• June 26, 2024, 04:34:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: SR/F observations and questions  (Read 7073 times)

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: SR/F observations and questions
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2019, 02:09:54 AM »

The level 2 charging protocol communicates between the bike and the charger for power available. It would just use 8kW.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2019, 02:52:11 AM »

Dealer told me to make sure I check tension a few times during the first few hundred miles and tighten if needed.

I should probably figure out this belt tension check that people talk about.
What do I need to know?  Do I buy a tool?
I recall an app that would record the twang when you plucked the belt.  Is that applicable to the SR/F?

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2019, 02:58:47 AM »

I forgot to mention, the ride is a little hard to my liking.  I was going to investigate softening up the suspension a bit.!
Steve, just to comment on the ride - I did notice a breakin period on the suspension.  The first 400-500 miles were rather rigid.  Now it is noticeably smoother.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2019, 03:58:37 AM »

Pretty accurate and fair first ride review of the Zero SR/F: https://www.cycleworld.com/2020-zero-sr-f-electric-motorcycle-first-ride/

(The only thing I caught that wasn't completely accurate is the 1 hour charge time...that's only if you have the Premium with the additional 6kw Rapid Charger and even then you need a 12kw Level 2 charger to achieve that)

I note when looking for a date it says two hours ago.  Have to ask are you with cycle World?  I would expect a date like a calendar.

They left out the size of the rear wheel in the specs. at least at this time

What is the mph at that 4000 rpm where max hp is reached?

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2019, 04:05:05 AM »

Have to ask are you with cycle World?

LOL...no. Just hungry for any and all info on the SR/F and other electric motorcycles. I was a little surprised when I saw the Cycle World article online and even more surprised at the amount of detail compared to other sites.

I would still like to see some kind of shootout done with the SR/F, the Strike, and the Energicas (EVA and/or EsseEsse9). I'm going to test ride the Energicas this weekend just to do my due diligence but based on features and warranty, I'm expecting to stick with the SR/F as my new daily commuter. Then again, never say never...trying to keep an open mind.

I do know that the Strike is a non-starter for me as a daily rider...too aggressive of a riding position for my old back and no information on warranty or how to obtain service if needed.
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

gadgetgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2019, 04:45:08 AM »

That Cycle World article says
We were also wowed by the Zero’s acceleration (it pulled 0 to 60 mph in 1.57 seconds in Sport Mode)

That can’t be right. Isn’t it closer to 3s?
Current: 2020 SR/F Premium Seabright Blue (J1772)
Former: 2011 VRSCDX Sedona Orange

BigPoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2019, 04:51:58 AM »

I question that 0-60 time as well. Everything else I've read points to a 3.5s 0-60 time. I guess it's possible the 3.5s is in Street mode and 1.57s was in Sport mode but yeah...definitely make you go "hmmmm". 1.57s 0-60 times would mean the SR/F is comparable to Lightning's LS-218 or better (I don't recall their actual 0-60 time, just that it was ridiculously low).
2023 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2019, 05:12:56 AM »

Dealer told me to make sure I check tension a few times during the first few hundred miles and tighten if needed.

I should probably figure out this belt tension check that people talk about.
What do I need to know?  Do I buy a tool?
I recall an app that would record the twang when you plucked the belt.  Is that applicable to the SR/F?
The app is applicable on any bike if they specify the frequency in the owners manual. I know Zero has the specs in their owners manuals. Or you can buy a tool on amazon.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2019, 05:16:49 AM »

That Cycle World article says
We were also wowed by the Zero’s acceleration (it pulled 0 to 60 mph in 1.57 seconds in Sport Mode)

That can’t be right. Isn’t it closer to 3s?

It's very possible they got that number from a dyno which would be very misleading but I've seen it done. No way to pop a wheelie on a dyno.

I just read the cycleworls article and that's exactly how they got that number. Not that hard to believe. Lightning LS218 got their numbers the same way.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:52:22 AM by alko »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2019, 07:28:23 AM »

The level 2 charging protocol communicates between the bike and the charger for power available. It would just use 8kW.
That's great. But I have heard of guys overloading stations and the J- station goes dead as if a circuit breaker tripped somewhere.

So when this happens, what is going on?

-Don- Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »

@DonTom
When overloading occurs, the onboard charger doesn't respect the PWM signal the controller sends out.
A controller in an EVSE will send out a specific signal indicating the stations max charge current.
This signal is a guideline, and should be respected, but not all chargers do.

IIRC (and do feel free to correct me on this, those that have correcting facts) DigiNow is one of such chargers.. They require you to manually set the amperage level of their charger.. if this is set higher than the EVSE, the breaker will trip.

There could also be situations where the EVSE is improperly configured and sends a signal of higher A than the breaker is calibrated for. (ie if the breaker is 16A and the charger is set at 16A, making the breaker release in about 1 hour)..

Neuer_User

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »

... to manually set the amperage level of their charger.. if this is set higher than the EVSE, the breaker will trip.
And the max amperage of an EVSE is dynamic. I had one here that typically gave 8A on three phases each without problems, and the other days tripped when only pulling 4A. I assume the station communication signal will have sent this info, but my charger is (currently still) not able to read this.

@DonTom: The SR/F is different, as Zero has (probably) correctly implemented the full charging protocol including the reading of this max amp signal. DigiNows do not read that signal as do currently no other third party solution for the Zero SR/DSR/DS/S/FX/FXS line of bikes.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2019, 04:44:27 PM »

I forgot to mention, the ride is a little hard to my liking.  I was going to investigate softening up the suspension a bit.!
Steve, just to comment on the ride - I did notice a breakin period on the suspension.  The first 400-500 miles were rather rigid.  Now it is noticeably smoother.

Thanks, I am close to 400 miles now and can already feel the difference (big difference really).  FYI, I've had no problems with charging stations at work, and my JuiceBox Pro 40 at home.  I can top off the bike on both ends of my 50 mile commute in 75 minutes.  I like being able to limit the SOC on charging as well.  No problems so far.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2019, 11:22:40 PM »

Thanks, I am close to 400 miles now and can already feel the difference (big difference really).  FYI, I've had no problems with charging stations at work, and my JuiceBox Pro 40 at home.  I can top off the bike on both ends of my 50 mile commute in 75 minutes.  I like being able to limit the SOC on charging as well.  No problems so far.

Steve

Are you guys sure that the suspension getting smoother isn't just the result of you getting used to it?😄

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2019, 11:22:52 PM »

@Neur_User is right. The charge station has dynamic limits, and some stations will limit more than others. Both the 6kW charge tank Zero sells and the SR/F charge modules read and observe that signal.

I had some issues with my charge tank on my DSR where the bike would stop charging after a while at work. Zero told me they found some stations expect the charger to ramp current up and down faster, and they had to update the firmware to correct it. One firmware update later and the Chargepoint station at work was happy :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9