• June 26, 2024, 04:37:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: SR/F observations and questions  (Read 7074 times)

ZeroBrian

• Charging Forward!
    • View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
Re: SR/F observations and questions
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 08:36:52 PM »

I'm approaching 500 miles on my personal bike (Boardwalk Red, Premium) and love it!

Off topic but I see you're signed up for Refuel in the production class; are you bringing your SR/F to the mix?
I was hoping to attend, but I'll be headed to Pikes Peak to support the race team there instead.  Unfortunately, SpeedVentures is notorious for scheduling their event on the same exact day as Pikes Peak year after year despite complaints every year.  Luckily, Kenyon Kluge and Jamie Perugini will be there with their SR/F bikes to set a fast time.   
VP of Product Development

2020 Zero SR/F, Boardwalk Red, Premium

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 03:51:00 AM »

I was hoping to attend, but I'll be headed to Pikes Peak to support the race team there instead.  Unfortunately, SpeedVentures is notorious for scheduling their event on the same exact day as Pikes Peak year after year despite complaints every year.  Luckily, Kenyon Kluge and Jamie Perugini will be there with their SR/F bikes to set a fast time.

Yeah it's incredibly frustrating to be pulled in two directions like that, especially with Seca in your back yard making it soooo enticing. I notice Kenyon is signed up on a 2018 SR and Jamie doesn't even list a bike. Good to know and we'll miss you this Sunday!

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »

I like to crunch numbers.
Total Miles on my SR/F 584
Total charge hours 61.77
(120V 11A ish)
9.4 miles per hour
Charge minutes/mile 6.3

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »

My SR/F sings at that speed range.
It growls if you whack the throttle off the line.  I assume this is the belt/tooth noise.
A wet belt makes a similar growl even without going full throttle (because, you know, wet)

I would check the belt tension. If it were me, I would loosen the belt to the lower end of the recommendation. It may help reduce the noise. I know by experience a tight belt is noisier.

Do not loosen the belt unless you want to risk skipping a tooth and breaking it.  The belts break in over a period of about 200 miles in my experience and that low groan goes away or is greatly reduced.  Same thing to keep in mind on the suspension... until you hit about 400 miles, it's going to feel a bit more harsh than intended. 

Can I quote you on that for the unofficial manual?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 11:26:27 PM »

Qualitatively, I can confirm that the suspension is more comfortable after 500+ miles.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2019, 12:23:52 AM »

[/quote]

Do not loosen the belt unless you want to risk skipping a tooth and breaking it.  The belts break in over a period of about 200 miles in my experience and that low groan goes away or is greatly reduced.  Same thing to keep in mind on the suspension... until you hit about 400 miles, it's going to feel a bit more harsh than intended. 

I'm approaching 500 miles on my personal bike (Boardwalk Red, Premium) and love it!
[/quote]

I have the belt tension between 25-30kg which is the minimum range for my 2017 dsr and no sign of wear after 7000 miles. Tried different tensions but didn t like the noise caused by tighter belt. Do you have personal experience with belt damage while using the minimum tension?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:25:29 AM by alko »

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2019, 04:12:19 AM »

I got to test ride one yesterday at Randy’s cycle in Illinois.  Compared to my 19 SR it looked really nice.  Much more refined.  Lots more torque. I rode it at 45% SOC, no trouble at all.  100% should be a lot more fun (scary).

I hope the charge tank is a 7.2.  Looks like there is room.  That would make up for lost range compared to my SR with power tank.

When I got back with 25% power, we plug in the dealers level 2 charger.  Time to charge 1 hour and 20 minutes.  It was charging at 5.8 kWhs. 

Great bike.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2019, 06:05:05 AM »

I hope the charge tank is a 7.2.  Looks like there is room.  That would make up for lost range compared to my SR with power tank.
Did you mean power tank there?

Anyway, I expect it will be a 3.6 battery in the power tank. They say the range will be 200 miles WITH the power tank (city) which is a couple of miles LESS than my 2017 SR with power tank, which is only 16.3 KWH total compared to the 18 KWH of the SR/F. The extra weight of the SR/F  loses more than the  10% gain of the larger battery by Zero's own specs.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crilly

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2019, 08:13:13 AM »

Of coarse power tank.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2019, 04:59:47 PM »

Oh, another observation.
The mirrors are not far enough outboard for me.  If I have them aimed in far enough to see the lane behind me, I mostly see my own elbows.
On my bicycle I have bar-end mirrors and can see around my own fat body.  I am going to have to look around for a solution that moves the mirrors further out.

Thanks for the reminder.  I took off my mirror extenders from my DSR this morning.  I'm picking up my SR/F on Monday and the DSR is going in on trade.  I'll let you know how the extenders work out.  Super stoked to get on the new bike, but I really hate to let the old one go.  No room in the garage (or pocketbook) for two bikes.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2019, 05:06:21 PM »

Thanks for the reminder.  I took off my mirror extenders from my DSR this morning.  I'm picking up my SR/F on Monday and the DSR is going in on trade.  I'll let you know how the extenders work out.  Super stoked to get on the new bike, but I really hate to let the old one go.  No room in the garage (or pocketbook) for two bikes.

Steve

Congrats, Steve, tomorrow will be a big day: Enjoy that bad boy!
When you get a chance later on, could you please post your findings on the subject discussed on this thread?
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9114.0
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:08:06 PM by NetPro »
2020 Zero SR/F

rogerdata

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2019, 09:30:48 PM »

The turn signal is a switch that slides side to side.  It is located directly under the larger mode switch that also slides side to side.  Operating the mode switch when intending to make a turn helps nobody.  Even after I caught myself erroneously using the mode switch, I still hit it at the next several uses.  I will continue to concentrate on using the proper switch and train my thumb.

The rear brake does not have as much authority as I expect.  Granted, this is my first sporty bike.  It might be a characteristic of the bike style.  The front brakes *certainly* has authority in abundance.  Does the ABS affect the rear?

Most of the braking is always in the front--by far--on any bike. Any yes, the ABS has to work with both brakes.

BTW, does the SR/F have self- cancelling turn signals?

-Don-  Reno, NV
No self cancelling turn signals!

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 09:38:53 PM »

I saw it cancel itself in one of the ride review videos.  It takes about 1 minute for it to happen.  Also you have to be moving forward for that minute being that it how it senses when to turn it off.  So it is either a bug in the software why it is not cancelling or wasn't left on for over a minute while moving.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

rogerdata

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2019, 09:46:25 PM »

I saw it cancel itself in one of the ride review videos.  It takes about 1 minute for it to happen.  Also you have to be moving forward for that minute being that it how it senses when to turn it off.  So it is either a bug in the software why it is not cancelling or wasn't left on for over a minute while moving.
Left on for much more than a minute. Tried this several times yesterday and under different lean in turns. Nothing, had to cancel manually. I have put over 300 miles on the bike at this time almost all city and country back roads. Also have had two software update and still no self cancelling!

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »

The good news is you'll never have to take it in to get the self canceling turn signals fixed.  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9