• October 01, 2024, 05:37:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: 2020 Energica Ego Stalls During Full Power Acceleration from Around 80 mph  (Read 6205 times)

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile

Thanks for the comment. I haven't noticed an unstable throttle, but I'll pass that info along to the dealer. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what their strategy is.
Motorcycle Harem: 2015 Yamaha R1, 2013 MV Agusta F4, and 2020 Energica Ego.

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile

The dealer is sending my bike back to Energica in San Francisco. Don's comment on a bad throttle system was very helpful. I hope they figure out the problem. Only two more weeks in the shop or two more repair trips, and its a lemon. I really like the bike. Im trying to be understanding and patient. I hope they fix it.

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Energica Ego Stalls During Full Power Acceleration from Around 80 mph
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 01:53:36 AM »

OK. The Energica Dealer Service Center in Redwood, California (just below San Francisco) has been able to replicate my stalling problem. The power turned off when increasing the throttle between 70 and 80 mph. They saw that the error was "failure to communicate with the inverter". They checked all the wiring going to the inverter and there was no problem. They replaced the inverter and have not been able to cause the engine to stall since. So, it sounds like they fixed the motorcycle and will ship it back to Mission Viejo soon. It's a relief when the dealer can replicate a problem and no longer has suspicions that "maybe this guy is just crazy".  ;D

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 03:15:08 AM »

Thanks for the update! Definitely a good thing when mechanics/engineers (are the folks who work on EVs engineers, mechanics, or electricians?) can reproduce a problem.

I still have an intermittently faulty TPS in my wife's Escape that miraculously works every time it's been in the shop for oil changes and stuff. Unfortunately, nothing to indicate which one and each one runs over $200. I'm just waiting for it to die completely at this point.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 03:15:46 AM »

OK. The Energica Dealer Service Center in Redwood, California (just below San Francisco) has been able to replicate my stalling problem. The power turned off when increasing the throttle between 70 and 80 mph. They saw that the error was "failure to communicate with the inverter". They checked all the wiring going to the inverter and there was no problem. They replaced the inverter and have not been able to cause the engine to stall since. So, it sounds like they fixed the motorcycle and will ship it back to Mission Viejo soon. It's a relief when the dealer can replicate a problem and no longer has suspicions that "maybe this guy is just crazy".  ;D

Good news and good luck!  :) It doesn't happen very often that the dealer can replicate a very intermittent problem.   ;) 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 12:55:25 AM »

Just FYI. The inverter on our motorcycles is a major piece of water cooled equipment. I've circled it in the picture below on an Ego. It's purpose is of course to convert DC battery power to three phase AC for the motor.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 05:08:47 AM »

Just FYI. The inverter on our motorcycles is a major piece of water cooled equipment. I've circled it in the picture below on an Ego. It's purpose is of course to convert DC battery power to three phase AC for the motor.
Called the motor controller on Zeros.

I noticed that the "inverter" on my SS9 is made in the USA!  What does the label on yours say?

Seems strange that the CA made Zero uses Chinese parts and the Italian made Energica uses parts made here  in the USA.

On the top of your inverter, I think the small thingy towards the front is the Bluetooth module.

What is the larger thingy behind it?

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 08:54:20 AM »

Previous model year Zeroes used SevCon controllers. The SR/F uses a model made by SME I believe. The Energica ones are from Rinehart.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »

Interesting placement of the inverter.  I assumed that was where the charger was located.  So where is the charger(s)? 
They all have level 2ish  3kw AC chargers and the CCS setup.  Correct?   

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 10:37:06 PM »

The charging module is under the rear seat. Under the fan assembly and what not. It's like a long heat sink looking thingy (technical term...I promise...lol).
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 11:05:10 PM »

Ok, thanks there BigPoppa. I haven't seen an Energica in person yet, no dealers in GA.
I didn't see much of a tail section from that Naked Ego picture so I just figured there was nothing there but light wiring.
I have to say I always thought that was a better place for a charger than right under the battery.  Heat can escape all around with no ill effects.  That's likely why it has been moved with the SRF.

af1 racing

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 03:28:08 AM »

The Energica charging port is under the seat, so the seat is open during a charge. Charger is all in the tail.    There is also a charger fan under the seat to cool the charger.

stephen6

• 2020 Energica Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 11:54:34 PM »

Time to get a new bike.
The bike stalled for a fourth time on me this morning. I was on the 405 at 9:45AM crossing from the HOV lane to the Jamboree exit. I started to accelerated toward a hole in traffic and bang, no power. I had enough speed and traffic was sparse enough that I was able to coast to the shoulder, turn off the bike, and restart.
I've called the dealer and told them that I need a new bike. They agreed that I have been very patient, and will contact Energica to see when I can get a new bike.
Today was actually dangerous.

Just to recount what this bike has done:
1. Stalls on the freeway a couple of days after I bought it. I figured I must have done something wrong and continue to ride.
2. Stalls on the freeway within a week. I know I was not at fault and take it to the dealer. They send it to Redmond ,CA for two weeks. Energica thinks it's a seat position sensor.
3. Stalls again on the freeway. I take it to the dealer. They send it back to Redmond, CA and after two weeks I get it back. They replaced the inverter.
4. Stalls while crossing traffic on the freeway, two days after I get it back from the dealer.

I'm taking it back to the dealer again today, for the third time for the same problem. Time to get a new bike. :(

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 01:47:55 AM »

3. Stalls again on the freeway. I take it to the dealer. They send it back to Redmond, CA and after two weeks I get it back. They replaced the inverter.

4. Stalls while crossing traffic on the freeway, two days after I get it back from the dealer.

I'm taking it back to the dealer again today, for the third time for the same problem. Time to get a new bike. :(
I wonder if your problem could be something such as corrupted firmware making it look more like a hardware issue  when there is really no hardware problem.

BTW,  many new Triumph Trophys had the exact same symptoms you're describing. After a lot of incorrect guesswork and replaced good parts, the real reason was discovered. The ECM was randomly rebooting which would cause the engine to die. Would always restart and run fine until perhaps the next day or so on the freeway and the engine would die again, and it caused many close calls with death. They believed the reason for the random reboot was the random ignition noise. But the fix was to replace the ECM on every bike with one that was better filtered for noise and that was the real fix.

I assume you mean Redwood City, CA.  My Energica is also there, but for a much  different reason. The master key was lost (by them, before I purchased the bike), so they are changing my immobilizer.

They picked up my bike from Auburn, CA and are also doing my 600 mile service and bringing it back to my house all at no cost to me.  So I have no complaints. The bike is now ready, 600 mile service completed and immobilizer has been replaced, and they are about  to bring it back.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 02:00:26 AM »

Stephen,

I have had the same thing happen on my 2017 EVA - oddly enough, also on the 405 fwy. 
Has anybody had this problem when NOT on the 405 freeway?  I am thinking some type of very strong interfering signal there screwing up the electronics in the bike, causing the engine to die.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X