• April 24, 2024, 08:50:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Performance difference between 7.2 and 14.4  (Read 1709 times)

TheRan

• View Profile
Performance difference between 7.2 and 14.4
« on: November 04, 2019, 04:31:38 AM »

In my quest to get a Zero all the dealers I've contacted have been sold out of 11kw models and won't have 2020 models in for another 6 to 8 weeks. I've managed to find one used bike but it's a 7.2 where as I was planning on getting a 14.4, however I've realised that the range of a 7.2 would actually be enough for me and saving nearly £4k would be nice (along with having a lighter bike with some added storage).

This has got me thinking about how the two capacities would differ in performance, something that I haven't really seen discussed anywhere. My understanding is that torque is more important when it comes to acceleration and power is going to make a higher top speed possible. Both capacities have almost the same amount of torque (just a 3Nm advantage to the 14.4) however the 7.2 is significantly lighter so my guess would be that it accelerates a bit quicker. The 14.4 does have an 11kW advantage in power so I would expect a higher top speed, however both are electronically limited to the same top speed so no difference there. Of course if there was a steep incline or head wind that meant the 7.2 couldn't reach that top speed due to a lack of power then there would be a difference.

Does this seem like logical reasoning to anyone else? Anyone have any solid numbers to compare? Looking at zeroto60times.com seems to back up my thinking with most of the lower capacity models for the same year having slightly faster times listed (only 1 or 2 tenths of a second) and then the heavier Power Tank models being even slower still. The exception to this is the 2016 FX(S) with the 6.5 being a tad faster than the 3.3.

TEV

• View Profile
Re: Performance difference between 7.2 and 14.4
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 06:58:32 AM »

Better wait for the 14.4, you never know what the future brings  (regarding your commute/use) .
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »

The 7.2 is merely one half the 14.4.  That means it's lighter, but it does mean at the top end it produces a little less volt-amps when pressed (hence the 3Nm difference at the motor).  The rest is the same in the 2019 and 2020 I believe.  Anything like a slope the heavier battery would be, well, heavier.  I'm not sure the power would be a difference there - the 7.2 (or in my case, 8.5) jaunts up the hill with the same ease.  It's very hilly here where the Zeros are from ^-^

If you can wait for and can handle the heavier battery, waiting makes sense.  But for most performance, they're the same.  There's a little difference in performance at full battery and the range is different - but they have the same charging capabilities per platform (except the SR/F Premium, which basically has an additional charger on board).

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 06:34:56 PM »

If you are planning on riding in cold weather, you'll see a performance difference.  For example, it was about 0 C this morning and the top speed was limited on my FXS 7.2 at 60% SOC.  You may see some power limiting with a 14.4 battery, but from what I understand it usually only at much lower SOC - closer to 30%, but it's hard to predict when this will occur with either model on any given day under seemingly similar conditions.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 08:20:17 PM »

...however I've realised that the range of a 7.2 would actually be enough for me....

Define "enough"?  If you think you'll use more than 80% for your commute, wait for the 14.4K
Zero FXS 2020

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 08:56:54 PM »

Hi welcome aboard TheRan.  A few quick points and then my advise or 2 cents.
If your looking at 2020 models then the 7.2 bikes are base S and DS bikes IOW smaller motors and controllers.  Zero is only offering the 14.4 battery on the SR and DSR, thus bigger and you can feel a sizeable power jump if the bike is set to full power.
The only drawback for the R bikes is the added up front cost and a higher insurance bill for the fact that in the ICE world an R means the bike will likely go over 150MPH even though the Zero is just 107 MPH.
In cold weather your range will drop 10-20% depending on how you ride.  That might put you on the edge for range on a 7.2 bike.  I don't know your distance.

If you have the means I would go 14.4.  The resale appeal for the 7.2 which is a niche of a niche of a niche is pretty low.
If you enjoy riding then you will want the extra range for sure as that lets the bike be a tool and a toy on the weekends.

For what it's worth I also suggest looking for used bikes that need to be shipped.  I used U Ship and got both my bikes for less than $350 (each) one was CT to GA.
I did a quick check on Cycle Trader and there is a 2017 SR in IL with a 13kWh battery and a charge tank (that's likely the slower 3kw charge tank but still a $2600 option new) for what a new 7.2 bike goes for.  The 2 year warranty will be gone or about gone but the battery is still covered till 2022.
Also note that the 2018-2020 SR and DSR are the same bikes with only different color options.

Good luck.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:02:43 PM »

BTW, my Zero dealer uses a 7.2 as their demo bike.  Perhaps because it's range limits the length of the demo ride and they are sure the rider will not be riding off into the sunset with their Zero.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 11:19:57 PM »

It's my impression the 2020s do not use different motors and controllers between the base and premium models in the S line anymore.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 11:45:34 PM »

If you have the means I would go 14.4.  The resale appeal for the 7.2 which is a niche of a niche of a niche is pretty low.
Unless it's somebody like me looking for a bike that is light enough to carry on a cycle ramp on a hitch. The  plain 7.2 is lighter, has more storage space, which is a very  handy utility bike when my RV is parked at an RV Park or whatever.

I will be on a RV trip with my Zero DS ZF 6.5 next week for a month or two.  I would not be able to take a heavier bike.  I have found my little DS 6.5 to be my most handy bike for practical stuff. But yeah, for play a longer range is a lot better.

If I were stuck with one or the other, I would prefer my  DS over my SR. I find the DS to be a lot more useful.

