• September 21, 2024, 09:00:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: SR/F Firmware update failure  (Read 4964 times)

NetPro

• View Profile
Re: SR/F Firmware update failure
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2019, 04:31:20 PM »

Just moments ago, tried the upgrade and as usual, it failed 5 minutes into it.
Cleared the error and for the heck of it, tried again and this time it "appears" to have finished OK as there were no errors like on all the other attempts.
My concern is, I was watching the console and this time too it finished in 5 minutes, like all the other times it failed, only this time it looks like it worked.
Since the notice says it can take up to 30 minutes, you are left wondering if it is normal for the upgrade to only take 5 minutes, specially since that was the point where it failed numerous times before.

Problem is, you can't tell what running version of the firmware you have to confirm if it actually did the upgrade or it just quit trying.
Zero, please, make the necessary changes to allow owners to see the firmware version actually running and end this guessing game: It is the right thing to do.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 04:34:32 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »

Just moments ago, tried the upgrade and as usual, it failed 5 minutes into it.
Cleared the error and for the heck of it, tried again and this time it "appears" to have finished OK as there were no errors like on all the other attempts.
My concern is, I was watching the console and this time too it finished in 5 minutes, like all the other times it failed, only this time it looks like it worked.
Since the notice says it can take up to 30 minutes, you are left wondering if it is normal for the upgrade to only take 5 minutes, specially since that was the point where it failed numerous times before.

Problem is, you can't tell what running version of the firmware you have to confirm if it actually did the upgrade or it just quit trying.
Zero, please, make the necessary changes to allow owners to see the firmware version actually running and end this guessing game: It is the right thing to do.

I have a feeling you just got the change to prevent further downloads until they fix the problem (it quit trying until they fix it).  In the past, I think I remember getting a banner the next time I turned the bike on telling me firmware had been successfully updated after it completed.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »

Earlier updates took a few tires for me.
After the announcement and the request for logs from those who experience failure, I ran the update last night.
No error.
It appears to have worked the first time.
I was wrong. I powered up this morning and it still wants to upgrade. Downloading logs now

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »

I have a feeling you just got the change to prevent further downloads until they fix the problem (it quit trying until they fix it).  In the past, I think I remember getting a banner the next time I turned the bike on telling me firmware had been successfully updated after it completed.

Steve

I am afraid you're right!
The "supposedly successful" update went too fast and I also remember seeing the banner in the past after a successful upgrade.
But my beef is, the last update I attempted did not show an error afterwards: It went just like the previous ones and then, a clean end (other that the lack of successful banner) and that is just poor coding.

An update from Zero right about now would be nice.
Typing a couple of sentences doesn't take a lot of time and go a long way to show the company is doing what it should addressing a problem affecting multiple SR/F owners.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:06:41 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2019, 07:06:12 PM »

Steve

I am afraid you're right!
The "supposedly successful" update went too fast and I also remember seeing the banner in the past after a successful upgrade.
But my beef is, the last update I attempted did not show an error afterwards: It went just like the previous ones and then, a clean end (other that the lack of successful banner) and that is just poor coding.

An update from Zero right about now would be nice.
Typing a couple of sentences doesn't take a lot of time and go a long way to show the company is doing what it should addressing a problem affecting multiple SR/F owners.
[/quote]

I did get a prompt response after uploading my logs to support, and a follow up once they identified the global problem.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2019, 07:55:47 PM »

Regarding the app's 30-minute update time comment: the last time I updated the firmware of my 2018 S, there were two "BMS" updates (according to the app) available. Watching the flashing screen it appeared to me that each of the two firmware updates took about 5 minutes to download from the internet and then the bike spent the next 20 minutes digesting the firmware information before shutting off.

Maybe there is some issue at the end of the download and the beginning of the installation process, or maybe the download is interrupted or timed-out before it is complete? I bet the SR/F firmware updates are larger than my two BMS updates.  And I wonder why my BMS updates were apparently broken up into two parts even though they both had the same BMS 35 update number, according to the app?  ???

Of course in my case it could have also been that someone typed in the wrong description in the app for the second download as there is also an MBB 27 revision that was not mentioned at the beginning of the download. Perhaps the app should have said that the downloads were BMS 35 and MBB 27 and that is why I am confused.  ???

Anyway, I hope Zero gets things figured out soon for you SR/F owners.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »

Yeah,

Hopefully they will get this straightened out soon.
I sure would hate to see this firmware problem dragging for a long time like the tank lid gap that they just now have indicated will fix in November.
That fiasco started around May and assuming they do indeed fix it in November, that is roughly 6 months, a bit long when you consider you paid top dollar for a high quality bike.

We shall see . . . .
2020 Zero SR/F

ben.m

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2019, 09:17:27 PM »

Here is a software problem, can be very fast (a few hours or a few days) ; the tank is an hardware problem, can be very long to fix !

About that, i saw a post of someone who said his dealer also fixed the seat problem, anyone else had this fixed ? (bad chinese work, staples, big gap)

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2019, 10:27:33 PM »

Here is a software problem, can be very fast (a few hours or a few days) ; the tank is an hardware problem, can be very long to fix !

About that, i saw a post of someone who said his dealer also fixed the seat problem, anyone else had this fixed ? (bad chinese work, staples, big gap)

I was not aware of any problems with the seat. Somehow I missed the thread on this if there is one.
I have not noticed anything wrong with the seat on mine so maybe only some units are affected as opposed to the tank lid issue that every bike suffers from.
2020 Zero SR/F

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2019, 11:36:20 PM »

I was not aware of any problems with the seat. Somehow I missed the thread on this if there is one.
I have not noticed anything wrong with the seat on mine so maybe only some units are affected as opposed to the tank lid issue that every bike suffers from.

I noticed the gap on mine, along with the staples and the cut fabric pieces showing between the front of the seat and the "tank".  Mines an older demo, perhaps the newer ones fixed that as well.  Not a big deal to me, but kind of ugly.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2019, 03:44:09 AM »

Regarding Zero software updates, my cell phone received a Zero app update yesterday and I gave it a try today.  If the update did anything I sure couldn't see it.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

noyesknifer

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2019, 05:56:50 AM »

Just got an email from Zero, it reads

Dear Zero SR/F Owner,

Effortless connection. It’s one of the cornerstones of the Zero SR/F motorcycle, and we’re aware of how important this feature is for our riders. We’ve been made aware of reports that the over-the-air updates are failing and, upon further investigation, found that our communications partner made an update that has temporarily broken the OTA update capability. They’ve identified the cause and believe they have a solution, which is currently being tested for release. We currently expect this testing and the release to be completed by Monday, October 7, 2019, and we will update you immediately if there are any changes to this timeline.

We apologize for this temporary interruption in service, and thank you for your patience while a correction is implemented.

Regards,

Aaron S. Cheatham
Director of Customer Experience
2020 Zero SR/F Standard (sold)
2019 Yamaha Niken
2021 Triumph Rocket 3R

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »

Well, just moments ago I was able to update the firmware successfully.
It looks like Zero finally got the bug fixed and that problem is now history. Thank you, everyone at Zero involved in fixing this!

It took 25 minuets and it displayed "firmware update success" afterwards.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:43:51 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »

That’s good news ! I’ll try it when I get home tonight
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2019, 02:52:06 AM »

One good thing you'll notice right away is how much faster the system "boots" when you turn the key.
Thank you Zero!!!
2020 Zero SR/F
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5