• May 02, 2024, 04:11:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What Zero should work on for the 2021 models ?  (Read 3758 times)

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
What Zero should work on for the 2021 models ?
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:30:02 AM »

We all agree that SRF aside, the 2020 models offer nothing new. So lets discuss what would make you buy a new 2021 model.
For me, sticking to easy fixes:
   - i will stay with FXS models - light, powerful, super easy to park vs heavier models
   - would enjoy more torque and more range
   - stronger headlight (especially in full light mode)
   - somewhere to store rain pants+cable
   - somewhere to lock an helmet
   - ability to set maximum speed down to where regulations limit you (50 km/h)
   - higher max speed (highways are up tu 130 km/h so 150 would be good)
   - a clock that synchronizes with internet through the that for easier tuning
   - keep increasing service and take care of older models owners
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

domingo3

• View Profile
Re: What Zero should work on for the 2021 models ?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »

Other things still on my list:

Poor man's traction control (limiting wheelspin)
Ability to program all 3 modes
Variable Regen instead of on/off

That being said, I'm somewhat glad to see signs of maturity in the models.
It would honestly take a lot to get me to buy something so soon. I typically hold my bikes for several years.
Side note, my 2018 FXS goes 89 mph (143 kph).
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 07:51:07 PM »

I'm probably approaching new-bike time to replace my 2014 SR, and all that stuff would be nice, but the thing that would move me away from Zero and toward Energica is level 3 charging. I won't buy another EV without level 3 (preferably CCS).
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:15:33 PM »

What I ask for every year: a softer seat.

But what Zero probably really needs to work on is dropping their new bike retail prices if they want to grow their market.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »

First off 2021 models?  Too soon!  LOL   :)

But I'll play same as every year.
I keep thinking they will make that FXSR like that rode at Pike's Peak.  It might need a couple more KWs of battery to counter the increased power though.
Maybe a much beefier FX with more rough off road capability.
As always drop the "R" in the name and make the current SR and DSR 14 kWh the only option as an S and DS.
I'd put the 75-7 motor in all the older models if it can be modified to fit the X bikes.  Simple one motor in higher volume.
By streamlining the fleet hopefully the price could drop a grand or so per model.

The CCS would need a whole new battery voltage setup.  I just don't know when that would happen.  At the crazy cost of CCS charging at this
point I'm not on my knees begging for it. 
To me the cell C rate has to go way up so we could fully charge in 10-15 minutes for true convenience for touring.

The SRF has USB ports for phone charging now let us use them for firmware updates.  No more over the air failure to upgrade or timing out or any of that.
It's not cool or covenant if it doesn't work.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:22:32 PM by NEW2elec »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 08:26:09 PM »

I, too, think it’s time that Zero addressed level 3 charging. The SR/F charging modules are good, but have topped out what level 2 can provide.

I think the new platform (SR/F aka FST) should have a new model that actually supports anything but street fighter stance. The platform is too valuable to waste on a niche market (my partner does not feel safe on the SR/F seat.)

I am definitely in favor of hardware support for a fairing by making at least a real cockpit area. Zero bikes are seriously flawed by making it “effortless” to go fast while all it does is waste massive amounts of energy. The rider experience here is disappointing.

The older bikes need more than incremental reliability updates. The DC converter and onboard charger are just holding the bikes back from being reliable as a baseline assumption off the dealer lot. SR/F charge modules back ported to the existing platforms seems like an obviously worthwhile investment to me.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »

As someone who lives in the mountains, a true variable regen maybe with some sort of ultracapacitors to catch every last milliamp.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:54:46 PM »

Maybe some advertising? Everytime I go to a race or bike show, nobody has a clue that electric motorcycles are even a thing. And these are people that are involved in motorcycling! When I tell them it's a Zero, they're like whaaaaaa?

no_chrome_polishing_here

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 12:14:09 AM »

Small, incremental tech developments that I would love to see as a daily commuter type:

-Separate Control for Regen!  If losing a transmission means freeing up two paws, then why not give one of them something to do?
-Heated gear integration!  Capitalize on the fact that Zero's are one of the few lightweight machines that actually have the excess electrical capacity for a full set of heated gear options. Make it easy to plug them in.
-Lose the ancient Rosso II's and fit Michelin Power RS from the factory.

