• September 27, 2024, 03:42:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Charging problem  (Read 1045 times)

DonTom

• View Profile
Charging problem
« on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:30 AM »

I just got to Reno. On the way, I fast charged half way. When I got here at my Reno house, I plugged in my Tesla Tap to the bike.

I have the exact same set up in Auburn, and there all was fine with the slow charge.

Here is Reno, I plug in my slow charge and the screen says "Internalizing [u]FAST[/u] charge. Then in about five seconds, it trips my Tesla station just as if I am really trying to charge at 20KW from it. Is my SS9 stuck in the fast charge mode? 

I do not have the Owner's manual here, I left it in Auburn, so I don't know if there is something I can do to fix this problem.

BTW, this means the bike is stuck here at low charge. Perhaps it will work on the 120 VAC charger that came with the bike, but it too is in Auburn. So the bike is stuck here until I figure how to charge it from my setup.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Re: Charging problem
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 02:43:21 AM »

I just looked at my manual but I didn’t see anything directly related. The mobile app allows you to adjust the current used to charge, maybe you can play around with that to see if a lower setting will allow you to charge it.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 03:04:19 AM »

I just looked at my manual but I didn’t see anything directly related. The mobile app allows you to adjust the current used to charge, maybe you can play around with that to see if a lower setting will allow you to charge it.
Okay, thanks, I will try that. I do not yet have the App, but I will see if I can get it downloaded.

BTW, it was a very nice ride here on the new  bike.

I do have plan B, but not sure if I can make it to the nearest fast charge station, But I think I can.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 05:10:33 AM »

Plan B was no good, because the CCS charger  in Sparks in not on line yet. But my plan C was a lot better. I called the Harley dealer here in Reno and their charger is on-line. And was free for me to use today. So I charged up to 100% and got back here at 95% which is enough to make to the next CCS charge station on the way back to Auburn.

I was the very first person to use the HD charger in Reno. They do not yet have the Livewire.

When I got back here, I tried again to use my TeslaTap and again the exact same problem. I will not be 100% sure if the problem is caused by my Tesla-Tap setup here or the bike. I only expect the bike because of the message I get for a few seconds before the charger trips. But I will know for sure when I get back to Auburn because that set-up worked perfectly before I tried to fast charge for the first time. But it's the exact same type of setup here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:46:51 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:54:22 AM »

Looks the bike is NOT at fault. I went to the nearest Level Two charger and the bike charged fine.

It looks like the problem has something to do with the Tesla Tap here in Reno only, not working with my bike.

The same setup works fine in Auburn. At least it did yesterday before my first CCS Level 3 DC charge. So my plan is to take the Tesla Tap from here to Auburn and see if the one from Auburn still works okay and then check this Reno Tesla Tap in Auburn.

I will most likely head back to Auburn on Tuesday morning, on the SS9.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 03:39:13 AM »

I just  installed that app but I cannot get it to work. I don't think it will pair, for whatever reason. What could I be doing wrong? I don't find the instructions for pairing here very clear or else it just doen't work for me. It's always showing the Demo mode at 69% charged while  when I am 84% charged. I have only 000's in the settings on the bike.  No Bluetooth signal level etc.

Hitting "reset" on bike does nothing. Hitting the "connect" in the app makes it search, and the goes back to demo.

IMO, those stupid demo modes only make it more confusing and do nothing useful.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 04:57:16 AM »

Don, 

Tesla Tap not working at one location but the other? - I wonder if you're not waiting long enough. IIRC, Doesn’t it say somewhere to first connect the Tesla connector to it? After 30 secs, then plug in the J-plug. I remember my Tesla Tap wouldn’t work as I didn’t wait the 30 secs. I hope this is the fix you need so you can charge at home in Reno.

Here's some other charging thoughts - Charging your Esse Esse Nine, As you have two places you wish to charge at, I see 3 possibilities:

[1] 120 adapter - get a spare for Reno.

[2]  J-station, install one with a 14-50 or similar plug. It doesn’t have to be a monster station. You only need 3kw for max benefit.

