• October 02, 2024, 08:26:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: What I do and do not like about the SS9  (Read 4241 times)

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: What I do and do not like about the SS9
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2019, 01:07:03 AM »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2019, 03:37:38 AM »

Auto correct strikes again and I wasn't paying enough attention.   :(
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2019, 04:48:43 AM »

I now have my SS9 here at my house in Auburn.

It took me a few minutes to figure how to get it  to run. The screen mentions the front brake but didn't mention I have to hold the switch in  at the same time to get it going.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »

I checked the various things today, such as the tranny fluid level, coolant level and tire PSI. Front tire was about 5 psi low, but all else was fine. When checking the coolant level, I was surprised that the very large motor controller is made in the USA!

The  motor controller in my Zeros  come from China.

After a ride, I made the shocks more stiff. I think it even bottomed out a couple of times during the ride before I adjusted anything. Something made a loud noise after riding over a  couple of bumps in the road.  I left the damper adjustment alone at 2.   I really have no idea what to do with that and the Owner's manual doesn't say much about it.

One good thing, I discovered. One type of TPMS sensor  clears the front brake caliper just fine as is. That is this unit, and it works form five volts USB, so that is perfect for this bike.

The Garmin sensors are a lot longer  than the sensors shown above.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Kradblatt

• View Profile
    • Kradblatt - a german motorcycle magazine
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2019, 05:33:32 PM »

After a ride, I made the shocks more stiff. I think it even bottomed out a couple of times during the ride before I adjusted anything. Something made a loud noise after riding over a  couple of bumps in the road.  I left the damper adjustment alone at 2.   I really have no idea what to do with that and the Owner's manual doesn't say much about it.

Do a right measurement about the suspensions-slag like subscribed in the manual.
It gaves my SS9 a much better handling!

Guess the sound was a hard "klong". Surprised me as well.
It's the bottom of the chain hitting the protector of the under swingarm. Thats made of some resistable material, not rubber than some other bikes and that "klongs" on hard bumps. Not nice but no failure...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:35:07 PM by Kradblatt »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 10:25:33 AM »

Do a right measurement about the suspensions-slag like subscribed in the manual. It gaves my SS9 a much better handling!

Guess the sound was a hard "klong". Surprised me as well.
It's the bottom of the chain hitting the protector of the under swingarm. Thats made of some resistable material, not rubber than some other bikes and that "klongs" on hard bumps. Not nice but no failure...
I don't recall seeing that in the manual, but I will look for such later.

It's nice to know what that noise was. Now that I know, it's NBD. Thanks.

BTW, I now have a Garmin GPS (with a charge station saved category) as well as a TPMS added to my SS9.

One more thing I can add to my do not like list. The regen does not go low enough to be useful on the freeway in the hills. It needs to have something between off and the low  regen setting, closer to off. I find the best is to just keep it off totally between Auburn and Reno as I will get a lot more distance on a charge by better coasting than I can get from regen on at any level. I use 20% regen on my Zero SR which is perfect for the freeway on this same run.

BTW, I never checked, I stayed in the Urban  mode all the way, but does the mode have any effect on regen? If I went to Sport mode,  would low regen be the same as in Urban or does regen  change to a lower amount on each range?  I didn't think about that until now.

Nevertheless, I love the bike!  When the weather is decent near the summit, I will probably always ride the SS9 to go back and fourth between Reno and Auburn.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Kradblatt

• View Profile
    • Kradblatt - a german motorcycle magazine
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »

The regen does not go low enough to be useful on the freeway in the hills.

Regen is not adjustable, it's something you have to get used to ;-)
Riding and regen modes don't effect each other.

I mostly ride my Esse in sport-mode, traction control level 2. Even on wet conditions, TC works well :-)
Full regen is nice cause you almost need no brakes but needs more concentration at the throttle.
If you're self in "flower-picking-mode" it acts to hard. Then I use one less (middle-mode). Low and off make no sense for me by now.

Something I didn't know at first:
If you close throttle just a little bit there is no regen at all - just rolling like "Sail-Mode" at BMW C-evolution. Very nice.

Try sport mode and middle regen and play with the throttle a bit ;-)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:47:00 PM by Kradblatt »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2019, 09:20:57 PM »

Something I didn't know at first:
If you close throttle just a little bit there is no regen at all - just rolling like "Sail-Mode" at BMW C-evolution. Very nice.

