• October 02, 2024, 04:30:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: I guess it’s official...bigger batteries  (Read 4082 times)

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: I guess it’s official...bigger batteries
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 12:18:22 AM »

Basically, yeah.

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 12:21:55 AM »

I'd like to hear what kind of trade-in offers some of us will get when we're interested. Energica's plan is to relieve us of the sting if we decide to trade up to models with the bigger battery, after all.
2020 Energia Ego

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 12:58:18 AM »

So now the charge to 80% is about 42 minutes? Which would be similar to SR/F premium (95% charged in 60 minutes), right? Though the range would still be about 25% more for the energica and 12kW is not so easy to get in the US from a single plug.
-Shayan

2023 Energica Ribelle RS

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 01:03:22 AM »

Energicas can currently accept up to 26kW from DC stations. The SR/F can accept 6kW from level 2 stations. If you spend an additional $2300 and are in the EU you can get a total of ~12kW from level 2 stations.

Energica's 21.5kWh battery will be 18.9kWh usable and they seem to use actual real numbers. The SR/F's 14.4kWh battery pack is ~11.63kWh usable. And the SS9 has a lower starting price. *shrug*

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 01:06:46 AM »

I'd like to hear what kind of trade-in offers some of us will get when we're interested. Energica's plan is to relieve us of the sting if we decide to trade up to models with the bigger battery, after all.

Same here. I definitely want to know what kind of options current owners will have. Upgrades and/or trade-ins. I did notice that they have keyless ignitions now so I'm beginning to wonder if any kind of battery/inverter upgrade will have to include the keyless ignition as well.

I think in either case it's going to be a pricey upgrade or we're going to take a hit on trade-ins no matter what. That being said, I'll probably be one of the first in line for one of the two options once they have EsseEsse9+'s available.

If I can get the larger battery, I'm getting rid of my Trophy since I don't tour anymore and 100+ freeway miles is plenty of range for me for both commuting and pleasure riding.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 02:24:25 AM »

Are we  using the word "nominal" incorrectly? I looked it up, and the first definition is "existing in name only", which jibes pretty well with how I've always seen and used it. Seems to me that by that definition, my battery (a 2016 battery pack in my 2014 SR) is "nominally" 14.4 kWh, but actually ~12.5 kWh.

Perhaps a new adjective would be better.... maybe "nameplate" and "actual" capacities? "Claimed"?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

HoodRichOG

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 02:38:09 AM »

Very, very tempting... when are prices going to be released?

Sklith

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 02:50:30 AM »

Are we  using the word "nominal" incorrectly? I looked it up, and the first definition is "existing in name only", which jibes pretty well with how I've always seen and used it. Seems to me that by that definition, my battery (a 2016 battery pack in my 2014 SR) is "nominally" 14.4 kWh, but actually ~12.5 kWh.

Perhaps a new adjective would be better.... maybe "nameplate" and "actual" capacities? "Claimed"?

Think of the terms as Gross and Net capacity. Gross is how much total kWh the cells in the battery have, and Net is how many you can pull out of the battery at the most. The lost capacity is hidden away to protect itself.
2020 Energia Ego

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 03:42:59 AM »

Very, very tempting... when are prices going to be released?
Hopefully today but might be tomorrow. If you’re looking at the Italian prices and doing conversions, remember that Italy has a 22% VAT. I’m expecting US prices to stay the same or change a tiny bit at most.

boardwalk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 07:44:34 AM »

I think of "nominal" as in rocketry: A value within normal and expected parameters. There are always safety margins in rocket if you're sane, and you leave safety margins (extra capacity) in a battery if you're sane (want your battery to last at all).

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »

Hmm, 11.6 is 80% of 14.4...
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »

...and I'm once again a bit miffed at the motorcycling press. They fell all over themselves covering the HD LiveWire "Launch" yet here you have a manufacturer with proven deliveries that announces what is the biggest game changer in electric motorcycles and the best I could find were pieces buried in EICMA coverage.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 10:37:45 PM »

Maybe?  They need to give more numbers, I think.  HD trucked their bikes around to give lots of rides and promo materials which doesn't seem to be within Energica's reach.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2019, 12:43:01 AM »

Think of the terms as Gross and Net capacity. Gross is how much total kWh the cells in the battery have, and Net is how many you can pull out of the battery at the most. The lost capacity is hidden away to protect itself.

Thanks for mansplaining that to this EE. Not the question I asked, though. I asked a question about the terminology we've been using...and I still think I'm correct. The word "nominal" refers to a name, not an actual thing. So my "14.4 kWh" battery doesn't actually have 14.4 kWh of capacity, that's just its name. Its true capacity is whatever it is.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 01:01:38 AM »

Thanks for mansplaining that to this EE. Not the question I asked, though. I asked a question about the terminology we've been using...and I still think I'm correct. The word "nominal" refers to a name, not an actual thing. So my "14.4 kWh" battery doesn't actually have 14.4 kWh of capacity, that's just its name. Its true capacity is whatever it is.

Your 14.4 is actually 11.628kWh
https://www.electric.motorcycles/post/how-oems-calculate-battery-capacity-and-why-it-s-not-totally-their-fault-they-are-wrong

edit- it should be noted that after that article was written we've done testing and it appears Energica's 'nominal' number listing is accurate. I did a 5%-->100% charge recently and it used 11.1kWH which is basically exactly what they claim.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:03:57 AM by MVetter »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7