[3] CCS station - Brandon is working on a viable solution.
Energica thread  ‘Portable CCS Testers needed’  discusses this.
Also, Brandon highlights his progress on - Motorcycles and Misfits, Podcast 322 (What Would You Do?). Begin at mark 25:40.
Brandon’s contact info - SMS 386-972-1922 or email brandon@diginow.it
-or- Morgan - Morgan@diginow.it

For me, I’m seriously considering a small J-station as I only have the 120 adapter. Brandon’s CCS units also seem like a good choice - why charge at 1kw or 3kw when 6kw or above is possible at home. Lake County is almost completely void of charging infrastructure. If the 120vacunit failed, I’d be stuck.

I hope my random thoughts are helpful.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 06:11:30 AM »

Don, 

Tesla Tap not working at one location but the other? - I wonder if you're not waiting long enough. IIRC, Doesn’t it say somewhere to first connect the Tesla connector to it? After 30 secs, then plug in the J-plug. I remember my Tesla Tap wouldn’t work as I didn’t wait the 30 secs. I hope this is the fix you need so you can charge at home in Reno.

Here's some other charging thoughts - Charging your Esse Esse Nine, As you have two places you wish to charge at, I see 3 possibilities:

[1] 120 adapter - get a spare for Reno.

[2]  J-station, install one with a 14-50 or similar plug. It doesn’t have to be a monster station. You only need 3kw for max benefit.

[3] CCS station - Brandon is working on a viable solution.
Energica thread  ‘Portable CCS Testers needed’  discusses this.
Also, Brandon highlights his progress on - Motorcycles and Misfits, Podcast 322 (What Would You Do?). Begin at mark 25:40.
Brandon’s contact info - SMS 386-972-1922 or email brandon@diginow.it
-or- Morgan - Morgan@diginow.it

For me, I’m seriously considering a small J-station as I only have the 120 adapter. Brandon’s CCS units also seem like a good choice - why charge at 1kw or 3kw when 6kw or above is possible at home. Lake County is almost completely void of charging infrastructure. If the 120vacunit failed, I’d be stuck.

I hope my random thoughts are helpful.
Two different Tesla Taps, same model, one for each location. Both ordered at the same time. Yes, the one in Auburn works fine. Same type of setup here in Reno which doesn't work. So my plan is to bring this Tesla Tap to Auburn and try them both there and see what happens.

I well know about the TeslaTap wait. I waited more than a minute each time. Sometimes more than ten minutes. I have used this setup many times before, and it normally takes around 30 seconds just like it says it should. But 30 seconds is longer than some people think. It's best to time it with a watch and then wait a few more seconds before letting the TeslaTap have a J1772 connected to it.

I already ordered a 120 VAC adapter for here. Slow charging is fine for here as it is only for when I want  to leave here with a full charge, which is not often. I alrerady have the 120 VAC adapter that came with the bike left there in Auburn.

There are plenty of L2 and L3 chargers near all of my three houses. AT my house in Cold Springs Valley, I have a 240 VAC outlet and J1772 station, no Tesla Wall Station as I mainly only need to charge up my bikes there. My ss9 charged up there fine today on L2--no Tesla-Tap.

I will know more about what is going on in a couple of days when I go back to Auburn and have both TeslaTaps there.

I usually have no need to fast charge at home, so I see no need for CCS at my houses. On the road is where I want the fast charging, such as riding between here and Auburn.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 07:41:52 AM »

So suggestion on the MyEnergica app and getting everything paired up.

Close the app and restart your phone (just to make sure we are starting with a blank slate)
Make sure your phones bluetooth is on.
Open the MyEnergica app
Turn the bike on and navigate to the connectivity setting
scroll down to reset and click the mode button to select it.
You should see the ID turn all 0's or flash to 0's briefly.
In the app click the 3 lines (hamburger) in the top left and pick settings
In the settings menu choose your bike type and then click the reset button
Use the hamburger to go back to the dashboard
Wait... Should pair with the bike after a few seconds.
If you have waited longer than 15 seconds try to click the connect button in the top right of the app.

Once connected you can exit out of the bikes menus.

Let me know if that for some reason dose not work for you. I just tested the process successfully on 3 bikes around the shop.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »

So suggestion on the MyEnergica app and getting everything paired up.

Close the app and restart your phone (just to make sure we are starting with a blank slate)
Make sure your phones bluetooth is on.
Open the MyEnergica app
Turn the bike on and navigate to the connectivity setting
scroll down to reset and click the mode button to select it.
You should see the ID turn all 0's or flash to 0's briefly.
In the app click the 3 lines (hamburger) in the top left and pick settings
In the settings menu choose your bike type and then click the reset button
Use the hamburger to go back to the dashboard
Wait... Should pair with the bike after a few seconds.
If you have waited longer than 15 seconds try to click the connect button in the top right of the app.

