• May 12, 2024, 04:07:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vince experiments with a windshield  (Read 1490 times)

vinceherman

• View Profile
Vince experiments with a windshield
« on: August 30, 2019, 01:29:13 AM »

My dealership (ClevelandMoto) called and said that my box and rack were in.  I drove the truck to pick them up and also got a windshield and ordered a spare belt.  I have a SF/R Premium

I decided to install the windshield first.  Easy-peasy.  It is a Maier handlebar mount.  It came with 2 sizes of clamps.  The larger of the 2 fit nicely just inboard of the last bend.  I had to nudge the existing zip ties closer to the grips to make room for the clamp under the wire bundle.  I had to flip the front brake reservoir to make room for the shield mount.  It looks to me like the reservoir line is not kinked or stressed any.

I played around with the locations of the clamps and the positioning of the shield a bit.  I think I will keep working to get them set how I want.  I loosened all the bolts, wiggled things to get the shield where I wanted and tightened up the bolts.  Many times.  Took it for a test ride and took the 6mm hex with me so I could adjust some more.  I did twist the throttle until the speedometer had more digits on the display than usual.  I wanted to know during the test ride whether it would hold or not.  It held.

My first impression was strange.  I kept riding much faster than I intended.  50mph on the surface streets felt like 35.  I had to roll off the throttle several times.  Getting on the highway I got up to 80 just trying to merge into traffic which was probably going 65.  Clearly I was using the wind pressure on my chest as part of my “feels like” speedometer.  It will take some miles to re-calibrate that.

So, much less wind on the chest.  Still a fair bit of wind on the helmet.  I stopped and adjusted the shield to be a bit less leaned back.  That reduced the blast of wind on the helmet.
Full disclosure – my last bike was a Goldwing with an oversized shield.  I know that this small universal windshield will not make my SR/F a Goldwing – but I was surprised how much more comfortable the ride is with this small piece of plastic.

Economy – My one commute to work is promising but I cannot trust a single trip.  I will report again when I have made several trips under a range of different conditions.  But the numbers for this one trip are indeed promising.  Starting at 90% SoC at home, my 35(ish) mile one-way commute typically has me arrive at work at about 49%.  This is 70 or 80% interstate at full highway speed in sport mode.  Today I got to work with 57% SoC remaining.  So typical days without the windshield consume 41% capacity.  Today with the windshield I consumed 33% capacity.  Today probably had a bit more congestion than is typical so this is not quite an apples to apples comparison.  Again, with more trips I will have a better assessment.

Tools required:
6mm hex for all the Meijer fasteners
10mm wrench and 5mm hex to flip the front brake reservoir
3mm hex to move my QuadLock phone mount

Pics

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:27:03 AM by Shadow »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Vince experiments with a windshield
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 01:51:39 AM »

That looks good, and your initial figures are promising but you’re right to average it out after a few different commutes, especially as weather changes.

How did you find the Maier windscreen? Is Zero endorsing it or did you work out which windscreen’s lower edge would match the SR/F headlamp area?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 01:54:17 AM »

FYI regarding the tendency to go faster with a windscreen, yes, this is common.

When I had a dustbin fairing on that turned the front of my DSR into not even a sharp bullet shape, I’d often go 80 mph on open highways if I wasn’t careful. It mattered that almost all the air would pass around my body so I was in a bubble. This is one reason I invested in a cramp buster and throttle lock, to keep my wrist in check.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 03:24:03 AM »

Phil at ClevelandMoto picked up a number of universal windshields and showed them all on the demo SR/F.
I do not know how to link to FB posts but it was on the ZMOG group on August 15.
On the Maier page they show 2 kits, one with a 7/8" clamp and one with a 1" clamp.
The kit I purchased had both clamps.  I could not get the 7/8" clamps to fit even after the last bend, right next to the brake hardware.
The 1" clamps did fit better but needed to be just inboard of the last bend for best fitment.  I have seen people use universal kits like these and they were plagued by slippage at higher road speed.
I do like the way the bottom edge fits.
I am not completely happy with the positions of the clamps.  While it was easy to get it all in place and usable, adjusting it has not given me the positioning I want.  I don't *need* things to be perfectly symmetrical, but I am not even close right now.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 03:32:44 AM »

That windshield sure looks exactly like the "Spitfire" windshield that I have on my Triumph.  Personally, I prefer the National Cycle Deflector Screen DX, which is the same size and shape but uses a large plastic knob to remove the shield in just a few seconds, instead of the wing nuts on Vince's windshield. I installed on on both my 2012 and 2014 Zeros.

