• September 30, 2024, 06:14:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frame Sliders...  (Read 2769 times)

BigPoppa

• View Profile
Frame Sliders...
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:25:45 PM »

Has anyone installed frame sliders on their Ego/Eva/Esse Esse 9? Looking at Revzilla's website they all appear to be bike specific fitments (except for one set which is a universal fit). I'm wondering if we can use frame sliders made for some other trellis framed bike like a Ducati or something.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

RFlashman

• View Profile
Re: Frame Sliders...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 07:18:50 PM »

Probably can reuse some other bike ones, issue isn't attaching them, is that they stick out the right amount in the right place to actually make a difference. Wish there was a place that stocked these in person near me to try different ones out.

Demoni

• Global Moderator
  • Energica Service Manager
    • View Profile
    • Energica
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »

Hope to be able to answer this with specific product links some time soon.

None of the frame to battery mount bolts will work unfortunately. With sliders installed there it impedes your legs natural position or has a high chance of a shin burger during low speed maneuvers.

The one place remaining location is behind the large fairing bolt right behind the front turn signal. For this to function properly bike specific sliders need to be designed.
If you mounted generic sliders at this location they would not have enough support and would likely snap off vs slide.

One suggestion I know works well is the Woodcraft swingarm slider/spools. These stick out further than the factory aluminum spools and will protect your swingarm in the event of a crash.

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »

Thanks for the insights. I’ll cross my fingers and hope someone comes out with sliders designed for our bikes.

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 07:52:33 PM »

Stonewolf

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 04:43:05 AM »

The side bags do a surprisingly good job, my Ribelle has been yeeted at a cop by some thieves and hasn't needed any cosmetic work done to its fairings thanks to the sidebags (the eggs inside even survived unscathed!)
Rides an Energica, makes boring YouTube videos

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 09:31:59 AM »

But at 700 dollars a pair for those side bags, that's kind of an expensive bumper.
However since we are talking about 'adverse bike geometry' conditions :)  the bags also help when you have to pick the thing up too.

Aaron

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 03:20:56 PM »

Having had the unfortunate experience of laying my Ribelle on her right side twice now  ::) I can testify that the China-made frame aluminium protectors I have installed had some limited effect.
They are mounted underneath the indicator with a M8 screw.
Energica of New England has similar protectors, but you have to adapt the bike by drilling. That is something I am not prepared to do yet (shuddering at the thought  :-\)

Still the bar end, the brake lever and the mirror took some scratches. Also the indicator 'glass' shattered, but the indicator itself was still working.
The side fairing did not splinter like the first time when I fell and hadn't the protectors, but even with protectors the fairing was scratched. But scratch removal and re-painting cost less than half of the new fairing (new fairing approx. 450 €). The X-shaped plate underneath the fairing was bend as well. I assume one could bend it back, but I bought a new one every time (about 40 €). A new indicator cost about 45 €. Bar end was 20 €, for the brake lever I got a nice red one matching the bike's color for approx. 90 € from Probrake. Looks far better than the OEM from Brembo.

Summarizing, installing these cheap China protectors saves some money, but cannot protect everything. You can get them at Aliexpress for less than 30 €.

Having done some research at different providers of such sliders, I think you could look for those made for a Ducati Multistrada. Unfortunately they are mounted with M10 screws as apparently most of these are.

Regarding the side bags:
I really believe that they help if you fall on the side. The two occasions when I snuggled with my bike on the ground, I was not able to pull out my leg from underneath the bike. Fortunatly there were people around helping me. Unfortunately those side bags look ugly on the Ribelle (my opinion). Still looking for an alternative to them, but without success so far.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 03:23:47 PM by jotjotde »

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 06:14:43 PM »

I ended up getting the sliders from Energica of New England (eOne). I had my local dealer install them since I too didn’t feel comfortable doing the drilling. While I’m not expecting them to protect the bike in the event of a crash, I’m hoping they will help reduce damage in the event of a tip over…the same expectation of the the “crash bars” on my RT.

Specter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 06:26:09 PM »

jotjot.  I know the feeling on the bags.  I was kind of, ehh, but they grow on you after a while.  Especially when you look around and besides for the crotch rocket boys, see how many bikes DO have bags on them, it's not too bad after a while.  the only thing I do not like is their shape.  They have this wierd ass geometry and that lump inside that really takes a lot of room away that could be used for storage IMO.

You only flopped it over on one side?  Slacker !!  I want FULL commitment from you, all the around or nothing mister !! :D

When mine tipped it took off the tip of the brake handle AND the rear brake kicker.  The rear has a nub which you can still engage with but sheared pretty close to the bar arm.  To be honest I kind of like it better that way, the old one was too long IMO, and having a nubby I think would serve better.  Where it's positioned, too easy to let your foot get lazy and start tapping it IMO.

Here's a helpful hint. when you do scuff up that plastic.  Sharpies work wonders to get the coloring back, just scribble over it with a sharpie to fill in the scuffs and it's way WAY less noticeable.

Yah I can imagine that bike can get real heavy if you did not get out from under it on the way down, but the bags im sure would keep the brunt of that weight off you or at least have it at a better angle to be able to push up a bit to slide out id hope.  Hoping I don't find out but well... it's probably inevitable at some time.

The bags, if you find something that works, please let me know.  Im looking for different ones too.
One other thing I find off putting about them is, the little note that comes with them, don't let them sit prolonged in the sun, warranty void.  WTF is that, and they give you protectors.  No I am NOT going to stretch garbage bags over my saddle bags, really dude??  I would also love the back box /bag like you see on the experia as well.  I wonder if it's mounting kit(s) would fit on the Ribelle?  Didn't they say somewhere that you could essentially put it's bags on the Ribelle?

Aaron

Pard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 08:51:24 PM »

Does anybody know if the bolt goes through the battery pack or does it just fasten into one side?

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 04:25:33 AM »

Sorry, I don't know but just for reference, that picture is of a 13kw Eva (precursor to the Ribelle) and the body work is different. To my unskilled eye it looks like roughly the same place that my eOne sliders bolted to which also required some drilling. If that's the case, there's space between the frame and battery but not very much. My dealer had to shave the eOne bolts down a bit so he could have room to get the nut between the frame and battery.

Hopefully someone with a 13kw Eva can chime in for sure.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 01:10:46 PM »

You only flopped it over on one side?  Slacker !!  I want FULL commitment from you, all the around or nothing mister !! :D

@Aaron: Doing the same error twice and breaking four ribs on the second occasion is very very near to full commitment in my view  ;D ;D ;D

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2023, 01:21:28 PM »

@ Pard: I think the bolt goes through the pack. Most probably a M8 or M10 only, so one-sided fixing could hold not enough load IMO.

jotjotde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2023, 01:39:33 PM »

Sorry, I don't know but just for reference, that picture is of a 13kw Eva (precursor to the Ribelle) and the body work is different. To my unskilled eye it looks like roughly the same place that my eOne sliders bolted to which also required some drilling. If that's the case, there's space between the frame and battery but not very much. My dealer had to shave the eOne bolts down a bit so he could have room to get the nut between the frame and battery.

Hopefully someone with a 13kw Eva can chime in for sure.

Looking at the pictures of a Ribelle and an EVA it seems the frame remains the same.
As I understood the R&G protectors is mounted in another place than the EONE.
Pages: [1] 2