• October 01, 2024, 05:27:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: 2020 Energica Ego Stalls During Full Power Acceleration from Around 80 mph  (Read 6203 times)

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Energica Ego Stalls During Full Power Acceleration from Around 80 mph
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 02:51:04 AM »

3. Stalls again on the freeway. I take it to the dealer. They send it back to Redmond, CA and after two weeks I get it back. They replaced the inverter.

4. Stalls while crossing traffic on the freeway, two days after I get it back from the dealer.

I'm taking it back to the dealer again today, for the third time for the same problem. Time to get a new bike. :(
I wonder if your problem could be something such as corrupted firmware making it look more like a hardware issue  when there is really no hardware problem.

BTW,  many new Triumph Trophys had the exact same symptoms you're describing. After a lot of incorrect guesswork and replaced good parts, the real reason was discovered. The ECM was randomly rebooting which would cause the engine to die. Would always restart and run fine until perhaps the next day or so on the freeway and the engine would die again, and it caused many close calls with death. They believed the reason for the random reboot was the random ignition noise. But the fix was to replace the ECM on every bike with one that was better filtered for noise and that was the real fix.

I assume you mean Redwood City, CA.  My Energica is also there, but for a much  different reason. The master key was lost (by them, before I purchased the bike), so they are changing my immobilizer.

They picked up my bike from Auburn, CA and are also doing my 600 mile service and bringing it back to my house all at no cost to me.  So I have no complaints. The bike is now ready, 600 mile service completed and immobilizer has been replaced, and they are about  to bring it back.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV

Hi Don,
Yes it's Redwood City. I assume they have looked at all angles to fix the stalling problem, and maybe reflashed the firmware. I think they need to take this bike back and make it a daily driver for one of the mechanics who can make it his mission to find out what is wrong. I can't beta test this every two  weeks.
As far as the stalls all occurring on the 405, all I can say is that is my route to and from work. The guys in Redwood City have been able to replicate the problem, but haven't found the final solution, so I think that rules out the electronic interference. But I am so frustrated I could be convinced that space aliens are interfering with it, because they themselves have evolved into electronic creatures and view my riding on the back of an EV as cruel  :o.
Motorcycle Harem: 2015 Yamaha R1, 2013 MV Agusta F4, and 2020 Energica Ego.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »

Hi Don,
Yes it's Redwood City. I assume they have looked at all angles to fix the stalling problem, and maybe reflashed the firmware. I think they need to take this bike back and make it a daily driver for one of the mechanics who can make it his mission to find out what is wrong. I can't beta test this every two  weeks.
As far as the stalls all occurring on the 405, all I can say is that is my route to and from work. The guys in Redwood City have been able to replicate the problem, but haven't found the final solution, so I think that rules out the electronic interference. But I am so frustrated I could be convinced that space aliens are interfering with it, because they themselves have evolved into electronic creatures and view my riding on the back of an EV as cruel  :o.

That's great that they have seen the problem for themselves. They probably want to figure out the cause more than anybody, but intermittents that only crap out once in a great while are usually  the toughest of all problems to solve.  It would be a lot easier to fix if it had the exact same issue at every time above 80 MPH. And a road test of 80 MPH around Redwood City won't be all that easy as well.

And as you have already discovered, another problem with such intermittent is you never really know when they are fixed.

I spent most of my life troubleshooting professionally, so I have seen it all.

Good luck to Energica and you on this one.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2019, 05:38:06 AM »

:) :) :)
As of today (10/1) I have a new 2020 Energica Ego motorcycle.
It's been a long and frustrating process, but the dealer, without having to be pressured, exchanged the old bike for a new one. For DMV purposes the justification was Lemon Law.
So Energica has done all that could be asked of them. I'm a bit gun shy about the motor, but I think there is a extremely good chance that the stalling was a fluke, specific to that one bike. A fluke that I'm sure Energica will eventually get to the bottom of.

