• September 25, 2024, 01:22:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ohlins suspension, spring rate  (Read 783 times)

deklund

• View Profile
Ohlins suspension, spring rate
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:52:15 PM »

I was not completely happy with the stock Bitubo/Marzocchi setup that came with my EVA so i had it replaced with the Ohlins package.  The Ohlins was a big improvement, but I had difficulty setting up the front forks.  I had a minimum of 35mm sag with the preload dialed to the limit.  I discussed with my dealer and they sourced replacement springs (12 instead of 11.5). This seems to be just what was needed, the bike is now much better under braking and feels like what I am used to from my other bikes.  If you decide to order the Ohlins forks, I highly recommend you consider ordering with heavier springs than what is normally shipping from Energica.

Don

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
Re: Ohlins suspension, spring rate
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:03:49 PM »

I was not completely happy with the stock Bitubo/Marzocchi setup that came with my EVA so i had it replaced with the Ohlins package.  The Ohlins was a big improvement, but I had difficulty setting up the front forks.  I had a minimum of 35mm sag with the preload dialed to the limit.  I discussed with my dealer and they sourced replacement springs (12 instead of 11.5). This seems to be just what was needed, the bike is now much better under braking and feels like what I am used to from my other bikes.  If you decide to order the Ohlins forks, I highly recommend you consider ordering with heavier springs than what is normally shipping from Energica.

Don

deklund - About the stock "Bitubo/Marzocchi setup", for an average rider, would it work well for me? -or- is the Ohlins package a must? I hope to acquire an Eva, maybe an Esse Esse Nine shortly. I've decided not to get a Zero SR/F after all. Looking at what both bikes offer, the Energica's are a superior product with a like price point.

deklund

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 12:58:31 AM »

I think the stock set-up is okay, and the bike as it comes feels much better than the Zero DSR I previously owned.  See if you can get a test ride on an Ohlins equipped Energica, then decide if you want to do the upgrade.

2014ZeroSR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 01:09:02 AM »

I think the stock set-up is okay, and the bike as it comes feels much better than the Zero DSR I previously owned.  See if you can get a test ride on an Ohlins equipped Energica, then decide if you want to do the upgrade.

Thanks for your thoughts.

SBK74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 02:01:41 AM »

On my EsseEsse9 the Bitubo was the damper that was too soft for my taste. The Mazzochi was fine; I always dialed the Bitubo  to most firm. I now have Ohlins front and rear and no complains on the stock front Ohlins springs. Could it be that the EsseEsse9 (due to the more upright riding position) is a bit more critical on the back suspension? I had no such issues with Bitubo dampers on Evas that I have driven for quite some kilometers.

Edit: @2014ZeroSR BTW Cool that you consider the Energica! In my opinion also the better package. Agree with deklund. You can always start with stock suspension. The thing is, The EsseEsse9 handles so nicely, you quickly want more  :P

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:19:15 AM by SBK74 »
2018-2022  EsseEsse9
2022-         2021 Ribelle RS

Kradblatt

• View Profile
    • Kradblatt - a german motorcycle magazine
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 12:33:25 AM »

Same problems at my EE9 Special, too.
Marzzochi front works fine so far after adjusted slag correctly but the Bitubo kills fun on bumpy roads. Plain roads are almost ok.
Spring rate seems to high for my weight (full rider outfit aprox 75kg) and damping is even fully closed too soft.

First I thought about rebuilding the Bitubo fitting myself but meanwhile I think I will swap to Öhlins or Hyperpro at the back.

Also Pirelli Phantom doesn't fit the bike if you're not just cruising ;-)

BB, Marcus
Pages: [1]