However, what could make it even better, would be a 14.4 bike  with a battery that is easy to remove and reinstall!   IOW, remove the battery and put it in my RV until I need to use the bike. That way the bike can be extra light to carry.

-Don-   Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DanielCoffey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 02:51:04 AM »

I have a 2018 DS 11Kw 7.2 and find my real world range is 60-65 miles UK A roads and a bit of town riding. The lighter weight was something I did consider when purchasing.

One more advantage of the 7.2 over the 14.4 is that you can use the sidewall of the storage caddy next to the battery to locate a Mennekes connector if you end up with belly pan chargers (such as DigiNow or similar equivalent). Alec at English Electric Motorcycle Company did the fitting for me.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 04:13:40 AM »

I've already put a deposit down on the 7.2. I didn't make this thread to help me make the decision (even if the 7.2 is slower it wouldn't bother me), I was just curious about how it all works.
...however I've realised that the range of a 7.2 would actually be enough for me....

Define "enough"?  If you think you'll use more than 80% for your commute, wait for the 14.4K
Well my daily commute to work is something like 3-4 miles there and back so no issue there. When I go out riding just for fun it's usually something like 20-40 miles, I'll probably ride more often and for longer with the Zero if it's as fun as I imagine but I still can't see me using up all the range. When I go to meets it's usually 40-50 miles, but it's not like I'm on the motorway doing 70mph all the way there and back so I can't see those being an issue either.

In my year of riding I've only ever been on one ride that I'm certain would be too far for the 7.2. Sure it was a fun ride and it will be a bit of a shame to miss a ride out like that in the future, but not enough to pay the extra £4k for something I might want (not need) to do once or twice a year.

I have a 2018 DS 11Kw 7.2 and find my real world range is 60-65 miles UK A roads and a bit of town riding. The lighter weight was something I did consider when purchasing.

One more advantage of the 7.2 over the 14.4 is that you can use the sidewall of the storage caddy next to the battery to locate a Mennekes connector if you end up with belly pan chargers (such as DigiNow or similar equivalent). Alec at English Electric Motorcycle Company did the fitting for me.
That's good to know, A and B roads and town riding are most of what I do. I hadn't even thought of using the space to carry a charger (still need to do some learning on those). I think most of the time I'll probably have my locks in one compartment and my jump starter in the lower one (not that I'll need it anymore, but it's always nice to help out someone else who's stranded).

If you are planning on riding in cold weather, you'll see a performance difference.  For example, it was about 0 C this morning and the top speed was limited on my FXS 7.2 at 60% SOC.  You may see some power limiting with a 14.4 battery, but from what I understand it usually only at much lower SOC - closer to 30%, but it's hard to predict when this will occur with either model on any given day under seemingly similar conditions.
In cold weather your range will drop 10-20% depending on how you ride.  That might put you on the edge for range on a 7.2 bike.  I don't know your distance.
I ride all year round, even in the snow, so it will get cold sometimes. That said I only do it if I have to and that's to get to work, which as mentioned isn't far at all.

If you enjoy riding then you will want the extra range for sure as that lets the bike be a tool and a toy on the weekends.
I'm not particularly worried about resale value, I've wanted a Zero since I first heard about them probably close to ten years ago and it's something I plan on keeping until it dies (or until I get a job that pays well enough to get an SR/F, at which point taking a loss on selling the DS won't be a big deal).

As for your other suggestions, due to licensing I can only ride an 11kw model so no R's. I have found a few used bikes but they've all been full power, the one I'm getting wasn't advertised but rather an ex-demo bike from one of the dealers I contacted (only 150 miles or so on it). It's £8.5k so I'm saving about £1.5k over buying new, £4.2k less than a new 14.4.

it does mean at the top end it produces a little less volt-amps when pressed (hence the 3Nm difference at the motor).
-Crissa
Do Zero quote the motor torque? I always assumed it was wheel torque, but then I don't really have a clue to what 100Nm would equate to in the real world when it comes to spinning a wheel. The 7.2 models are actually geared slightly lower at 18:90 versus 20:90 so wheel torque should actually be closer to equal if the specs are for the motor.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »

Sorry I overlooked the pound symbol from your OP.  These bikes seem to be a big hit across the pond and rightly so.
Enjoy it.  Cheers.

Oly2018ZeroS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 07:19:51 AM »

Hi,

I have had a Zero S 7.2 for almost a year and love it.
I must admit my range is limited to 55 miles when traveling in the 65 mph range.
More than 75 miles when in town and lower speeds.

If you need the range then go big, if you don't the 7.2 will work.
I have the charge tank and have used it on occasion. Have the side (2nd) battery storage unit and use it when it rains.

My two cents.
2018 Zero S 7.2
2014 HD Wide Glide
2015 Versys 1000 LY

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 08:02:39 AM »

Hi,

I have had a Zero S 7.2 for almost a year and love it.
I must admit my range is limited to 55 miles when traveling in the 65 mph range.
More than 75 miles when in town and lower speeds.

If you need the range then go big, if you don't the 7.2 will work.
I have the charge tank and have used it on occasion. Have the side (2nd) battery storage unit and use it when it rains.

My two cents.
I would expect you to get at least double the range at city speeds when compared to your range at 65 MPH.

However, I  have my doubts you can get 55 miles at 65 MPH. At 65 MHPH, I would expect you to get 45 miles at best, but perhaps near 100 mile range in slow city traffic with a good 7.2 KWh newer battery,.

That is if i is not  as cold as it is here, where my range is really poor on my 6.5 KWH battery, which I doubt is anything near the KWH capacity of when it was when new.

-Don-  Barstow, CA (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X