It's great to have an electric bike again. I'm hooked on the torque, and never having to stop at a gas station.  ;D

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »

Awesome! It’s really cool the dealer and manufacturer did right by you. I don’t know how long Energica can keep up this level of service but I think it’s great they’re doing the right thing. Makes me glad I decided to with the brand.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »

:) :) :)
As of today (10/1) I have a new 2020 Energica Ego motorcycle.
It's been a long and frustrating process, but the dealer, without having to be pressured, exchanged the old bike for a new one. For DMV purposes the justification was Lemon Law.
So Energica has done all that could be asked of them. I'm a bit gun shy about the motor, but I think there is a extremely good chance that the stalling was a fluke, specific to that one bike. A fluke that I'm sure Energica will eventually get to the bottom of.

It's great to have an electric bike again. I'm hooked on the torque, and never having to stop at a gas station.  ;D
I think this is good  for Energica as well. No doubt they want to figure it out as they have the time, without having to rush the bike back to you.

BTW, did Lawrence pick up your bike and take it to Redwood City? I think he mentioned your bike to me when he came to pick up my SS9, but for a very different reasons. They lost my two extra keys (the master and spare) before I bought the bike, so Energica picked up the bike from my house here in Auburn and took it to their shop in Redwood City so they could change my immobilizer and give me a new set of keys. They also did my 600 mile service --all at no cost to me. They brought the bike back in about a week later, and I got an e-mail about what they did and checked for the 600 mile service (at 883 miles).  I am very happy with their excellent service.

This is my main bike to travel on between my  Reno and Auburn houses. I make one 15 minute charge stop at the summit (right at the middle)  and have juice left over when I get here. A 100 mile trip, exactly.

I too am hooked on electric everything--even my lawnmower is electric.  It's now to the point that I will never buy an ICE anything for the rest of my life.

The SS9 cruise control works so well in the mountains unlike any ICE vehicle. All that wide torque range with no tranny shifting.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »

I really wanna ride those mountains with CCS. Soon, hopefully. We should definitely do a group ride.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »

I really wanna ride those mountains with CCS. Soon, hopefully. We should definitely do a group ride.
Sounds good to me.

There are MANY CCS charge stations between here and Reno. I came from Reno yesterday (Tuesday). I got a 14 minute charge (to 80 SOC) at the half way point near the summit and had 16 miles range left when I got here, exactly 100 miles from Reno.  I charged in KingVale yesterday. Last time I charged at Nyack Road making this trip. But there are also CCS chargers in Colfax, Dutch Flat, Truckee  and of course here in Auburn as well as in Reno. Free at the Harley shop in Reno at a rather slow 15 KW.  On I-80, I charge at the full 25 KW, but it cost a few bucks.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:41:01 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2019, 11:41:08 PM »

I think this is good  for Energica as well. No doubt they want to figure it out as they have the time, without having to rush the bike back to you.

BTW, did Lawrence pick up your bike and take it to Redwood City? I think he mentioned your bike to me when he came to pick up my SS9, but for a very different reasons. They lost my two extra keys (the master and spare) before I bought the bike, so Energica picked up the bike from my house here in Auburn and took it to their shop in Redwood City so they could change my immobilizer and give me a new set of keys. They also did my 600 mile service --all at no cost to me. They brought the bike back in about a week later, and I got an e-mail about what they did and checked for the 600 mile service (at 883 miles).  I am very happy with their excellent service.

This is my main bike to travel on between my  Reno and Auburn houses. I make one 15 minute charge stop at the summit (right at the middle)  and have juice left over when I get here. A 100 mile trip, exactly.

I too am hooked on electric everything--even my lawnmower is electric.  It's now to the point that I will never buy an ICE anything for the rest of my life.

The SS9 cruise control works so well in the mountains unlike any ICE vehicle. All that wide torque range with no tranny shifting.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
[/quote]

Hi Don,
I'm not sure who took it back to Redwood city. They transferred my Ohlins shock, and the wiring for my radar detector, onto the new bike.
I did a lot of hard acceleration this morning between 70 and 80 mph, and no stalling. I think this bike will be OK.

The dealership is Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA. They and Energica did good by me.

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2019, 01:03:02 AM »

My new Energica Ego stalled on the 5 this morning.
This is the totally new bike that the dealer gave me to replace the fist Ego I bought, that stalled several times.
Energica was able to replicate the stalling on the first bike, but they were not able to fix it.
The stalling was the same as all the other times. I'm in the HOV lane; I start to accelerate to pass a car and the motor turns off.
I coast to the narrow HOV shoulder. Turn the motor off and on and restart the bike.
The error messages are the same as before:

Unknown error - contact service.
Red triangle on left side of display.
Yellow engine light on right side.

