• October 02, 2024, 02:27:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: I guess it’s official...bigger batteries  (Read 4078 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: I guess it’s official...bigger batteries
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:50 AM »

How do you vary by 50lbs?  I know options have weight, but... That's like another 3.6KW battery pack.

Aren't they required to tell you the weight for shipping and stuff?  Like, you need to know this to put it on a trailer safely.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2019, 09:23:41 AM »

RideApart says this battery has a lithium polymer (LiPo) chemistry.

The charging C-rate limit might relate to the volume of cells and how well they can be managed given the chemistry and its attendant properties. I still think this battery involves trade offs that they’re minimizing or hiding.

They’re using a real pack of production cells that must have a data sheet somewhere and related engineering knowledge. Lightning also claimed (officially or not) that their large pack involved LiPo cells. Maybe they’re chasing the same part of the engineering parameter manifold, but now we have two companies in the same year claiming a leap in pack size on an electric motorcycle they will put into production, without explaining how they did it even in vague terms, or indicating a supplier.

This isn’t a proud announcement, is what I’m inferring. It feels dodgy.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »

Energica says they're using the cells they used in their race bikes.

So it's not as dicey as a company that hasn't produced more than a handful of street bikes.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2019, 02:24:10 PM »

The charging C-rate limit might relate to the volume of cells and how well they can be managed given the chemistry and its attendant properties. I still think this battery involves trade offs that they’re minimizing or hiding.

They’re using a real pack of production cells that must have a data sheet somewhere and related engineering knowledge. Lightning also claimed (officially or not) that their large pack involved LiPo cells. Maybe they’re chasing the same part of the engineering parameter manifold, but now we have two companies in the same year claiming a leap in pack size on an electric motorcycle they will put into production, without explaining how they did it even in vague terms, or indicating a supplier.

I'm not a battery expert by any means, but IIUC, LiPo isn't a chemistry -- it just means the electrolyte is a polymer rather than a liquid, and can still be implemented in various chemistries. Typically, LiPo is used to make pouch-type cells -- making it easier to make constrained-form-factor batteries. My understanding that all else being equal, a LiPo battery will be lighter, but potentially more dangerous (no hard walls around each cell, and the cells are larger).

As for the announcement part, by various accounts they've been using this battery for the past 1-2 years in racing, and are now bringing it into street bikes. I hope they've done sufficient testing, and that there are no short- or long-term cooling issues, both for riding and DC charging. It'll be interesting to see what the cooling system's like, compared to the current bikes.
Hopefully they'll release more info soon.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »

Energica have been racing (read: abusing), these new batteries in the MotoE for more than a year, they know the importance of thermal management. Energica are apparently keeping the current charge speed (OK I also would have hoped for ~37kW), but given the fact that Energica have increased the CCS speed of the old battery pack twice (18kW->22kW->26kW), shows me that this company is cautious with over-specifying and do test things before they implement. That they don't show the specs of their cells I can imagine, they are a small company and have put much effort in composing the battery. With their patents they have already shown the pictures of their old cells.   

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:41:26 PM by SBK74 »
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2019, 08:49:43 PM »

Here is more news from Energica. Note that no weights are provided, other than saying that these bikes will be 5% lighter than the last models. But 5% lighter than what?   ::)
https://electricmotorcycles.news/energica-presents-at-eicma-their-new-my2020-models/

In other news: my "local" Energica dealer in Mountain View, CA, will be shutting down their shop on November 15 and moving their operations to their BMW and KTM dealership in Livermore, CA. That is too bad for me and likely many other of their customers in the Silicon Valley area. I have been buying motorcycles, parts and accessories, and having service performed at the Mountain View BMW (now called Calmoto) shop for the past 35 years.  I am going to be really sorry to see them close, especially as Livermore is a long way to travel for me, considering the amount of traffic on the freeways between here and there.  :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »

In other news: my "local" Energica dealer in Mountain View, CA, will be shutting down their shop on November 15 and moving their operations to their BMW and KTM dealership in Livermore, CA. That is too bad for me and likely many other of their customers in the Silicon Valley area.
A little better for me, since now they will deal with Energica  in Livermore, which is closer to Auburn. But  I would think they would sell more Energicas in Mt. View than Livermore. And Mtn. View is closer to their service center in Redwood City. IAC,  They need a lot more dealers than they have now.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2019, 10:43:22 PM »

Energica have been racing (read: abusing), these new batteries in the MotoE for more than a year, they know the importance of thermal management. Energica are apparently keeping the current charge speed (OK I also would have hoped for ~37kW), but given the fact that Energica have increased the CCS speed of the old battery pack twice (18kW->22kW->26kW), shows me that this company is cautious with over-specifying and do test things before they implement. That they don't show the specs of their cells I can imagine, they are a small company and have put much effort in composing the battery. With their patents they have already shown the pictures of their old cells.   

