• October 02, 2024, 10:21:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What I do and do not like about the SS9  (Read 4244 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Re: What I do and do not like about the SS9
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 08:26:03 AM »

WooHoo! Welcome to the Energica family. :)
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 10:39:01 AM »

They took some photos in the shop with me next to the bike. They say they wanted it for their facebook page. Perhaps they will send it to me too. I did not bother to take any photos myself.

https://www.facebook.com/calmotomv/photos/a.192659770775318/2977628768945057/?type=3&theater

Hope you get it soon!

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 10:51:45 AM »

Hope you get it soon!
Thanks for the link here.

I must have looked for it before it was up.  BTW, I am on Facebook, but I almost never use it.

-Don-  Mountain View, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »

Please excuse me while  I edit my list of motorcycles below. .  .  .
Congrats, DonTom! May you enjoy the bike and may it keep its rubber side down  ;D
I cannot buy any more bikes because I now have zero characters left to use in the
"signature" line.    I even had to remove my Tesla from the last line, but it's not a motorcycle anyway.
Now that's what I call a first-world problem...

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 07:20:29 PM »

1) Heated grips are an option, they don't come standard on the Energicas.
I assume the heated grips run from 12 VDC-- I recall somebody here, besides me, looking for a 12 VDC source in the Energica.

I see on page 72 of the owner's manual, the ten amp fuse for the heated grips & USB. Looks very easy to wire to, and ten amps should be good for around 135 watts (the "12 volts"  is  probably is really around 13.8VDC ) when the grips are not being used. But I am not sure where to find a good point for a return. I assume the frame is not used as a ground, as in other EVs. But finding the floating ground wire should  also be easy to find.

-Don-  Mountain View, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 07:40:07 PM »

Congratulations, Don.  Keep us informed about your experiences with your new SS9 and have fun riding your new Energica.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 03:11:36 AM »

I am not sure where to find a good point for a return. I assume the frame is not used as a ground, as in other EVs. But finding the floating ground wire should  also be easy to find.

-Don-  Mountain View, CA

Don, congrats on the purchase!

The frame is the ground reference for the 12v side of the bikes electrical system. You are correct the battery ground is floated.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 04:24:11 AM »

I am not sure where to find a good point for a return. I assume the frame is not used as a ground, as in other EVs. But finding the floating ground wire should  also be easy to find. The frame is the ground reference for the 12v side of the bikes electrical system. You are correct the battery ground is floated.
Thanks for that info. That is unlike my Zeros which even uses a floating ground for the 13.8 VDC.

It's nice to know that the Energica Service Manger is on line here!

Looks like adding a 12 VDC socket will be no issue on my new bike, as long as I can find a neat way to run just one wire. It will not have the heated grips so I assume that  ten amp fuse will be good up to 8  amps or so from the output side of that fuse. But if I use my own fuse from the opposite side, would I be able to draw, say 15 amps, if I needed to run a tire air compressor?  Tire pumps are usually  just over that ten amps under load, IIRC.

One more question, unrelated. The front tire valve stem. Can it be changed to a straight one so I can add a small TMPS sensor (such as used with many of the Garmin GPSes) that will not hit the front brake caliper?  I have a TPMS on my other nine bikes and I won't feel right not having one on this bike for both tires.

In other news, I should have the bike here by perhaps Friday. I already made arrangements at the Indian shop. It is only costing me $100.00 to have it shipped there (as long as it is to a motorcycle shop and not direct to my house).  It's just 4.5 miles there, which I can and probably will hike to to pick up my car after I pick up the bike. I can still do a  five mile (two hour) hike in my old age!

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 08:29:13 AM »

One more question, unrelated. The front tire valve stem. Can it be changed to a straight one so I can add a small TMPS sensor (such as used with many of the Garmin GPSes) that will not hit the front brake caliper?  I have a TPMS on my other nine bikes and I won't feel right not having one on this bike for both tires.

Will these T-valves work? https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 09:14:41 PM »

Hey congrats DonTom.
It is funny though, whatever motorcycle a company makes, a new owner with start to modify it as soon as he gets home.  :)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2019, 09:59:45 PM »

Will these T-valves work?
The "T" is what causes the problem. If the SS9 can use a normal straight tire valve that will solve the problem.  But it  could then be a little more difficult to get to, but with a TPMS I will always know the PSI anyway, so it only becomes an issue when actually  filling up the tire.

But the rim around the tire valve looks kinda nonstandard and it could require only that  valve that is OEM from Energica, which cannot be longer or it hits the front brake caliper.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »

Hey congrats DonTom.
It is funny though, whatever motorcycle a company makes, a new owner with start to modify it as soon as he gets home.  :)
Yep, but usually the very first thing I do is change the horn. I now have two motorcycles not requiring such. The Harley and the SS9. The BMW came close to being loud enough.

The Zero horns were the worse of all. A yell would be a lot louder than the little "beep beep" from the Zero. But they did improve the horn on the SR/F, IIRC.

Also, I like the horn to work when the ignition is not on. Can't do that with the Zeros without a big hassle. I have had one accident caused by being parked all because I had the key out and the horn didn't work. I have also prevented such from happening after I modified the horn.

In case you wonder how that happens, on my BMW, I stopped behind a van near my house (then) in South San Francisco. I stopped to adjust a mirror or something like that. I turned of the ignition  and as soon as I did that, the van started and reversed into me in about a second flat. I didn't even know there was anybody in it. A working horn would have prevented that. The other time I was in a parking lot, and I prevented somebody from backing into my bike right when I got back to the bike buy pressing the horn. No time for key, which was in my pocket.

I cannot think of a single reason why a horn should not work with the key out and ignition off.

But you're right, I have never owned a motorcycle that I did not want to change or add something the day I got it home. I think the only way we can get a bike every way we want is to build it ourselves.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »

Hey congrats DonTom.
Yep, but usually the very first thing I do is change the horn. I now have two motorcycles not requiring such. The Harley and the SS9. The BMW came close to being loud enough.
Wait, what? Your 1970s Beemer didn't come stock with a dual-tone double Fiamm horn? That's the standard against which all loud bike horns are measured, IME, and the horn most folks replace their non-BMW bike's with...

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »

Wait, what? Your 1970s Beemer didn't come stock with a dual-tone double Fiamm horn? That's the standard against which all loud bike horns are measured, IME, and the horn most folks replace their non-BMW bike's with...
The stock 1971 BMW horn (single car type horn) was about the loudest horn you could find on a motorcycle back in those days. IOW, still not very loud, but a lot louder than all the Japanese horns, which isn't saying much.

I remember one of the motorcycle magazines complaining about it back in those days. Saying we should all go into a motorcycle shop and ask to press the horn and say "can't buy this bike, horn is too weak."

BTW,  the very weakest horns I ever heard came stock on my 2017 Zeros. A very faint "beep".  The SR/F horn is quite a bit louder, so at least they did something about it. I put on dual flamms (with a relay) on each of my Zeros.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Kradblatt

• View Profile
    • Kradblatt - a german motorcycle magazine
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »

2. Rear brake pedal so low it's difficult to find and use. However, I think there is an easy fix for that because the brake level is perfectly round, so we should be able to slip something over it to make it seem higher.

It's adjustable like any other motorcycle rear brake.
Use the rod that pushes the pump to adjust!

btw: I ride a SS9 Special since April (4500km b.n.) and I'm very satisfied with it :-)
Only issues: I swapped tires to Pirelli Angel GT 2 because the Phantom can't really handle the weight.
Just ordered a Hyperpro shock because my Bitubo don't fit my needs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6