• March 29, 2024, 01:58:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fork deflectors and efficiency?  (Read 450 times)

shayan

• View Profile
Fork deflectors and efficiency?
« on: October 21, 2019, 12:46:26 PM »

Have any of you tried installing fork deflectors on your Zero and found any gains in efficiency?
A fork deflector is supposed to redirect airflow around the legs, so logically it should improve efficiency.

Thoughts?

-Shayan
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Fork deflectors and efficiency?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »

Doubt it would be good for much.  The most unaerodynamic thing on the bike is your upper body...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:59:51 AM »

It is definitely true that a windscreen will yield more range improvement (10-15% for a good, well-positioned screen).

Fork deflectors could work a little, in principle. I’ve used wheel disc covers for about 3-5% range improvement and wouldn’t expect more benefit than that. But you’ll have to design or adapt some and test this yourself to know for sure.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

shayan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »

It is definitely true that a windscreen will yield more range improvement (10-15% for a good, well-positioned screen).

Fork deflectors could work a little, in principle. I’ve used wheel disc covers for about 3-5% range improvement and wouldn’t expect more benefit than that. But you’ll have to design or adapt some and test this yourself to know for sure.
Right i should try it out. I got a pair from http://buywitchdoctors.com/ that should've worked for my old Empulse TT, but never got to try it out on that.
Not sure if the same pair would work on my 2018 Zero S (as the forks on this have a smaller diameter). It could work if the fork hooks are small enough to fit.

Also i use a Puig Rafale windscreen and i've positioned it low enough that when i tuck in fully the air goes just above the helmet. Seen efficiency gains for sure, but havent measured. I'll report back if i get to try the deflectors.

Doubt it would be good for much.  The most unaerodynamic thing on the bike is your upper body...
Would it help if it also deflects around the battery box and not just the legs?
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank
Pages: [1]