Marketing adventure that I would love to participate in:
-Sponsor Motogymkana events in major cities with Zero demo bikes.  KTM did this with 390 dukes and it looked super fun.

Backwards kits that I would pay money for:
1 - Rear brake locks when the kickstand is down.  The hand brake thing is ridiculous.
2 - High torque belt/gear option (I don't need a 95 mph max cruise - bring it down to 80 and give me more mechanical advantage off the line)
I would quickly pay $300 for either of these things.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 12:40:59 AM »

First off 2021 models?  Too soon!  LOL   :)The CCS would need a whole new battery voltage setup.  I just don't know when that would happen.  At the crazy cost of CCS charging at this
point I'm not on my knees begging for it. 
Don't forget, CCS charging is not stuck with CCS. You may still use J-1772, which is usually (if not always)  free here in the Reno area.

Even on the road, I have used J-1772 because  sometimes the CCS is too fast. Such as  if I want to stop at a restaurant for an hour or so. With CCS, I have choices. I can charge first then go eat in the restaurant or just connect a J1772 and go. But of course we won't always have this choice as not every place has both types of chargers nearby..

With my Energica, I sometimes feel like I only have two charging choices, either too fast (25 KW)  or too slow (3 KW)  <g>.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 12:44:12 AM »

The CCS would need a whole new battery voltage setup.

Granted. That's why they need to get moving on it -- it's already too late, by the time they get something to market.

I just don't know when that would happen.

Later and later, the longer they put off doing it.

At the crazy cost of CCS charging at this point I'm not on my knees begging for it.

It is expensive, but I wouldn't use it very often. It's there when I need it, so the bike can do longer rides on the occasion when I decide to, even if I have to pay a bit more (right now) for it. And the prices will come down.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 01:26:16 AM »

The CCS would need a whole new battery voltage setup.
Which means the entire bike must be redesigned to use 300 VDC instead of the 116.5 VDC.

That will be a major change, but a very important one, IMO.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 01:30:13 AM »

I changed mine for 200$ - extra cushion, small backseat, nice carbon look. It has been done by the bike shop near me (not a Zero dealer) reusing the stock seat.

What I ask for every year: a softer seat.

But what Zero probably really needs to work on is dropping their new bike retail prices if they want to grow their market.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 01:31:52 AM »

Hey I get fast charging  > slow charging but like you just said you wouldn't use it very often. ;)
A battery redesign won't be cheap.  Let Harley and Energica be test rabbits for the long term
effects on the battery from fast charging in the real world. 
Both of them have limited or at least less than a fully optioned Zero for the AC charging speed. 
When Nikki from Transport Evolved tested the Esse that was what she complained about the most. 
If the DC option was down or nowhere near, your screwed.
At 3 kWs you looking at 3-4 hours charging.  If your not going past a DC charger a 200 mile one way trip will be about 7.5 hours.

There could be a whole new battery tech by the time CCS really starts gearing up.  I still prefer the idea of 400 miles range and no charging
till I get there.  :)

Oh and softer seat +1

Moto7575

• City rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 01:34:18 AM »

Problem with kits : you loose insurance protection in case of accident. In Europe that's fine - public healthcare pays everything. But in the US...

Small, incremental tech developments that I would love to see as a daily commuter type:

-Separate Control for Regen!  If losing a transmission means freeing up two paws, then why not give one of them something to do?
-Heated gear integration!  Capitalize on the fact that Zero's are one of the few lightweight machines that actually have the excess electrical capacity for a full set of heated gear options. Make it easy to plug them in.
-Lose the ancient Rosso II's and fit Michelin Power RS from the factory.

Marketing adventure that I would love to participate in:
-Sponsor Motogymkana events in major cities with Zero demo bikes.  KTM did this with 390 dukes and it looked super fun.

Backwards kits that I would pay money for:
1 - Rear brake locks when the kickstand is down.  The hand brake thing is ridiculous.
2 - High torque belt/gear option (I don't need a 95 mph max cruise - bring it down to 80 and give me more mechanical advantage off the line)
I would quickly pay $300 for either of these things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4