• April 27, 2024, 12:08:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Connecting to the SR/F 12 volt accessory socket  (Read 1151 times)

andrewcsp

• View Profile
Connecting to the SR/F 12 volt accessory socket
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:47:43 AM »

I'm aware that the SR/F has a couple of 12 volt accessory sockets.

I have an old Garmin mount which would usually be wired up directly to my petrol powered bike battery. One of these mounts, with crimped "o" terminals: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/pn/010-12110-00#overview

Does anybody know how I'd go about fitting this to the 12 volt sockets Zero suggests I use for powering accessories? Is an adapter needed?

thanks!
Andrew

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting to the SR/F 12 volt accessory socket
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 02:44:51 AM »

You find the 12v wire behind the accessory sock and splice this new one in.

Splicing depends in how much slack and room and angle and preference of splice device.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 03:38:39 AM »

You find the 12v wire behind the accessory sock and splice this new one in.

Splicing depends in how much slack and room and angle and preference of splice device.

-Crissa

Why are you giving advice on a SR/F, when you own a 2014 Zero S, that is a completely different animal?
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 04:09:43 AM »

Why are you giving advice on a SR/F, when you own a 2014 Zero S, that is a completely different animal?
A) It's not a different animal, it's a motorcycle, and it uses 12v for the lights and accessories because those already exist.
B) This is the same as doing it on a car or a computer.  Or even a house!

Adding to a circuit is pretty simple - once you find the circuit you want to piggyback to, you splice in there.  Red to red, black to black.  (You don't want to connect black to the common ground (the frame) because then other systems might route through your splice as electricity takes the shortest route.  Especially on an electric vehicle (or a house).  Let the previously existing common grounds do their work.)

Sure, if someone knows what kind of open plugs the SR/F is using, that would be even better.  But like a preference in splicing, that comes down to tools and preference at hand.  I have rather liked the heat-shrink-solder types of late.  When done right, they're more resistant to corrosion and vibration than clips.  That and SAE clips is what I use on my 100v solar set for camping (and Burning Man).

-Crissa
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:16:53 AM by Crissa »
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 05:30:36 AM »

The connector on the SR/F is the same as some of the earlier Zero motorcycles.  The dealer had a lighter socket style kit for a non SR/F bike that mounted to the handlebar clamp.  Although the mount didn't work, the actual connector mated to the connector in the SR/F harness located under the "tank" on the left front side of the bike.  I drilled a hole in the storage compartment to mount the socket and plugged in the connector.  Everything worked out fine.  The accessory connectors are switched and only operate with the DC-DC converter in operation.  There is no usable 12v unswitched power as the aux battery is so small that it doesn't have the capacity to run anything for long if the converter is off.
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

andrewcsp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 07:44:41 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions and comments!

Would I be correct in thinking that the SR/F uses SAE connectors for the accessory sockets? Would anybody be able to take a close up photo of this? I can’t solder, but may look at fitting an SAE connector to the end of the Garmin wiring. If that makes sense?

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 05:56:45 PM »

It doesn't use the SAE connector that most are familiar with which is the little molded two pin plug.  It uses a modern sealed connector similar to others on the bike.  It is the same connector as found on earlier Zero motorcycles.  I bought a kit for a lighter style socket that mounts in the area around the key switch on a non SR/F Zero.  The mount didn't fit, but the connector did.  At that point you can mount the socket where ever you want or cut it off and splice your desired device to the harness.  I wouldn't cut the motorcycle harness for the cost of the Zero accessory (they don't offer a pigtail).

My search for the 12 v connector only yielded the one located near the front of the "tank" by the key switch.  It is tagged as to what it is.  I never spotted the one that is supposed to be located near the back of the power pack on the left side of the bike.  However I did find the one I wanted to use.
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 12:32:02 AM »

Locked old thread and linking to newer discussion: SAE connector on SR/F