I know these things. (I should have said LiPo-based chemistry or something, but I don't know that there's a good shorthand there.)

If they've been using the cells for a while, why aren't they indicating any detail about it? That just means they've had more time to justify the decision but aren't telling us what that justification is. I mean, right now we know as little about this pack as about Lightning's pack that they've failed to deliver. Additionally, the battery pack is the single most expensive component of the bike, and probably the majority of its cost.

They don't need to show us datasheets or hard numbers to justify that decision, and I'm not asking for that, but it's easy for a company officer to prepare a blurb that explains the shape of what challenges they looked at and why they feel this is a good way forward. I think EV companies need to be on top of that when they claim they have a battery breakthrough.

Energica has proven they're satisfied with it for their track bikes, and I accept that easily. However, track usage does not *necessarily* imply good value to their customers. We're talking about duty cycles here and the servicing cost over more than three years.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:45:09 PM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2019, 11:37:45 PM »

Motor Cafe lost their lease and is still in limbo on moving, too.

Sure are losing alot of bike shops on the Peninsula.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2019, 11:45:02 PM »

In other news: my "local" Energica dealer in Mountain View, CA, will be shutting down their shop on November 15 and moving their operations to their BMW and KTM dealership in Livermore, CA. That is too bad for me and likely many other of their customers in the Silicon Valley area.
A little better for me, since now they will deal with Energica  in Livermore, which is closer to Auburn. But  I would think they would sell more Energicas in Mt. View than Livermore. And Mtn. View is closer to their service center in Redwood City. IAC,  They need a lot more dealers than they have now.

-Don-  Reno, NV
Even in their home country, they only have two dealers. Only two in the UK. Three in France. Germany has seven, but otherwise looks like they're spread pretty thin at this point.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2019, 04:42:21 AM »

Motor Cafe lost their lease and is still in limbo on moving, too.

Sure are losing alot of bike shops on the Peninsula.

-Crissa

I figure that it is the value of land around here. Who can keep a motorcycle shop open when the land is worth millions of dollars?  And if you have a lease on the property, good luck renewing it for any amount that a motorcycle dealership can afford.  In Calmoto's case, their property is located in a prime business location, near the freeway and on a major street. The shop owner owns the building and land.  I have no doubt he will be getting a really good price selling his land to Google, Apple, Stanford University, or a big condo developer. (Condos are springing up like mushrooms in the area.)

I might add that he gave his customers (and perhaps his employees) just about a week notice that the shop was closing.  :(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:43:53 AM by Richard230 »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2019, 06:11:18 AM »

The shop owner owns the building and land.
That  means he is so rich that he probably runs his motorcycle shop as a hobby. I hear the shop that sells Zeros in Reno  also has a ton of money. They bought out the old smaller shop and moved to a better location at least three times the size. That  still really means it's not worth much of anything compared to the shop in Mtn View.

-Don- (Near RidgeCrest, CA <RV trip with Zero DS>)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2019, 07:12:58 AM »

The shop owner owns the building and land.
That  means he is so rich that he probably runs his motorcycle shop as a hobby. I hear the shop that sells Zeros in Reno  also has a ton of money. They bought out the old smaller shop and moved to a better location at least three times the size. That  still really means it's not worth much of anything compared to the shop in Mtn View.

-Don- (Near RidgeCrest, CA <RV trip with Zero DS>)

He also owns the entire block of buildings where the Livermore shop is located.  The BMW dealership is located in one of the units in the very large building.  My understanding is that he leases out the other units.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2019, 10:40:50 AM »

We could use more condos, that's for sure.

The amount of storefront space that's empty is just obscene, honestly.  It's crazy that our land prices have to get to this level of crazy before someone will take the risk to develop it when they could just sit back on the Prop-13 laurels.

*sigh*

Anyhow, the San Jose BMW shop is nice.  Not quite as snazzy, but the staff is very polite.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7