• September 24, 2024, 03:29:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Brian T. Rice seriously injured in freak accident  (Read 3494 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Brian T. Rice seriously injured in freak accident
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 12:12:53 AM »

(Copies from the fundraiser thread because I’m still phone bound)

Hello from my home in SF. I’m still tube fed and outpatient but was only in the hospital for two weeks with two surgeries.

First I want to thank all of you for forming a fund and donating at all. It really makes me feel appreciated especially being isolated for a while.

For my recovery, they’re rebuilding my mouth and nose (but my jaw and tongue are fine). I don’t know how this will pan out but am just grateful any compensation might improve my chances at getting back to normal. I’m in no inclination to waste funds but I also have no clear picture on the financials here. If I somehow turn up overcompensated by some miracle, I’ll be glad to put the funds to some appropriate nonprofit use. I do know the CHP rules I was not at fault and there’s more in reports to consult to see for sure what various insurance companies will make of this.

I wish I could say how I might have improved my response to the situation but I only saw cables for the briefest of moments before my world got violent and messy.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 12:16:14 AM »

Likely it won't be long before he's online and updating us himself.

In my experience, recovery is a very boring process. I might as well have had my laptop computer grafted on.

Indeed. I’m hoping I can get on my laptop next week to try composing more stuff for the community and also getting at least a tiny bit of work done but probably more just to manage the maelstrom of paperwork and information around insurance etc.

I wish I could drink or eat. My mouth is stuffed full of surgered tissue so I’m operating on a tracheostomy tube and gastro tube. The best thing I get to eat is an occasional ice chip. It’ll be nice to have false upper teeth...

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 12:57:52 AM »

Good to have you back.  I was SHOCKED when I saw Terry's post on Facebook.  Talk about "Freak Accidents!"  Hope it won't be long before you're smiling again.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 12:51:06 AM »

Great to see you back !

Likely it won't be long before he's online and updating us himself.

In my experience, recovery is a very boring process. I might as well have had my laptop computer grafted on.

Indeed. I’m hoping I can get on my laptop next week to try composing more stuff for the community and also getting at least a tiny bit of work done but probably more just to manage the maelstrom of paperwork and information around insurance etc.

I wish I could drink or eat. My mouth is stuffed full of surgered tissue so I’m operating on a tracheostomy tube and gastro tube. The best thing I get to eat is an occasional ice chip. It’ll be nice to have false upper teeth...
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 04:10:16 AM »

I’m still homebound for the next several weeks, with surgery coming up in that period. I don’t know what the timeline is like after that.

My facial structure is still recovering and hurts quite a bit. On the other hand, my body has mostly recovered aside from crazy temperature swings related to the trauma.

So, while I can walk around, I can’t really go outside yet and am definitely unfit to wear a helmet. I can use a laptop in the morning, but by afternoon I regularly get lightly sweaty and tired so I’m laid up a lot resting.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 10:26:35 PM »

Brian,
I know it's going to be a long recovery, but you're doing awesome, and you're alive. We miss you on the forums and appreciate you coming back on here to update us.

Glad we could all help out a little, and I hope you can at least fine times during the day to enjoy things around you a bit.

Take care and heal well my friend!

Travis Gintz
Travis

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 12:30:10 AM »

So, my next facial reconstruction surgery was moved up to next week! Then I’ll heal up for a week while a plan for installing teeth is worked out.

In the meantime I’m in a bit of pain from the facial structure still not fully together, and trying to keep my pre-surgery tissue together and body as healthy as possible.

The question regarding riding is when my face will be able to sit safely in a helmet. I think that’ll take a while yet.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 03:22:07 AM »

Just to follow up for those curious, I'm well enough to work these days and can eat very soft foods (eggs, mashed potatoes, soft pasta, etc), although my new upper "gums" are still without teeth for the next few months, so I'll be dealing with liquid foods for a while as a mainstay to keep my diet balanced. The schedule for dental implants will unfortunately not happen as quickly as I'd hoped.

At least I've had all my tubes (throat and stomach) removed for a while.

My facial bone structure is still a little too delicate to put in a proper motorcycle helmet, but I do have a relatively loose dual sport helmet that I've used to get around on a scooter, since it should protect my face in case of a get-off. Otherwise, I get in a reasonable amount of exercise and can't wait until I can really ride again.

I was hoping to buy a used electric GenZe scooter, but I haven't been able to close a deal (flakey sellers). Maybe I can scrounge up an electric moped of some kind.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 04:33:46 AM »

It is good to hear that you are slowly recovering, Brian.  I continue to wish you the best and I do appreciate all of the things that you do to support Zero owners on this forum.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 04:37:01 AM »

It's nice to hear you're progressing!

My spouse got hit by a drunk driver on her bicycle on her way to work back in 1991.  So she had to go through the same rehabilitation.  Her work on rebuilding her ability to transfer short-term to long-term memory took the longest, she says.  Tho implants weren't a thing yet them, although she's since had them installed.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 05:04:24 AM »

It is good to hear that you are slowly recovering, Brian.  I continue to wish you the best and I do appreciate all of the things that you do to support Zero owners on this forum.  :)
++ !
Brian, I had the impression you were doing better, since you've been gradually posting more and longer posts. Also encouraging that you're actively planning getting back on powered two-wheelers. It took me several years to get back after I broke a wrist after the only serious accident I've ever had, and it was much less serious than yours.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 06:24:24 PM »

Don't rush things, Brian.  You're still young and have a long life ahead of you.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Brian T. Rice seriously injured in freak accident
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 10:03:51 PM »

Well, my surgeon just yesterday cleared me for doing things like skiing or riding, if I use a helmet with a strong chin guard, and my Shoei Hornet dual sport helmet fits the bill with its lower guard and not tight fit against my cheek bones.

I’m not in a rush on this but will be working on getting an electric motorcycle soon somehow. Maybe used.

Mind you, I definitely won’t have dental inserts until April, this just means the bones seem to have healed reasonably well. And I need to exercise more before then.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2020, 03:59:52 AM »

Huzzah, another hurdle cleared ^-^

That's gotta feel good, tho.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 04:00:10 AM »

That is great news, Brian.  Keep up the good work.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 [2] 3