• March 28, 2024, 08:32:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charger failure indication on SR/F  (Read 427 times)

cutedrake

• View Profile
    • My personal website
Charger failure indication on SR/F
« on: October 28, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »

Hi all, is there a particular indication from the dashboard that at least one of both chargers on the SR/F (premium) is not working? Or is it possible that no indication appears though one of them is not working?
Happy owner of a Zero SR/F

siai47

• View Profile
Re: Charger failure indication on SR/F
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 07:25:33 PM »

Yes.  During charging you have a charging screen that shows both KW and DC charge current going to the batteries.  If both read zero after you start charging both chargers have failed.  If it reads half of normal (i.e. around 2.9 KW) then one of the two have failed.  When you plug in the charge cable, you should hear the traction battery contactor close followed by the relay in your EVSE.  Then your EVSE should indicate that power is being supplied to the motorcycle.  If the chargers have both failed after a short time out period you will hear the EVSE and motorcycle contactors open and everything shuts down.  You can also bring up the data screen on the dash and open the error section to see what error codes you have.  You may find one or two related to this.  Before you go much further you should try another EVSE to make sure the motorcycle is the problem.

If you are having charger problems you would be the third person on this forum that has had them on the SR/F.  I had both chargers fail and a member in Spain (I believe) had a charger failure.  BTW--did the circuit breaker trip that feeds your EVSE? 
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »

I would think the easiest way is when hooked up to a Level 2 charger with enough power is looking at the charging level (usually lower right hand side of display if my memory is right).  If you are up over 3kW then you have both charging.  If you are lower than that, you only have one charging.  If you at at 0 then probably you have neither charging.  As an example, my home charger usually tops out at 5.7kW.  That means that both are charging to the top capacity of the Level 2 station.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

cutedrake

• View Profile
    • My personal website
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »

In fact I'm asking this because I'm charging at work on a EVSE which has domestic+22kW type 2 sockets. It happened that it charged sometimes at 22kW, but generally it's at 3kW. I did not try another EVSE since august. Maybe I should. However, my question was to be more precise, are there any errors that could be found in the SR/F diagnosis sofware?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 09:51:11 PM »

The error codes section of the 2020 SR/F manual lists:
36 Region Invalid Fault: Charger region uninitialized. (Must be an OEM/dealer-only config)
37 Charger Not Connected: CAN Communication Fault.
38 Charger Fault: Disconnect Charging Pistol, wait for 2 minutes then retry.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ben.m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 10:07:08 PM »

In fact I'm asking this because I'm charging at work on a EVSE which has domestic+22kW type 2 sockets. It happened that it charged sometimes at 22kW, but generally it's at 3kW. I did not try another EVSE since august. Maybe I should. However, my question was to be more precise, are there any errors that could be found in the SR/F diagnosis sofware?

It's just not possible to charge at 22kW ! The maximum is 6 without CT.

cutedrake

• View Profile
    • My personal website
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 12:17:01 AM »

I know. Just want to say this is a 22kw outlet, so I should charge at the max speed of 6kw.
BrianTrice,you mean that if one charge is faulty there should be these errors?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 01:02:23 AM »

I am only quoting Zero's owner manual that anyone can download (you should), and do not have insider knowledge or practical experience with the SR/F to determine how these error codes work behaviorally.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 02:11:25 AM »

Try another EVSE in a different location then the one you normally use.  I am not sure because I live in the US and our Zero's regardless of the number of chargers installed all pull power from the same leg of the power line.  I believe the larger European EVSE's are three phase and if you have multiple chargers, each one is connected to a different phase of the circuit.  It's possible, there is a dead phase in the EVSE that would allow one charger of the two to operate.  Or I could be wrong about all of this.  ::)   
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)
Pages: [1]