Unfortunately, over time those fasteners on the Spitfire windshield will start rusting and the little bar you twist to remove the windshield that holds the windshield to the handlebar clamp may break off. At least that is what happened on my Spitfire shield.

I should add that the Deflector screen windshield uses 7/8" clamps, but they might have one that uses 1" clamps, which I believe is the size of H-D bars.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 03:36:32 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 03:59:49 PM »

Looks just like the Spitfire a friend gave me off his 80s Virago. I hate the look of a windscreen on the bike (especially this one) but it increases range at speed by about 15% on my SR. Also, my motor stays cooler (which I could previously overheat verrry quickly on my 20 mile commute even in 20F weather). Function over form for me in this case.

I wrapped my handlebars with silicone self-fusing tape to avoid the mounts scratching the handlebars and to provide extra grip. Avoid electrical tape at all costs (in case you didn't already know)

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »

My ride home last night was not typical.  I left later and there was very little traffic.  I set the cruise at 65 for most of the trip and was not following other traffic.
I left work with 90% SoC and got home with 52%.
When I leave on time with much traffic and congestion, I typically get home with anywhere from 48 to 56% left.
I am going to call last nights commute and orange among the apples.

My ride in to work this morning was more typical. 33 miles, mostly interstate, 80-85mph Full highway speed keeping up with traffic in sport mode.
I got to work with 56% remaining giving me 34% of capacity consumed.
Before the windshield I typically got to work with 49% remaining or 41% of capacity consumed.
My math says that in the 2 commutes in to work, I experienced a 17% improvement in economy.

I will continue to log all my trips and tabulate numbers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:05:31 PM by vinceherman »

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 03:23:28 AM »

Just waiting for your new numbers ... !  ;)
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »

Just waiting for your new numbers ... !  ;)
:-)
I was going to wait until I hit 5000 miles but that is taking a while.  Vacations (truck and camper) and the frequent need for 4 wheels to host lunch at work mean I have not been using the bike every day.  But I am over 4500 now - I might as well update the spreadsheets and see how I am doing.
Before I post, I am going to predict that my economy will NOT see as big an improvement as my first few trips suggested.  This is entirely because of my right hand.
Since adding the windshield, it is MUCH more comfortable keeping up with the higher speed traffic than before.  So rather than keeping it just a few over the speed limit in the middle lane of the freeway, I tend to ride in the left lane, keeping up with traffic there.
Anyway, that is my prediction.  I will update the spreadsheets at lunch (work, work, work) and post here.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 11:29:22 PM »

My numbers do support my guess - I am getting less miles per charge percent after the windscreen than before.
Before windscreen 1.045454545 miles per charge percent used.
After windscreen 0.92195122 miles per charge percent used.

This is based on the 23 charge cycles since my install and the 23 charge cycles before my install.
As I noted earlier, my riding has changed after the install.
Without the windshield, it is LOUD riding an full interstate speed.  I spent less time in the high speed lane and would often draft behind a box truck because there was less buffeting.
With the windshield there is less physical buffeting and less helmet noise.  Oh, my old HJC modular helmet still makes lots of noise, just less then it made before the install.

BTW, I am looking to buy a helmet with better low noise qualities. Schuberth and Shoei are both supposed to be good in this regard.  I just need to find a place to try them on.

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »

@vince Tried the Shoei Neotec II?
I bought it for my setup and went from a HJC full helmet, and the noise level is considerably lower.
Can recommend.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 12:48:28 AM »

@vince Tried the Shoei Neotec II?
I bought it for my setup and went from a HJC full helmet, and the noise level is considerably lower.
Can recommend.

Thanks for the info.
I have not tried either the Schuberth or the Shoei.
Both have good marks for low noise.
I have a FAT head (XXL in most helmets) so I need to try them on for fit.  I am slightly leaning towards the Shoei but if I can try on both I would take whichever is more comfortable and feels like it fits better.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 01:00:42 AM »

Thanks for the numbers, vince!

My bike came with a little windshield and I didn't know if it made a real difference, but your description is similar to mine (tho my sample is much smaller).

I worry that as I learn greater control my efficiency will drop merely because I'll spend more time at a higher speed ^-^

I have worn. Shoei and an HJC and the former is much quieter.

I'm really tempted by the Crosshelmet, tho.  The HUD and noise suppression is very attractive.  But the price and risk it won't get delivered...

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 06:03:41 AM »

Don't want to turn this into a helmet thread, but can highly recommend Shoei.  Been wearing them for decades.  Currently have a GT Air and love the integral sun screen and removable liner.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »

Measure your head circumference: as a round head the Neotec 2 was painful after 90 minutes, but the Schbuerth E1 is great.  http://www.lidpicker.com/
Pages: [1] 2