• March 29, 2024, 02:35:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SR/F strange noises?  (Read 1983 times)

pierluigic

• View Profile
SR/F strange noises?
« on: October 24, 2019, 03:40:57 AM »

Hi everybody! I’ve just received my SR/f yesterday (it’s really wonderful). I’ve noticed some strange noises.. one of it occurs sometimes during the driving it’s like a “clack” it seems from the motor and I also feel like an hit under the seat. The second noise is from the front break when I press it first time during a driving. Last strage sound (but I think it’s normal) during the acceleration from Zero for the first meters.. it seems like a louder motor noise.
Anyone with the same feelings?
Here the video I’ve made for my unboxing ;) https://youtu.be/AyhXwp6MtRc
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:44:57 AM by pierluigic »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: SR/F strange noises?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »

Zeros make louder noise at low speed, they also have a noise for when you're pushing them.  Is this different than other SR/Fs?  They sound slightly different than S or X platform bikes.

Brakes sometimes make a noise as they re-align from disuse or vibration; electrics often don't wear as much as conventional since we use regen, so the surface oxidizes.  These make different sounds.  Over time or temperature, rotors can warp, too, which makes these sounds happen more often.  It's not usually a big deal unless you find the sound annoying.

The clack, though, I don't know what that could be.  That one I'd ask about.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »

The growl on the belt/motor is normal.  I've found my drive train to be much quieter at 4K miles than it was when I got it. The front brake click is also normal.  From what I understand the rotors are mounted with a little slop to allow them to expand/contract with temp changes.  Due to this, they slip forward or backward a bit the first time you apply them in a new direction.

I agree with Crissa that the "clack" does not sound right.  I'd have the dealer check that one out.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

TireFryer426

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 07:33:35 PM »

Yup, front rotors are a 'floating' disc to allow them space to expand/contract.  So they should be pretty resistant to warping.
When you hit the front brake the 'clack' is the rotors settling.  Completely normal.

Can't speak to the clack while driving.  I never noticed that.

Bike does make a bit of noise accelerating.  The belt growl will be a lot more pronounced while it breaks in.  It does get quieter after a few hundred miles.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »

One thing you can do to reduce noises coming from the belt is to set its tension on the low side of the range given in the user's manual.

The factory and most dealers crank the tension to the max and that will produce additional noises .
I know because I  reduced the tension on mine and saw a significant difference

If you set it to the lower end of the scale, just remember to check often in case as things settle down during  brake in, the belt won't  get too loose.

Or you can just wait about 1k miles and the noise should get better as you break it in.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 02:41:44 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »

Wash the belt when new.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 12:54:50 AM »

I concur generally about lower tension being a good idea. Also check the alignment.

Washing the belt feels a little tricky to me, but it's probably okay. My tendency or preference is to use a soft brush to clean the teeth on the sprocket and on the belt. I don't think the belt getting wet is a problem per se, but the way one might spray water might risk something else having water enter in the wrong way.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gstrub

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 01:18:16 AM »

My bet was very noisy for a while. Zero recommended some CRC Dry silicone spray, now it’s silent:)

pierluigic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 02:36:55 AM »

Thanks to everyone!

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »

My bet was very noisy for a while. Zero recommended some CRC Dry silicone spray, now it’s silent:)

This is great news!
I think the little noise remaining on my belt would be gone with this spray.
Did a search on "CRC Dry silicone spray" but got multiple hits with somewhat different products and I would hate to get the wrong one.

Since the one you are using has been tested, would you mind posting the exact name on the can or the SKU number from the bar code?
This way I know I am getting the correct one.  A picture would do too, if you prefer.

Thanks!
2020 Zero SR/F

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »

My Motor can make some strange noises in quick acceleration from zero also. Depends on weather and drive mode.
On braking I also got that klak noise in the front from time to time. No longer noticing it now but I guess it's still there.
Belt can also whine when wet

That first noise you describe I can't place and haven't heard it on mine. That I would check. Did you get the 1000km service already? Make sure to mention it there.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

pierluigic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 01:21:19 PM »

Thank you!

No, at moment stilll 800km....

A question please: could you use the app by remote (no bluetooth) for his totality when the moto is parked and switched off without charging? It seems I can just see the last position recorded...

Best

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »

If you swipe up you get 4 fields. Soc, charging or not, connected or not and remaining charge time. The rest of the app can't be used in that mode.
--- Belgium ---

pierluigic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »

Thank for the reply! I know it but can’t see any date if the moto is switched off. all number is zero or grey for example in the last one..

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 05:10:42 PM »

Ah yes I get to see actual values. Is your bike maybe parked inside with very bad reception? Use cellular network for that service.
--- Belgium ---
Pages: [1] 2