• April 26, 2024, 08:01:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FXS: Replaced my low beam with LED  (Read 1410 times)

ieism

• View Profile
FXS: Replaced my low beam with LED
« on: October 28, 2019, 09:10:30 PM »

So I've seen a few pics of people using a passive LED, but I wanted something a bit better. I've bought a set of Morimoto H3: 2Stroke 2.0 LED Headlight Bulbs to see if they would fit. Spoiler alert, they dont.  ;D

But the low beam is so weak, that I tried it anyway. This is a more expensive LED with a fan cooling it instead of the wire strands that I've seen used before.

You can see all the components below installed without the rubber cap on. I didn't want to wire the spade connectors on the bike to the wiring loom that came with the lights, so I removed the spades and soldered on the waterproof connector directly.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:14:20 PM by ieism »

ieism

• View Profile
Re: FXS: Replaced my low beam with LED
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:11:21 PM »

more pics

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:11:51 PM »

I also replaced the daylight driving lights with w5w LEDS from Philips. These are actually a little too bright for my taste, and it would be better if the lights were slightly lower in the housing so I don't recommend that for now untill I find a better fitting bulb. You can see the white fitting on the small bulb above, that sticks out into the reflector housing a bit so a slightly smaller bulb would have been better.

Installed the Morimoto, it's too long for the standard rubber cap. It does actually fit, but just. And because the light gets pretty hot I prefered to just cut the back of the rubber cap completely open to allow the fan to do its' job. I'm not sure how waterproof this is, but the light itself seems fairly robust  and it's hidden behind the light and under the plastic a bit so it should be fine. If it fails I'll just replace the bulb and 3d print a more waterproof rubber cap that is larger and vented. The driver is ziptied to the housing, that's waterproof anyway so no problems there.

You can see how bright the low beam and daylight riding lights are, make sure you adjust the beam to the correct height to avoid blinding people. Don't be that guy with the aftermarked LED that is annoying to other road users, it can be done properly with the right bulb and adjustment.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:24:47 PM by ieism »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:56:43 PM »

Oh, this is a nice write-up with photos. May I have your permission to use the photos on the unofficial manual? Even without it, I'll make an entry paraphrasing/summarizing and linking back to this explanation.

Thanks!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »

Sure, the whole point is so others can learn what works and what doesn't. Your manual was very helpfull for me when researching what bike to get.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 01:03:23 AM »

Thanks; I ask permission in public so that I have an evidence trail in case someone comes after the site.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 01:35:00 AM »

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:57:34 AM by BamBam »
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 04:07:27 AM »

Bit of a funny story....when I replaced my bulb with an LED version a couple of years ago, I ordered one with a little blower in the base, figuring it would run cooler and last longer. But after I'd ordered it, it dawned on me that the blower, being a moving part, was certain to fail first, then the lamp would overheat and fail.

Guess what happened last week? Yep, it failed. I opened it up and blower wasn't running.

I replaced it with a fanless bulb:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Z7RHYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which I figure has no fan to fail, so it may run a bit warmer, but hopefully not so hot as to reduce the lifespan of the LEDs. I love the new bulb's color, pattern and brightness. We shall see how long it lasts.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 03:23:00 AM »

That's interesting Doug, I believe that's exactly the same LED bulb in link I provided except that it's packaged as one bulb the labeled for motorcycles.  The two pack is a much better deal if you can use both of them.  I really like everything about the bulb.  I have had it installed for about a year now without any issues.  I highly recommend it.
Currently Owned Bikes:

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 04:13:44 AM »

Good to hear you've got some mileage on yours with no problems. I saw the two-pack, and sure, the price per each is less, but I really have no use for a second one. I thought about saving one as a spare, but when/if this one goes, I'll want to take another look at what's available before I buy again.

The motorcycle light still isn't as good as the lights on my 2015 RAV4 hybrid, which (unless I'm mistaken) doesn't use LED bulbs. I think the design of the reflector is really more important than the bulb itself...the distribution on my RAV puts the light exactly where you need it, with a sharp dividing line separating the light down low from the dark above when the low beams are on. Less wasted light equals more light where you want it.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 11:20:04 PM »

I replaced it with a fanless bulb:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Z7RHYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which I figure has no fan to fail, so it may run a bit warmer, but hopefully not so hot as to reduce the lifespan of the LEDs. I love the new bulb's color, pattern and brightness. We shall see how long it lasts.

Does the FXS series take H4 bulbs?  The unofficial manual says something about the "X" series taking H3, and I didn't know if that mean FX.
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Aftermarket#Headlamp
Zero FXS 2020

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 12:07:44 AM »

The X platform means FX and FXS bikes, which takes a single intensity/element H4 bulb.  The other bikes use a dual intensity H4 bulb.
Currently Owned Bikes:

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 12:32:30 AM »

OK thanks. I was thinking of going with the Xenon's instead like in this thread.
https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6664.0

I just need to determine which H4 one is for the FX series.  I'm not sure how to tell if its single intensity.
Zero FXS 2020

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 01:14:34 AM »

My apologies, I made a typo.  I meant to say the FX/FXS model takes an H3 bulb, which is single intensity.  Sorry for the confusion. However, it doesn't appear that Sealight makes an H3 bulb.

For those that are interested in an H4 LED bulb.  The Sealight website has a twin pack on sale for $40, which is a bargain.
Currently Owned Bikes:

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 01:54:39 AM »

OK I'll look for H3 style bulbs.  Perhaps Sylvania makes one . Thanks!
Zero FXS 2020
Pages: [1] 2