The only difference this time is that the display changed to metric. km and kph. All other settings were unchanged (TC=3, engine braking low, abs on)

I  wear a Garmin Virb 360 on my helmet, so i have a 360 degree video of everything around me. You can see my hands, the dash, the speed I'm going and what happens when the bike stalls. It stalls and all I've done is turn the throttle while traveling between 70 and 80 mph. My thumb doesn't hit anything.

I couldn't be more demoralized. When the bike works, I really enjoy it.
There is something fundamentally wrong with the batch of 2020 Energica Egos that I've had.
I just don't want it any more. I'll buy an electric bike when Kawasaki, Yamaha, or Honda come out with a sports bike. Right now, I just want my money back.

dittoalex

• Load the tire before you work the tire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 01:56:20 AM »

I had been following this thread because I want an Energica and was at least thankful my 2017 Zero SR was reliable.  But 3 weeks ago ago the bike stalled under full throttle acceleration (Eco mode, 40-ft lbs with 70 mph limit) while passing a Prius and throttle was unresponsive until kill switch was cycled.  I had pulled over because I thought I snapped the belt again, but I'm not sure if it would have worked while moving.  https://youtu.be/7MnMGWC1aLQ?list=PLS4nJ-eLD9EYOaPobQPiKbb120pG4qiSl&t=44

I look forward to seeing this fix in the Energica firmware changelog.

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 02:49:23 AM »

Sounds like electrical interference.  Have you always used the camera?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2019, 03:10:54 AM »

Sounds like electrical interference.  Have you always used the camera?
I too would have guessed that as a possibility however, Energica in Redwood City was able to duplicate the problem on his old bike, which means interference is unlikely.

Remember the Police Kaw 1000's?  The City of San Francisco had them. The very first problem we discovered is when the cop used the police radio, the engine would die.

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2019, 03:27:57 AM »

Something similar happened with a lady that is riding a Royal Enfield around the world and posting her adventures on YouTube.  She bought a drone to film some of her adventures and the drone controller started interfering with the after-market electronic performance gadget that she installed on her bike to richen the engine mixture.  When she would fly the drone, the check-engine light would come on and the bike would run poorly.  So she removed the gadget (something like a Power Commander) and didn't have any problems after that.  So I guess electrical interference can be a problem with electrical components under certain circumstances.  But how you would track down that sort of interference is a mystery to me.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2019, 03:36:47 AM »

It seems that one of the EVs was having a problem until they grounded the swing arm.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2019, 03:43:59 AM »

My new Energica Ego stalled on the 5 this morning.
This is the totally new bike that the dealer gave me to replace the fist Ego I bought, that stalled several times.
Energica was able to replicate the stalling on the first bike, but they were not able to fix it.
The stalling was the same as all the other times. I'm in the HOV lane; I start to accelerate to pass a car and the motor turns off.
I coast to the narrow HOV shoulder. Turn the motor off and on and restart the bike.
The error messages are the same as before:

Unknown error - contact service.
Red triangle on left side of display.
Yellow engine light on right side.

The only difference this time is that the display changed to metric. km and kph. All other settings were unchanged (TC=3, engine braking low, abs on).
What a bummer!

When I bought my Triumph Trophy SE (first year model, 2013) many riders had a problem where  it would just die with no warning when on the freeway. At first, nobody had a clue what was causing it, and shops were making a lot of incorrect guesses. Many people used lemon laws or whatever they could do after the bike almost got them killed a few times. Right after the engine dies, a restart was good for perhaps hundreds more miles until it happened again.

What Triumph finally  discovered is that the electrical noise from the engine, perhaps at certain RPMs for so many seconds, would cause the ECM (Electronic Control Module) to reboot and as it was rebooting the engine would die. It was very random and only effected some of the bikes (not mine).  They recalled every bike to replace the ECM to one that was better filtered for engine electrical noise and that totally solved the problem.

Anyway, I assume Energica, likewise, will discover the problem with the Ego and fix it, perhaps in a simple FW update or whatever.

Please keep us updated on this problem. While I can understand while you want to give up, I assume Energica will soon discover the problem and have it fixed. But it will probably mean a big recall, as Triumph had.

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X