• April 26, 2024, 01:21:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Touring on the SR/F  (Read 372 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Touring on the SR/F
« on: October 24, 2019, 08:23:39 PM »

This is a short and entertaining story. But I wasn't able to locate part 3 where the author returns home from her trip to Montreal:  ???
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/364388/zero-chronicles-charging-time-electric-motorcycle/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

geoffnix

• View Profile
Re: Touring on the SR/F
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 10:11:44 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I did a 3 day, 850 mile tour in California on my SR/F.  From San Francisco south through Santa Cruz, through Carmel Valley Road, then east to the Sierra foothills through Fresno, up rt. 49 to Placerville, then back to SF.

I used to own a 2013 Zero S, and used to rent gas bikes for long weekend trips like this.  So I was really curious to see how the SR/F would manage. I had to plan my stops carefully, and spent about equal times riding and charging during the day.  I planned for about 80 miles between stops.  I rode conservatively on the freeways, but I opened it up and rode aggressively (for me, anyways) on the twistys.

Overall, it was a blast to ride on the twisty mountain roads! It's certainly less convenient than a gas bike at times, but it's manageable, and I certainly felt like I got enough riding in each day.  I love the smoothness of this bike!

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 10:56:23 PM »

I opened it up and rode aggressively (for me, anyways) on the twistys.
;D

I can't wait to get mine on the Tail of the Dragon.  I do not expect to race through but I want to apply throttle through the turn and the Tail give much opportunity for that.

Possibly even more, I want to try longer distance rides.  I am in Cleveland and riding down to New Orleans means I can ride the Natchez Trace, a glorious ride.

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 11:38:26 PM »

Oh man, I'd LOVE to take a bike down the Natchez Trace!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 12:08:20 AM »

I wish journalists would try this journeys with a little planning or preparation (and I know this one in particular didn't because we were leaving (hopefully helpful) Facebook comments while they were going and getting responses).

Some of the pain here is just not practicing using a charger, not setting up charging network cards or accounts, and not planning an itinerary using a convenient network.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 01:12:07 AM »

Oh man, I'd LOVE to take a bike down the Natchez Trace!

I had been on sections of it before but I rode it bottom to top on my Goldwing in 2011.  I made a blog about the trip here. http://2011fallbiketrip.blogspot.com/
It presents newest post first so read it from the start (Trip Plan) to the end (Outta Here!) to follow chronologically.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 01:14:37 AM by vinceherman »
Pages: [1]