• April 25, 2024, 02:21:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FXS 3.6 Modularity?  (Read 1396 times)

joethelesser

• View Profile
FXS 3.6 Modularity?
« on: October 08, 2019, 08:27:10 PM »

Hey all!  First post.  =)

I'm looking at the FXS 3.6 modular with the extra battery option for the flexibility. 

I'm searching everywhere online, and it's alluded to many times that the batteries can be removed, and charged separately from the bike.
How does one perform that?  Is the cable with the bike?  Does that come with the extra battery option?  Do I need to homebrew something?

Regardless, super excited to finally get into EV bikes.  I live close to my workplace, so it will be a fantastic commuter.
- joseph

EDIT:  I think this has most of the answers I'm looking for
https://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=7915.0

Except the actual specifics.  Guess I'll head to the dealer and get acquainted!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:37:08 PM by joethelesser »

dfautheree

• View Profile
Re: FXS 3.6 Modularity?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 08:37:55 PM »

Check out https://hollywoodelectrics.com/collections/zero-accessories/products/deltaq-quick-charger-for-zero-motorcycles

"The Quick Charger can be used to charge power pack modules when removed from the motorcycle. The ZF2.8, ZF3.3 or ZF3.6 Power Pack Modules,
used with the Zero FX, Zero FXS and  Zero XU motorcycles, require the Power Pack Module Charging Adapter when the power packs are charged off-board."
Dave

2017 Zero DS ZF13.0+PT

joethelesser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:50:23 PM »

Ahh, excellent.  I think that's exactly what I was looking for.
Cheers Dave!

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »

Surely the FXS 3.6 modular with an extra battery is the FXS 7.2 modular?

I had the 2017 version (i.e. FXS 6.5) and it was great. The best thing about using it for short commutes is that there's no need to warm the engine up. I never needed to swap or charge my batteries off the bike. I did take them out once and they're a bit heavy and awkward to remove.
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 01:16:01 AM »

Surely the FXS 3.6 modular with an extra battery is the FXS 7.2 modular?

I had the 2017 version (i.e. FXS 6.5) and it was great. The best thing about using it for short commutes is that there's no need to warm the engine up. I never needed to swap or charge my batteries off the bike. I did take them out once and they're a bit heavy and awkward to remove.

Yes, FXS 3.6 modular with an extra battery is the FXS 7.2 modular.

I second the comment about the batteries being heavy and awkward.  I only took my batteries out a few times when I hauled the bike on a hitch carrier.  Even if I found a way to carry a hand truck with me, I wouldn't want to take out the batteries on a daily or even weekly basis. I think there are very limited use cases for the removable battery.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 02:28:39 AM »

I would just suggest a good little handcart for the weight and realize that it's a big metal object that weighs alot (how much, though?  50 lbs?)

I wouldn't think it's worse than carrying a bag of kitty litter or a case of soda home, would it?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 03:16:42 AM »

I would just suggest a good little handcart for the weight and realize that it's a big metal object that weighs alot (how much, though?  50 lbs?)

I wouldn't think it's worse than carrying a bag of kitty litter or a case of soda home, would it?

-Crissa

Each battery is about 42 pounds, so two batteries is like carrying 4-24 packs, except they are hard and have no handle.  You can absolutely lug them around. You'd just have to be a lot more motivated than me to do it routinely.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 03:29:26 AM »

Each battery is about 42 pounds, so two batteries is like carrying 4-24 packs ...
A case of soda is 21 pounds.  The bags of kitty-litter I buy are 50 lbs.  It's totally like bringing in the groceries.

There are handles you can get for desktop computers, I swear by them.  https://www.amazon.com/GearGrip-59133-Geargrip-Lite-Holder/dp/B0009JCUY6/ref=asc_df_B0009JCUY6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198095693473&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3029711425281476691&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032129&hvtargid=pla-349847564360&psc=1

And you can get foldable shopping carts or whatnot to turn it into a luggable.

I just don't want to discourage someone from doing this, even if it's inconvenient.  Open eyes and all.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TK421

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 04:39:59 AM »

First post for me, too! I have to remove both 2.8kWh batteries nearly every day for charging.

The grocery analogy is a good one - it's become a mindless, rote task to carry in the batteries. I live in an apartment, and there's really no other alternative BUT to have removable batteries. The moment you plug into a "commons-area" outlet, you'll hear the distant screeching noise of a landlord on an intercept course, lease violation letter in-hand. If you can use their pre-paid Level 2 station, different story. Otherwise, I don't see how I could make fixed batteries work in an apartment setting, besides renting an overpriced garage.

I charge at work, mostly. There's a dolly by the door which I use to wheel in both batteries. I carry a QuiQ charger in my backpack, and charge them one-at-a-time at my desk. The fruit of this labor is that I commute [nearly] for free, and have for the last year and a half. It ain't much, but it's honest work. All this to say, there are GOOD reasons to have removable batteries, besides the hot-swapping requirement for police, military, or dirt bike races.

One more thing I like about modular: it soothed the range anxiety I had when I was guessing whether 5.7kWh was enough. With a QuiQ charger in my backpack, I can pop them out and charge at my destination. Or worst case I pull off and have an early dinner next to one of my charging batteries, leaving an extra $0.50 in the tip. I've done it, and it sucks. But it sucks less than a tow truck.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:26:19 AM by TK421 »
2015 FX

joethelesser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 05:30:29 AM »

After a test ride, I was pretty much hooked.  I rarely go above 85mph anymore anyways.  The handlebars could be higher.
Looks like there's a number of good power and charge options, and South Florida has a ton of level 2 ev stations.

Have to look into some sort of J1772 solution, but there are plenty of those as well.
All in all, looks like I'm going to be a new Zero owner.  Hooray!

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 11:16:24 AM »

It was a test ride that got me hooked, too. I immediately knew I had to have it. Commuting has been a joy.
I recommend adding the tail rack and Givi E340 top box, which makes it very utilitarian.

You said you have a short commute -- how long is it, and is there any freeway involved? Do you run frequent errands?
Florida being flat and fast, if you require high speed and/or long distance you might be less happy.
Pages: [1]