Once connected you can exit out of the bikes menus.

Let me know if that for some reason dose not work for you. I just tested the process successfully on 3 bikes around the shop.
That's been exactly what I have been doing, but just to be 100% sure, I printed out your message and followed your instructions step by step. Still, all I see is the Demo mode. It says my phone is searching but no change after it's done searching.

My phone Bluetooth is on as shown by the symbol on the Smartphone screen.

I see no indication on the bike that it is even trying to do anything to pair.  Should it tell me when it's searching? There is no indication of any type of attempting to pair from the bike. Seems the app is trying, but the bike isn't doing anything when it's on the conductivity setting.

BTW, what is "Use US alternative Provider" ? Should that be off or on?  I have tried both ways anyway.

Edit:Do not reply to this message until reading the next! I now have it working!

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:50:42 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »

I turned on "Use US alternative Provider" and then it worked for the very first time. It was off. What does that do? Or was it just a coincidence that it worked that very second I switched that to on?  That was the only thing I did differently the time it paired. Now the app is working normally.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 11:23:44 AM »

Was a nice try, thanks, but it did not work at any setting. Even at setting of zero, my bike will try to initialize a DC fast charge when my pure AC Tesla Wall Connector is used with my Tesla-Tap here in Reno. And that means I need to reset the Tesla Wall Connector.

I may stay here in Reno for a few more days, not sure yet. I also could leave in the morning for Auburn, either way, I will take the Tesla-Tap with me and post the results here.

BTW, when I look at the charge stations on the App Map, how come the MANY charge stations between Auburn and Reno are not shown? If I am not doing anything wrong, that map is almost useless.

I installed a Garmin GPS on the bike and I have a Saved Category for each, "CCS  Charge Stns" and "J1772 AC Charging" with all the Charge Stations that I am likely to use. That info comes from PugShare, which is usually accurate.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 11:41:10 AM »

I lost my Bluetooth connection to the bike and cannot get it back. I tried to start over to no Avail.

BTW, in case you're wondering if my added GPS has Bluetooth, yes it does. But not is it only turned off, I keep it far from the bike while I am trying to pair and use the app with the bike.

But it could still be Bluetooth interference from somewhere else.  It would be helpful to know where in the bike the Bluetooth transmitter is located, so I can be sure to keep my Smartphone very close to that area while  I am trying to pair.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 07:04:09 PM »

I don’t think the charging stations show up on the app. When I have the app synced to my bike while riding, the 5 nearest charging stations do show up on the bike’s dash but I don’t know if it shows all of the stations, I’m just kind of trusting it at this point. The list on the bike’s dash is just a simple list with distance, a direction arrow, and type of charger.

I believe the option in the app to use an alternative US provide is for the charging station list. If unselected I believe it uses whatever map/list is built into the app but I believe that if you enable it, it will use something like PlugShare or whatever else you may have on your phone to generate that list. To be honest though, I haven’t played around with that option yet, just the option to determine the type of chargers to show me (AC/DC).
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 08:20:22 PM »

I don’t think the charging stations show up on the app. When I have the app synced to my bike while riding, the 5 nearest charging stations do show up on the bike’s dash but I don’t know if it shows all of the stations, I’m just kind of trusting it at this point. The list on the bike’s dash is just a simple list with distance, a direction arrow, and type of charger.

I believe the option in the app to use an alternative US provide is for the charging station list. If unselected I believe it uses whatever map/list is built into the app but I believe that if you enable it, it will use something like PlugShare or whatever else you may have on your phone to generate that list. To be honest though, I haven’t played around with that option yet, just the option to determine the type of chargers to show me (AC/DC).
Many were showing, even far away and well past those I were looking for on I-80. It was much like only those I use  the most between here and Auburn were not showing. But I could see MANY charge stations in and west west of Sacramento,

Anyway, I guess it doen't matter. I won't be using it, I really only wanted to try the App for trying the adjustment of the lower charging on the L2, as you suggested.  I am sure glad I put it back to 100% before I started having the Bluetooth issues again!

BTW, I have decided I will ride the bike back to Auburn later this morning. I already put the Tesla-Tap adapter in my backpack that I am taking.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X