• September 22, 2024, 11:39:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 12v tap for electric heated gear...  (Read 1030 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
12v tap for electric heated gear...
« on: October 19, 2019, 01:34:44 AM »

Curious what 12v tap folks are using for things like Gerbing's heated gear (specifically gloves in my case). Is there an official tap we can use or do I need to tap at my own risk? I haven't found anything in the owner's manual other than the 5v USB outlets which won't power my electric gloves.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: 12v tap for electric heated gear...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 01:48:28 AM »

Curious what 12v tap folks are using for things like Gerbing's heated gear (specifically gloves in my case). Is there an official tap we can use or do I need to tap at my own risk? I haven't found anything in the owner's manual other than the 5v USB outlets which won't power my electric gloves.
The only reasonable way to get to 12.7 VDC (as measured) on the  SS9 that I have found is to tap into the two wires below the USB port.  From there, I used something like one of these. So now I have four USB ports as well as a 12 volt port an a 12 volt meter.

The exact one I purchased is no longer available. It was smaller and had a switch on top. So look around for whatever you think may fit, if you wish to do it the same way I did.

The exact one I purchased is shown on the right here. The only one on that page that shows a cigarette. If you click on it, it says NLA.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:58:52 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 01:50:09 AM »

You can use the 12V source that powers the usb. I used a splitter for the automotive connector before the usb for my SP connect wireless charger, but you can also tap from the connector in the rubber cover under the usb.

Edit: DonTom was quicker
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »

I just ordered a pair of the Gerbing 7v battery operated gloves. I'll post here on how they perform during my daily commute once they arrive. They claim anywhere from 2-8 hours per charge depending on the heat settings. If it works well, it's an option for our bikes that won't require tapping into the bike's power.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »

I just ordered a pair of the Gerbing 7v battery operated gloves. I'll post here on how they perform during my daily commute once they arrive. They claim anywhere from 2-8 hours per charge depending on the heat settings. If it works well, it's an option for our bikes that won't require tapping into the bike's power.
Doesn't your bike have the heated hand grips?

Anyway, I have the Snow Deer gloves. They work quite well even when turned off. They are very well insulated. They work better than most winter motorcycle gloves even when off.

BTW, it's best to turn them on a minute or so before you put them on your hands. Then you can really feel the heat. But if really cold, don't expect them to feel warm while riding, but hands will not get cold.

Battery life (7.4 volts, 2.2 AH battery per glove),  on a charge isn't great on the highest setting. And the other two settings don't help much. They take a lot longer to recharge than you may expect.

They work fine bit don't expect a lot of heat for long from those small batteries. And best to carry a couple of charged up spare batteries.

If you're using both those gloves and  your heated grips, I am sure they will work very well.

I have the 12 volts on my Energica for other stuff, such as my Garrnin GPS or to operate a small tire pump in case I get a flat.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 12:24:20 AM »

Yep, I do have the heated grips which are fine for my palms but without more wind protection, the back of my hands start to get really cold. I will definitely use these Gerbings in tandem with my heated grips...heat for both the back of my hands and the palms.

I only need the batteries to last about an hour in the mornings since the ride home usually isn't/won't be as cold as the ride into work in the morning. Even if I do find that I need them for the evening ride home, I can always pick up a second charger for the office and charge up the glove batteries during my work day.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 06:23:51 AM »

I only need the batteries to last about an hour in the mornings since the ride home usually isn't/won't be as cold as the ride into work in the morning. Even if I do find that I need them for the evening ride home, I can always pick up a second charger for the office and charge up the glove batteries during my work day.
I could not find a spare charger for mine with the same dual connectors, so perhaps Snow Deer modifies them. It's easy to find the charger alone, but not with the same connectors. I will have to modify a 7.2 V charger if I want another. Or buy anther set of gloves. But they have little use in Auburn. Doesn't usually get that cold there in Auburn. But Reno, well I have ridden in the 20's a few times. But only when dry. But when it's that cold, I prefer the TTSE. It has the heated seat and heated grips. And is wired for my heated vest (with gloves).

-Don-  (near RidgeCrest, CA)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 06:19:42 AM »

12V is also available from the OBD-II under the "tank" area on the left
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 12:22:34 AM »

Also if you're on an older model, like me, you have a spare fuse where normally it would power traction control. You can add in the spare fuse to the empty slot and then tap into those lines. For my heated grips I made a splitter into the USB line, though.
Pages: [1]