to spoof my IP. The European site redirects me to the US configurator so all I see are this year's bikes and pricing. Maybe someone can figure out how to get the European pricing.

All that being said, I don't think there's any guarantee the US bikes won't see a price increase. I think we're going to have to wait and see what the US site says when it's updated for the new models.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2019, 05:03:51 AM »

Here's Energica's official PR page for the EICMA / 2020 announcement:
https://www.energicamotor.com/13083-eicma-2019-my2020/

This firms up some range and power delivery claims, but not much else.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2019, 11:54:37 AM »

"This new battery will be present on all the 2020 models,"

I guess my 2020 model doesn't count as being a part of "all".

-Don-  Payson, AZ (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2019, 12:00:44 PM »

"This new battery will be present on all the 2020 models,"

I guess my 2020 model doesn't count as being a part of "all".

-Don-  Payson, AZ (RV)

“The Ego ed Eva EsseEsse9 models will be available in two versions: Ego ed Eva EsseEsse9 with the 13.4 kWh battery and Ego+ and Eva EsseEsse9+ with a 21.5 kWh power unit.”

Seems like they’re still planning to offer two battery sizes.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7