• April 25, 2024, 05:53:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Odd loss of power on my SR/F  (Read 909 times)

vinceherman

• View Profile
Odd loss of power on my SR/F
« on: October 16, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »

I was riding my SR/F home last night.  Interstate speed and had just completed a lane change and was cancelling my turn signals.
My brain was already in left field because I was trying not to look at the controls or display while cancelling the turn signal and my winter riding gloves remove a lot of tactile feedback.
The bike lost power.

Duuuuuhhhh What?!?
I looked down at the display and saw a high throttle error.
Neurons fire at my typical slow pace.
Close the throttle.
Open the throttle.
YAY!!  Power!!

I was probably only coasting for a second but it was enough time for Adrenalin to kick in and make rational analysis of the situation difficult.
What went wrong?
My first thoughts were centered around my fumbling attempts at the no-look turn signal cancel.
But there is nothing on that side that should cancel power.
My right hand was firmly established on the throttle, no where near the cutoff switch.

Kick stand?  I guess there were a few bumps changing lanes.  Could the kick stand have wiggled over the bumps and triggered a momentary shutoff, which came back and then saw a high throttle so applied no power and just presented the high throttle error?

P.S. Please Zero, put in an auto-cancel.  After X time AND Y distance, cancel the turn signal.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
Re: Odd loss of power on my SR/F
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 06:49:16 PM »

I know a couple of us have had this happen, for me once, accelerating at about 50 miles per hour getting onto a secondary road.  I'd say in my case it was less than a second loss of power, but I sure noticed it and got the high-throttle-warning error.  That was around 1500 miles and I have not seen it again (at 4000 miles yesterday).

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

TireFryer426

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »

I had it happen once, too.  I don't remember the exact situation, but I don't think I bumped the run switch or anything. 
Same deal, though.  Let the throttle return to zero and then it was fine.

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »

Just had this happen to me.
Bike is only 162 miles old. I had just come off a motorway using cruise control.
Following a line of vehicles and suddenly no power. Glance down, 'High Throttle Error' displayed on screen - I missed the error code it gave as I was too busy trying to work out what to do.
Like the rest of you, I throttled to zero and accelerated again and it was fine.
Easy fix but not particularly enjoyable..  I was running in Eco mode, so when throttle died the regen kicked in so it really started slowing me down rather quickly - not ideal with traffic lined up behind you  :o

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone :)
2022 Zero SR/F Premium

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »

Funny, this occurred only the one time for me.  I did not see it again in 7000k miles (yet).  Hopefully it's the same for you! 

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 03:06:54 AM »

Get the logs for the event and send them to Zero with your comments and questions.

Right now, that's your best bet to learn something from this rather than asking other folks who are just as inexperienced in diagnosing the bike's behavior.

PS there is an auto-cancel, Zero even boasts it. It just turns off way later than most people want normally, because it's designed conservatively to pass NHTSA testing with minimal effort on Zero's part.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:49:39 AM »

4300 km over here on a Premium SR/F. I have had this "Code 1: High throttle" loss of power about three times, two of which over the last couple of weeks and after the first service done at 2100 km. I hope that this will be fixed with a firmware update as it has to be a false alarm. Not a big deal since so rare and quickly self-healing. Everything else is going very well.
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125

AutoE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 04:16:08 AM »

I was riding my SR/F home last night.  Interstate speed and had just completed a lane change and was cancelling my turn signals.
My brain was already in left field because I was trying not to look at the controls or display while cancelling the turn signal and my winter riding gloves remove a lot of tactile feedback.
The bike lost power.

Duuuuuhhhh What?!?
I looked down at the display and saw a high throttle error.
Neurons fire at my typical slow pace.
Close the throttle.
Open the throttle.
YAY!!  Power!!

I was probably only coasting for a second but it was enough time for Adrenalin to kick in and make rational analysis of the situation difficult.
What went wrong?
My first thoughts were centered around my fumbling attempts at the no-look turn signal cancel.
But there is nothing on that side that should cancel power.
My right hand was firmly established on the throttle, no where near the cutoff switch.

Kick stand?  I guess there were a few bumps changing lanes.  Could the kick stand have wiggled over the bumps and triggered a momentary shutoff, which came back and then saw a high throttle so applied no power and just presented the high throttle error?

P.S. Please Zero, put in an auto-cancel.  After X time AND Y distance, cancel the turn signal.

VinceHerman please send us the logs to: zerologs@autoelectric.co.il    We've heard repeatedly of these faults/defects and our actively looking into them.
Pages: [1]