• September 24, 2024, 03:25:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Brian T. Rice seriously injured in freak accident  (Read 3492 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Brian T. Rice seriously injured in freak accident
« on: June 30, 2019, 11:38:56 PM »

Electric Terry posted this article on Facebook about our friend Brian.  If I hear anything new, I'll add to this post.

https://register-pajaronian.com/article/downed-power-lines-snag-motorcyclist
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: Brian T. Rice seriously injured in freak accident
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 11:57:53 PM »

Damn, that's terrible.  Hope he is ok.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 03:25:19 AM »

Update from ElectricTerry on Facebook:

Update: He was airlifted to Santa Clara Hospital ICU Friday afternoon. He is alive and can write to communicate but is unable to talk. I friended his GF Eli on FB and messaged her. All he has been able to write on a piece of paper to her is "I thought they were on the ground" meaning the powerlines.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »

Brian's girlfriend is keeping everyone updated in the link above.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 07:21:02 PM »

Latest update from Eli.  They've installed a PEG (the feeding tube mentioned below) so he gets a nutrient solution directly into his stomach; his mouth is incapable of chewing food at this point.  They are going to reconstruct his mouth so that he can.  Now this should make some sense (if you haven't been keeping up at the CaringBridge site linked above):

"We're expecting Brian to move to Stanford hospital tomorrow in preparation for reconstructive surgery Wednesday. There is a small chance that they make the move in the middle of the night tonight, though I'm really hoping not.

"It was a fairly quiet day. Brian had a low fever, which can happen sometimes after surgery - and the feeding tube was put in yesterday. Overall, very tired but feeling well enough to be a bit bored and fidgety, which is a good sign. Brian would really like beer and pizza."
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 11:41:10 PM »

I mean the chain of events to cause this sounds like a super hero action movie.  What are the odds?
It's still a long rough road but that's good to hear.  Pizza and Beer can cure most things.   ;)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 08:12:57 AM »

I mean the chain of events to cause this sounds like a super hero action movie.  What are the odds?
It's still a long rough road but that's good to hear.  Pizza and Beer can cure most things.   ;)

Somebody on Facebook mentioned that.  Guy riding electric motorcycle hits downed powerline and ends up in the hospital.  How many months before he discovers he has electric super powers?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 07:59:19 PM »

I really hope the reconstructive surgery goes well and Brian heals back fast. This is so sad!
2020 Zero SR/F

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »

July 10th update from Eli:

"Brian is out of surgery and recovering! Everything went well. The only issue is that there is more soft tissue in the mouth than is needed. Apparently you need to take tissue in a "block size." As with sculpting, it's much better to take more and trim later than to take too little, which Dr. Divi had noted prior to the surgery. This means that once everything heals in a few weeks, Brian will need another (much more minor) surgery to trim the tissue. Bone and blood source reconstruction went well. The team will watch Brian carefully in the next 72 hours to make sure everything continues well with the blood supply to the bone. Brian is now recovering and I should be able to visit in about an hour or so. "
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »

There is a fundraiser for Brian that I posted to facebook this afternoon.  The overwhelming support for Brian has been amazing!  Thanks everyone!  I know there are some here who don't use facebook so I'll post here also.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/brian-t-rice

**moderator edit Shadow 11-Aug**  Also for reference the thread at EMF here: A Fundraiser for Brian   was formerly set sticky and noted here for future reference.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:26:44 AM by Shadow »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »

Latest update from Eli:

"The initial recovery is rough, though expected. Brian's pain just after returning from post-op yesterday was at 8 - I don't think Brian had rated it quite that high in the ICU. Because the tissue flap in the mouth is thicker than would have been optimal (that's down to one's individual anatomy), it means that they will definitely have the trach and stomach tube in after discharge: roughly 2 weeks longer. There is a lot of mass in the mouth right now, and Brian won't be talking for a while. The flap will slowly shrink down on its own, but as noted before it will be at least several weeks more before a further sculpting procedure can be done. Overall things are continuing to proceed well: the nurses got Brian up in a chair for a while today (with a boot on the surgery donor leg), and Brian is alert and interacting here and there on the iPhone."
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 11:06:06 PM »

Latest update says that Brian has been discharged and is now healing up at home.  Likely it won't be long before he's online and updating us himself.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 03:23:15 AM »

Latest update says that Brian has been discharged and is now healing up at home.  Likely it won't be long before he's online and updating us himself.

Wonderful news!  I wish him a speedy recovery. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 03:48:13 AM »

Likely it won't be long before he's online and updating us himself.

In my experience, recovery is a very boring process. I might as well have had my laptop computer grafted on.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: [1] 2 3