• May 02, 2024, 10:57:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: SR/F Firmware update failure  (Read 4556 times)

bergercurtis

• Motorcycle junkie, new to EV
    • View Profile
SR/F Firmware update failure
« on: September 14, 2019, 10:13:57 PM »

Anyone else with an SR/F having trouble doing firmware updates? OTA updates fail every time, trying to connect to the dealer software fails. We're up to date with the most recent version 33 of the Zero software. Anyone else experience anything similar?
-Curtis
2020 Zero SR/F Premium Seabright Blue
Licensed Zero Dealer in Colorado Springs

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: SR/F Firmware update failure
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 11:22:05 PM »

I don't have an SR/F, but I can tell you every single time I've flashed an update to my S, the app indicates a failure, but the software was successfully installed any way...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 12:17:29 AM »

It isn't going through and showing failed, it's staying on the older version of firmware.
-Curtis

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:19:19 AM »

There's no way for an owner to know which firmware is on the SR/F. The dash shows firmware version, but that is just the dash firmware and  not the firmware that gets updated
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:46:55 AM by Auriga »

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 01:11:18 AM »

I work for a Zero dealer and have the current Zero software on our diagnostic laptop. I was just hoping to hear if anyone else has experienced similar before hearing back from Zero customer/technical service. Waiting for a response from them, but I'm sure they won't disclose other customer experiences.
-Curtis

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 02:35:37 AM »

I also had the "update failure" bug on my SR/F. My Zero dealer updated the firmware manually at the 1000 km checkup, but it took some calls with Zero Netherlands. apparently the Zero software on their laptop had to be updated before the manual update would stick. I haven't had any update since then.
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 02:54:44 AM »

I don't have an SR/F, but I can tell you every single time I've flashed an update to my S, the app indicates a failure, but the software was successfully installed any way...

It is the same for me when updating the software of my 2018 S.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ben.m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 01:23:14 PM »

There is no way to know if there is an update or no ; as the new app don't show anything about it.

If you are a pro you shouldn't talk about that here, you must have a direct link with zero !

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 05:08:43 PM »

The SR/F doesn’t show updates in the app. It shows it on the dash screen.
The entire SR/F is different from previous models including the firmware upgrading

Having the very first firmware update fail every time and it keeps bugging (pun intended) you evey time you start the bike and can only be resolved by the dealer is not very confidence inspiring   :(

Other than that the bike is an absolute blast and big improvement over my previous 2018 SR
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:10:23 PM by remmie »
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »

The SR/F doesn’t show updates in the app. It shows it on the dash screen.
The entire SR/F is different from previous models including the firmware upgrading

Having the very first firmware update fail every time and it keeps bugging (pun intended) you evey time you start the bike and can only be resolved by the dealer is not very confidence inspiring   :(

Other than that the bike is an absolute blast and big improvement over my previous 2018 SR
So just some comments to this.  I feel that the SRF needs a back up way of updating the firmware rather than going to the dealer.  It seems, at least in my experience, the cellular connectivity is buggy to say the least and useless in some areas.  I can’t update my firmware at my house.  I have to bring the bike to an area where the cell signal is VERY strong and sit there while it updates for 1/2 hour in order for the update to take.  It would be so much easier to do it over WiFi or Bluetooth.

And it is a general consensus that the version number shown on the dash is for the dash software only, not the BMS or MBB.  Which in my opinion is kind of useless.  I tend to believe this for 2 reasons.  First, the number shown does not match the numbers for the BMS or MBB software at all.  Second is that after my bike updated (which I would only know because it stopped asking me) it was the same version number shown on the dash.  The older models used to be able to download the logs and put them into a program to read and the version numbers would show.  It seems the program doesn’t work with the SRF.

It seems the whole firmware update process is really poorly developed.  This is a shame with such a technologically advanced motorcycle.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

ben.m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »

OK so if i understand well the only way we can know about an update is in case of a poor connection so it fails and inform us ? 
I personally don't want automatic updates with no control. I don't want my bike refusing to go to work on a morning because of a buggy update.
I want at least the same system as before, and better improved with the details of what's in the update.

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 09:44:00 PM »

OK so if i understand well the only way we can know about an update is in case of a poor connection so it fails and inform us ? 
I personally don't want automatic updates with no control. I don't want my bike refusing to go to work on a morning because of a buggy update.
I want at least the same system as before, and better improved with the details of what's in the update.
On the SRF, it does ask you if you want to perform or postpone the update.  If you perform, you will be not able to use bike until complete.  If you postpone, you will be asked again, though some had found that they couldn’t get it to ask for an update when they wanted to.  I found that as soon as I was in a strong cell area, once I turned off bike and turned it back on, it would ask.

Now the annoying part is the only way i know it updated successfully is that it stops asking.
Currently own: 

ben.m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »

On the SRF, it does ask you if you want to perform or postpone the update.  If you perform, you will be not able to use bike until complete.  If you postpone, you will be asked again, though some had found that they couldn’t get it to ask for an update when they wanted to.  I found that as soon as I was in a strong cell area, once I turned off bike and turned it back on, it would ask.

Now the annoying part is the only way i know it updated successfully is that it stops asking.

The guys at Zero must work hard to find how they can un-improve each thing...
"OK guys, the update protocol is not so bad on the existing models, how can we do something worst for the new gen ?..."

bergercurtis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 03:03:05 AM »

Well, I updated to version 9 MBB and BMS today. Our diagnostic laptop with version 33.5 didn't want to connect to any bike (we did a customers SR/F firmware update today too) but the diagnostic desktop in the shop had Zero issues (bad pun, sorry).

Glad to have this resolved. Wondering why the laptop doesn't communicate though?
-Curtis

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 05:11:53 AM »

Well, I updated to version 9 MBB and BMS today. Our diagnostic laptop with version 33.5 didn't want to connect to any bike (we did a customers SR/F firmware update today too) but the diagnostic desktop in the shop had Zero issues (bad pun, sorry).

Glad to have this resolved. Wondering why the laptop doesn't communicate though?
Quick question for you.  When connecting the SRF to computer, is it through the storage tank area?  I will be dropping my bike off for comissioning and updating and wanted to know if I need to empty my storage box.
Currently own: 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5