Try sport mode and middle regen and play with the throttle a bit ;-)
Thanks, I did not know that trick, that sounds handy.

The idea is to get the best range going down hill, which is NOT accomplished when the bike slows down too much. If I can have good regen when I must slow down, but not when I want to coast as far as possible, that trick sound perfect. I will try it, thanks.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 10:19:34 PM »

After playing around with modes, regen, and traction control settings over the past month, I've settled into sport mode, high regen and TC level 1 for my daily commute. As Kradblatt said, the higher regen modes means I only use my brakes when coming to a complete stop or in case of emergency. Everything else is done via the throttle. Once you get used to where the "neutral" zone is in the throttle, you can coast as desired any time you want. It is a small zone though so you do have to get used to it and rough roads can have you jerking between acceleration and regen braking.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2019, 01:39:56 AM »

After playing around with modes, regen, and traction control settings over the past month, I've settled into sport mode, high regen and TC level 1 for my daily commute. As Kradblatt said, the higher regen modes means I only use my brakes when coming to a complete stop or in case of emergency. Everything else is done via the throttle. Once you get used to where the "neutral" zone is in the throttle, you can coast as desired any time you want. It is a small zone though so you do have to get used to it and rough roads can have you jerking between acceleration and regen braking.
Yeah, I figured out how to do that on the way up here to my Cold Springs Valley House from my main Reno home. That is helpful.  This is around 18 miles north from my main house in Reno and I can take freeway or side streets to get here. I took the freeway today.

But from Reno to Auburn, there is very little stopping but lots of hills, up and down each way,  so then I may as well just keep the regen totally  off.  BTW, I never checked . . .is there any brake regen or is it only deceleration regen?

For the freeway custom mode on my Zeros, I use near the opposite extremes. 20% decel regen, 100% braking regen. The only reason I keep it at 20% is because I feel no difference at zero % in how the Zeros will coast.

BTW,  the new bike does the Level Two charging just fine here also, but here I do not use a Tesla Tap.

-Don- Cold Springs Valley, NV
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:38:10 PM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2019, 01:59:00 AM »

I believe it's regen deceleration only. I don't recall reading anything about regen from braking. Of course not reading anything about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ;)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2019, 02:47:29 AM »

I believe it's regen deceleration only. I don't recall reading anything about regen from braking. Of course not reading anything about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. ;)
It's more like my Tesla. It also has no braking regen, but the decel regin is so powerful that there is not much use for the brake.

I prefer the way Zero does it, so they can be set independently. IOW, set for better coasting and better braking at the same time.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2019, 12:14:51 AM »

Regen is not adjustable, it's something you have to get used to ;-)
Riding and regen modes don't effect each other.

So the SS9 regen is not throttle controlled?
I had the impression from some of the first reviews that you could adjust regen with the throttle. If that is not the case- that is a bummer. I'm not particularly found of binary regen response. Having a car (ioniq ev) that is not, i would definitely prefer my bike to be able to adjust the regen magnitude with the throttle, and not just by switching modes.

Does it work well to change regen setting on the fly, or do you always find one setting for the whole trip?
(For example with my zero, i toggle between custom (low brake regen, no throttle off regen) and sport then eco while going downhill into a crossing, but i find it cumbersome to switch quickly back to when i reach the end of the slop and need to accelerate (where eco feels like a bummer).

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2019, 12:43:20 AM »

The amount of regen is based on how much you roll off the throttle but that initial and max regen amount is based on the regen setting on the bike itself (low, medium, high, or off). Others can correct me if I'm wrong but based on my riding and playing around with the various settings, that's the way it seems to work to me.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2019, 01:14:27 AM »

FWIW, I find for my riding between here and Reno, it is best to keep the regen off. Even the lowest setting is way too much regen for the freeway if you want to get the best range on a charge.  Better coasting is a lot more important than regen when going down hill at higher speeds.

One nice thing is the SS9 coasts very well with the regen off. A lot better than my Zeros with the regen off.

I wish the bike had breaking regen, but by looking at the regen scale on the upper left top of the screen, there is NO braking regen at all in any mode. I would like to put that at the max possible as when we need to brake, it can help charge the battery as we stop even faster and do less wear on the brakes.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X